Feral Kitten 10-11 Weeks Old....how Like To Socialize For Adoption?

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten (and there are likely more). It'a about 10-11 weeks old. How likely can it be socialized in a few weeks? I have a place that will take it to adopt out, but they say it must be socialized. Anyone have any success? Any good advice. I have a large dog crate and will keep it in a room by itself. How often do I have to handle it? Thanks in advanc.e

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You came to the right place for good kitty advice! There are lots of people who can share lots of tips, as many of us have gone through socializing kittens. And thank you so much for caring enough to take the time to work with this little ones to help them find forever homes!!!! The world needs alot more of people as caring as you!

I'll log back on later today (so sorry - - I can't spend more time answering right now - - but I definitely will! I have to leave for an appointment) but once I'm back I can shoot you some things to try that have worked for me as far as socializing (in the meantime - others are likely to weigh in too).

Depending on how truly feral he is (and a few other factors), two weeks is a pretty short time period for him to reach a stage where he's socialized enough to go to a rescue (is that where he'd be going?). Shelters/rescues - - with all of their commotion, "strange" people, noises, etc. - can make even a very socialized cat/kitten scared and withdrawn. But every cat/kitten is different. And he's still young - - so the likelihood that he can be socialized is far better than an older kitten. Have you already brought him in, and if so, how did you get him into your crate? Are you able to handle him at all? And is there a reason that it would have to be socialized in that short time period? Will the person (or organization) not take him after that time period ---or can you buy more time if you need it?

I'll log on a little later soon as I'm back, but in the meantime - - there are a few articles I've referred to alot myself when I first began socializing ferals. And these are all well-respected places/organizations - - but that said, we all do things a little differently, generally based on what's worked for us in the past. So suggestions you get from members on this site may not exactly match everything written on the links below, but reading these can at least give you a headstart informationally (which will probably lead you to even more questions :) ) !

How to Socialize a Kitten

The Best Age for Taming Feral Kittens

Feral Kittens — Kitten Lady

http://www.urbancatleague.org/TamingFerals?0-1.ILinkListener-printFriendly

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indeed, we all do things differently. I'm a bit more direct in dealing with feral kittens than many people are, within three days I'm handling them with welding gloves and a welding shirt on squishing them to me while carrying them around and petting them (and they're purring), but it really depends on the kittens. Two of the last batch were ready within three weeks having successfully navigated out of the kitten condo (the tall cage I had them in at the start) to the kitten room then to the wider house, the other one needed a month more because he was really skittish. They all have their own personality and it really isn't possible to say how long it will take for any specific kitten, because they're individuals and unique.

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have experience in this. I kept my kittens in a large cage in the main living area so they were always with us, and the top was covered along with the sides so there was a place to hide. I’d take the kittens out one at a time every hour or so. I didn’t use gloves but I did grab them with a small towel — usually a hand towel or flour sack towel.

The key was to not look the kitten in the face and to make one smooth move. Scruffing makes a feral kitten quite easy to handle, as does keeping its back to you. They tend to be more hiss than anything at that age.

Once out of the cage, I swaddled the kitten with the towel, sat down with it, and proceeded to feed it Gerber Baby Food #2 chicken and gravy from the tip of my pinky finger. Even the most resistant cat can’t hold out for long. After some feeding, I pet it for a minute or so, holding it to my chest so it hears my heartbeat.

I keep these sessions short at first but increase the time and frequency until I don’t need to swaddle anymore. At 8-10 weeks, it was just a few days. At 12 weeks, probably a good week. Every night at bedtime, I’d cover the cage completely so the kittens would have quiet time.

You’ll find the kitten gets less and less hissy and eventually you’ll leave the cage door open so the kitten can come in and out as desired. Playing with the kitten is going to help a lot, too. I used to crumple up a sticky note and the kittens loved to chase it.

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You came to the right place for good kitty advice! There are lots of people who can share lots of tips, as many of us have gone through socializing kittens. And thank you so much for caring enough to take the time to work with this little ones to help them find forever homes!!!! The world needs alot more of people as caring as you!

I'll log back on later today (so sorry - - I can't spend more time answering right now - - but I definitely will! I have to leave for an appointment) but once I'm back I can shoot you some things to try that have worked for me as far as socializing (in the meantime - others are likely to weigh in too).

Depending on how truly feral he is (and a few other factors), two weeks is a pretty short time period for him to reach a stage where he's socialized enough to go to a rescue (is that where he'd be going?). Shelters/rescues - - with all of their commotion, "strange" people, noises, etc. - can make even a very socialized cat/kitten scared and withdrawn. But every cat/kitten is different. And he's still young - - so the likelihood that he can be socialized is far better than an older kitten. Have you already brought him in, and if so, how did you get him into your crate? Are you able to handle him at all? And is there a reason that it would have to be socialized in that short time period? Will the person (or organization) not take him after that time period ---or can you buy more time if you need it?

I'll log on a little later soon as I'm back, but in the meantime - - there are a few articles I've referred to alot myself when I first began socializing ferals. And these are all well-respected places/organizations - - but that said, we all do things a little differently, generally based on what's worked for us in the past. So suggestions you get from members on this site may not exactly match everything written on the links below, but reading these can at least give you a headstart informationally (which will probably lead you to even more questions :) ) !

How to Socialize a Kitten

The Best Age for Taming Feral Kittens

Feral Kittens — Kitten Lady

http://www.urbancatleague.org/TamingFerals?0-1.ILinkListener-printFriendly
I absolutely LOVE the Kitten Lady!

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got a 16-20 week old feral kitten and I could pet it in less than 48 hours. I don't care what anyone says--they can be tamed.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They definitely can be - - like people they're all different! I think it's just that the odds of being able to "easily" socialize (particularly depending on what you consider "socialized"!) are rougher as they age. Our sweetheart "Flick" goes almost 100% against every feral "rule" and experience I'd ever had, and I've had alot! :) We know her entire history so know she was completely feral, and though we didn't trap her until she was an adult (so talk about we "shouldn't have been able to socialize!") she's now a 100% indoor kitty and the love of our lives (don't tell our other kitties) and the most outgoing, compassionate, loving lap cat I've ever had. If I sit down for a minute she's on my lap, with purr you can hear down the hall! She's always the first to reach out to visitors - -be they human or foster and furry! But on the other end of the spectrum - - her brother is outside, and I work with him daily, but it's taken 4 years and just a few weeks ago was finally able to actually give him a chin scratch! So even within family, they're all different!

(and yes - - gotta love "kitty crack" - - the chicken Gerber baby food!!! It's given me more kitty breakthroughs than anything!)

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They definitely can be - - like people they're all different! I think it's just that the odds of being able to "easily" socialize (particularly depending on what you consider "socialized"!) are rougher as they age. Our sweetheart "Flick" goes almost 100% against every feral "rule" and experience I'd ever had, and I've had alot! :) We know her entire history so know she was completely feral, and though we didn't trap her until she was an adult (so talk about we "shouldn't have been able to socialize!") she's now a 100% indoor kitty and the love of our lives (don't tell our other kitties) and the most outgoing, compassionate, loving lap cat I've ever had. If I sit down for a minute she's on my lap, with purr you can hear down the hall! She's always the first to reach out to visitors - -be they human or foster and furry! But on the other end of the spectrum - - her brother is outside, and I work with him daily, but it's taken 4 years and just a few weeks ago was finally able to actually give him a chin scratch! So even within family, they're all different!

(and yes - - gotta love "kitty crack" - - the chicken Gerber baby food!!! It's given me more kitty breakthroughs than anything!)
The baby food worked wonders but wow her poop is getting stinky from the change in diet! LOL

My mother socialized a completely feral adult cat in about 3 weeks and she was the best cat ever. She would never let you pick her up, but she was the sweetest, gentlest most affectionate cat ever.

One of mine was a feral at one point who was TNR about 6 years ago. A few people had tried to bring her inside several times but she was having none of it, so she became the neighborhood cat that everyone looked out for and fed. My neighbor across the street fed her for about 3 years before she let the husband (never the wife) pet her. A couple of months later, she migrated to our side of the street, probably because they were having a raccoon problem on the other side. Little by little she made it to my front porch and just never left. We could pet her in days. I bought her a heated house and worried sick over her all last winter. Around the end of March she was acting funny, like she wasn't feeling well. She was also acting like she couldn't hear. So I took her to the vet. She had a massive chronic ear infection with probable hearing damage. So I brought her inside and she's been a couch potato ever since.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read your note aloud to my hubby and said "I think you're married to WoodstockGirl WoodstockGirl "! Your story and Flick's story are SO similar! My hubby's always the strong, sensible one, reminding me gently every time we foster or bring in someone to socialize, that we can't keep them as we usually "already have plenty" (I always say if he's not around, I'll die under a pile of former foster kittens I couldn't return). Flick (who lived her first few years a street over from us) moved to our yard bc a family with a dog who hated cats (ok, not a raccoon) moved into the home where she'd been fed for years. So you can guess my surprise when I wake up one day, open the back door, and a pink cat bed is on our back steps, and hubby says "I've been tossing Flick ham when I garden, and she deserves somewhere soft to sleep." Cut to months later, when a neighbor began to poison all of the "*$?@5 cats" in the neighborhood .....hubby was the first one to say "we ought to see if Flick wants to come inside."

Cut to couch potato.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read your note aloud to my hubby and said "I think you're married to WoodstockGirl WoodstockGirl "! Your story and Flick's story are SO similar! My hubby's always the strong, sensible one, reminding me gently every time we foster or bring in someone to socialize, that we can't keep them as we usually "already have plenty" (I always say if he's not around, I'll die under a pile of former foster kittens I couldn't return). Flick (who lived her first few years a street over from us) moved to our yard bc a family with a dog who hated cats (ok, not a raccoon) moved into the home where she'd been fed for years. So you can guess my surprise when I wake up one day, open the back door, and a pink cat bed is on our back steps, and hubby says "I've been tossing Flick ham when I garden, and she deserves somewhere soft to sleep." Cut to months later, when a neighbor began to poison all of the "*$?@5 cats" in the neighborhood .....hubby was the first one to say "we ought to see if Flick wants to come inside."

Cut to couch potato.

LOL!!! I think your hubby is married to my boyfriend! He won't admit it, but he's a cat man. He doesn't even tell me I'm one cat short of crazy anymore. He just rolls with it!

What a cutie! Couch potato indeed!

There is a special place in hell for people who poison animals like that.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crack me up! My hubby was a self-professed "dog guy" who didn't "get cats" because they're "all the same." Think he's changed a bit? Again, I refer to pink bed on back steps. I rest my case.

(and I dust that example off and use it constantly with him :flail:)

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crack me up! My hubby was a self-professed "dog guy" who didn't "get cats" because they're "all the same." Think he's changed a bit? Again, I refer to pink bed on back steps. I rest my case.

(and I dust that example off and use it constantly with him :flail:)
Mine hasn't done anything like that but he not so secretly loves it when they nap on him. He will never admit it, though.