Feral in my garage

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! Always such a joy to see him zooming around the shed and wiggling his butt!! Did he jump up to look out the window near the end? Hopefully he will use his outside space when the weather warms.
Yes! He does jump up at dusk and at night to look out the window. I’ve left the window door propped open during the day but he’s usually sleeping then. I’m a bit hesitant to leave it propped open at night. I don’t want him going out in the dark and panicking.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! He does jump up at dusk and at night to look out the window. I’ve left the window door propped open during the day but he’s usually sleeping then. I’m a bit hesitant to leave it propped open at night. I don’t want him going out in the dark and panicking.
I agree. Definitely best to keep him inside during the night. I bet he will venture out when the weather improves.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone ❤

I don’t seem to get push notifications and so didn’t know you’d reached out. Thanks for checking in.

It’s now been over 10 MONTHS that Oscar has been in his bachelor pad. Can you believe it? It was just after 4th of July weekend last summer that I was finally able to trap him.

He seems fine; eating and using the litter box like a champ. He’s a super clean kitty. So that’s all good.

Sadly, we haven’t made any progress with our relationship.He immediately zooms up to the loft when I head out to the shed. I sit in there and talk to him but admittedly- not as much as I should. I will say that he enjoys looking at the window. I did take the screen door opening off and so at night he’s had the ability to go out into the catio - but he doesn’t. He actually seems more calm when the window is closed. Here we think he wants to escape but from a survival mindset - he may figure “why leave when I know I’m safe?” I don’t know.

I’ve uploaded a video of him at the window. I was outside with the dogs and the window was open. You can see him wait to jump up since he doesn’t want to be seen. Then he gets up the courage since he wanted to watch us!

I hope everyone is well ❤❤

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It’s now been over 10 MONTHS that Oscar has been in his bachelor pad. Can you believe it? It was just after 4th of July weekend last summer that I was finally able to trap him.
Wow! Time really flies.

He seems fine; eating and using the litter box like a champ. He’s a super clean kitty. So that’s all good.
That's great to hear! :clapcat: He has superb room service and he's not complaining:lol:

Sadly, we haven’t made any progress with our relationship.He immediately zooms up to the loft when I head out to the shed. I sit in there and talk to him but admittedly- not as much as I should. I will say that he enjoys looking at the window. I did take the screen door opening off and so at night he’s had the ability to go out into the catio - but he doesn’t. He actually seems more calm when the window is closed. Here we think he wants to escape but from a survival mindset - he may figure “why leave when I know I’m safe?” I don’t know.
Slow progress is better than no progress. I think he's a shy cat and that's why he zoom to the loft when you enter his house. Otherwise, he'll hiss at you with fur standing up when he see you.

Yea, why leave when he is leaving in a safe castle with superb room service?

I was outside with the dogs and the window was open. You can see him wait to jump up since he doesn’t want to be seen. Then he gets up the courage since he wanted to watch us!
He's peeking at you and he knows that is you else he won't jump up and look out the window. I think in his heart he cares for you and he miss you.

Well, it's great to see Oscar enjoying his castle :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has to know me . . . and when he flys up to his loft if I come in, he doesn't do it with the same level of panic that he did two years ago. So maybe we have made 1 percent progress? :yess:

I did put the trap in there in the front of the shed. Franky, I really don't like this house. His shed rocks, but it's not great for me. If I can find another house, I would have to trap him and see if I could get the shed picked up and moved. I am not thinking about that now . . . I will cross that bridge when I come to it. He is already my 60,000 cat since that is what I lost on missing the market on my house sale :stars: But I would do it again. Maybe that's why I am not rich . . . my priorities are not financial but rather, kindness based.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has to know me . . . and when he flys up to his loft if I come in, he doesn't do it with the same level of panic that he did two years ago. So maybe we have made 1 percent progress? :yess:

I did put the trap in there in the front of the shed. Franky, I really don't like this house. His shed rocks, but it's not great for me. If I can find another house, I would have to trap him and see if I could get the shed picked up and moved. I am not thinking about that now . . . I will cross that bridge when I come to it. He is already my 60,000 cat since that is what I lost on missing the market on my house sale :stars: But I would do it again. Maybe that's why I am not rich . . . my priorities are not financial but rather, kindness based.
TYSM for the Oscar UPdate and video! He's looking very floofescent and prosPURRous :lolup:
Do you like reading? You could try taking reading material in there and reading out loud to him. This is done in shelters and it helps to socialize the sheltered ones waiting for their loving homes. It acclimatizes them to human presence and voices.
And you ARE rich. Material things come and go. Love is forever.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks so much for the Oscar video and update. So wonderful to see him wanting to see what's going on with you and your dogs. Also wonderful to read that he doesn't seem as panicky when he dashes up to his loft when he hears you coming. Definitely baby steps, but he's totally in a better place than this time last year. Sorry you're not loving your home, though. Hopefully one day you'll find the right place for you and all your furbabies.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You gals are so sweet!!

Well, Oscar is fine. That said - I had a bit of a scare 2 weeks ago since he didn’t eat much for 3 days. It had gotten unseasonably warm - and I hesitated to put the air conditioner in since he loves the window.

So I bought all sorts of expensive food and hairball liquid and tried all that. I thought maybe he had an hairball with all that fur and no brushing. I worry. Anyway - Unfortunately he loves the most expense food 😩 - and he’s fine. Still no contact with me at all as he’s happy in his loft He has been getting braver and looking out the window around 7:30 pm when it’s still daylight. I even went and talked to him while outside and he didn’t flee. But I was 10 Ft away and outside. Kinda like when he was in the yard - I could get within 10 fr.

He hasn’t gone into the catio yet. I leave the swinging flap off the screen so there is a big hole there and he’s right at it - but he doesn’t go through. I think he feels safe in the shed so why risk it. I don’t think we appreciate how traumatic a lifestyle it is to be a single cat alone out in the wild.

I will attach a pic of him on the window ledge at the window opening.

A friend wants to buy me a rolling air conditioner so he will have the half top of the window but I’m not sure he will use it he window with an ac exhaust tube hooked up.

Thanks for caring about us ❤❤
IMG_3175.jpeg

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gals are so sweet!!

Well, Oscar is fine. That said - I had a bit of a scare 2 weeks ago since he didn’t eat much for 3 days. It had gotten unseasonably warm - and I hesitated to put the air conditioner in since he loves the window.

So I bought all sorts of expensive food and hairball liquid and tried all that. I thought maybe he had an hairball with all that fur and no brushing. I worry. Anyway - Unfortunately he loves the most expense food 😩 - and he’s fine. Still no contact with me at all as he’s happy in his loft He has been getting braver and looking out the window around 7:30 pm when it’s still daylight. I even went and talked to him while outside and he didn’t flee. But I was 10 Ft away and outside. Kinda like when he was in the yard - I could get within 10 fr.

He hasn’t gone into the catio yet. I leave the swinging flap off the screen so there is a big hole there and he’s right at it - but he doesn’t go through. I think he feels safe in the shed so why risk it. I don’t think we appreciate how traumatic a lifestyle it is to be a single cat alone out in the wild.

I will attach a pic of him on the window ledge at the window opening.

A friend wants to buy me a rolling air conditioner so he will have the half top of the window but I’m not sure he will use it he window with an ac exhaust tube hooked up.

Thanks for caring about us ❤❤View attachment 450280
AWWWW, so good to see/hear from you two! And of course, Oscar loves the $$$ food -- he IS the $60K cat, after all :redheartpump::blackcat2::redheartpump::goldstar:
I have a rolling evap cooler that we used in the barn compound up in the desert. It worked well in the dry heat. It has two reservoirs on either side of the unit that must be kept filled. If that sounds interesting you can just google it and find all kinds, in all price ranges, for all sizes of spaces. They only work in dry heat.
So good to see Oscar is doing well! and hoping to get more frequent updates and pix/videos if you are able!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AWWWW, so good to see/hear from you two! And of course, Oscar loves the $$$ food -- he IS the $60K cat, after all :redheartpump::blackcat2::redheartpump::goldstar:
I have a rolling evap cooler that we used in the barn compound up in the desert. It worked well in the dry heat. It has two reservoirs on either side of the unit that must be kept filled. If that sounds interesting you can just google it and find all kinds, in all price ranges, for all sizes of spaces. They only work in dry heat.
So good to see Oscar is doing well! and hoping to get more frequent updates and pix/videos if you are able!