feral in the house

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whre do i begin we hae one very friendly feral in our colony born in our yard April 2020 who likes to sneak in the house shes a beautiful black calic tuxedo named April anyway i cant count how amany times ive shooed her out or scooped her up despite her protests scruffed with other hand under her booty and put her back ot , well today as we were headed put the door for the family lunchen at a local restarunt before my aunts husbands funeral we never noticed April sneak past us into the house affter lunchen before meeting at a different aunts home and sending my grandfather with aunt number 3 to aunt 2's home i detoured back to the house so could take the dog out as shed had diarreha yeserday and the day before and we had switced foods yesterday to a vet perscribed food,anyway i get home let my self in and i see april striding out of the kitchen as if se lived here Mignon waa facenatedly starring at her Marie LIl bit and even Caramel were on the sofa and dinnig table watching her as well and royal was pawing at my bedroom door where he's confined when i'm not home so he and Mignon dont kill each other as he was nutered yesterday and is still a bit slug a bed today. but anyone else ever have a feral who got in their home for an hour- hour and a half?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have one who got in 16 years ago and has lived inside for all that time as a completely unsociable feral. I brought her in as kitten and never realized, back than, that some ferals never cross over into domestication. Latest is that Eve wants to be in my bathroom on the tile but does not want me to use the room. However, this is not exactly what you asked.

Yes, your scenario has happened to me as well and I assume you can get her back out?

terricacatwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve only ever brought ferals in from the outside after they were injured and in both instances was able to socialize them. One of them, Ernie, had spent the first 19 years of his life outside and seemed completely feral, even hissing at me often when I would put out his food in the morning. I brought him inside after a very serious injury at age 19. It took him 3 months to recover and by the time he was healed he was mostly socialized (with some feral fear tendencies still remaining). He was clearly ready to be indoor only. He spent the final year of his life enjoying a life of luxury and gave some of the sweetest love I’ve ever received from a cat, rolling over for me to rub his belly and constantly being by my side. He became a huge comfort to me, in a way that even my other cats (who were kept separate from him) weren’t. I had to euthanize Ernie a few weeks ago and still miss him dearly. I’m so grateful for the year we got to have together, though part of me will always regret that I didn’t try to socialize him sooner (even though I think he really wasn’t ready to come inside until the point when he actually did).

I’ve never had a feral come inside willingly however. I wish the two that I currently feed on my porch would want to though as my street is really dangerous for cats. It sounds like your feral would really like to be an indoor cat! Is it mostly a matter that you already have too many animals inside that you don’t want to keep her inside? If not I’d say it’s worth a shot to see how she does as a house cat. Even though I know a majority of ferals would never want to live inside, based on my experience with the feral I brought in - he ended up being the sweetest cat I could have ever asked for.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If Ernie lived for 19 years, he did everything that a cat can do, both outdoor, and then as an indoor cat. He probably considered his life to be pretty remarkable as he looked back over it. When he needed care and a home, he got one.

While I don't count rescued feral babies as feral as they are young enough to socialize (except Eve), I have brought in 4 adult ferals who were happy to turn in their feral card.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one who got in 16 years ago and has lived inside for all that time as a completely unsociable feral. I brought her in as kitten and never realized, back than, that some ferals never cross over into domestication. Latest is that Eve wants to be in my bathroom on the tile but does not want me to use the room. However, this is not exactly what you asked.

Yes, your scenario has happened to me as well and I assume you can get her back out?
lol yes shes back out i can pick her up or simply use the SBOP (Squirt Bottle of Power)