Feral in my garage

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do sell microwave heat discs that can be added to bedding or to stray. You heat them in the microwave and then add to the space. When I used them years ago, they stayed warm 4-5 hours. You do need to reheat every day.

When I cared for my feral boys outside, I had a hound heater in an insulated cat house my DH built. I also used outdoor approved heat pads. We had electrical outlets outside, but we used many extension cords. The heat pads were the absolute favorite. The hound heater worked great. It was silent, but it would mean he would need to go into an insulated cat space.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014LJKUA/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFYLYW8/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ICGJZK/?tag=thecatsite

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom : How are you planning to keep Oscar's food and water from freezing when it's below 32F. Maybe you will need to use some sort of heater.
They sell heated bowls. When my cats were outside they usually ate the wet food right away or it would freeze. I always left dry food food out just in case. As long as he eats right away it shouldn’t be a problem.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
It is the same temperature or maybe a tad colder than the outside. That's because there is no insulation. Normally you would have a ceiling installed and inside of that you would put insulation . and then the plastic soffits on the side would be so it would breath and you'd have ventilation. There is no ceiling since that his where his loft is. So the air exchange up there lets in the air from the outside ongoing. The only difference is that there is no wind.

I could buy an oil heater - but again, it makes me nervous. I do plan on buying a heavy duty sleeping bag and putting it on the floor. I also have a little house in there with straw but he rarely goes in.
~ Oscar is already spoiled ... :catrub:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:) ~ I have enjoyed reading this cat drama 'Oscar's Adventure' . I feel like it's another chapter from one of James Harriot's books ..!
So nice to see a my fellow cat crazy people in action . View attachment 435232''
I actually wrote a novel that has a kitty in it as one of the stars.:) His name is Mr. Bellows and he's a gray kitty <3 I also used to write a newspaper column in the voice of my dog Benny <3 If you have any interest in the book - it's on Amazon under the title of One Ruby Button. I think you all would relate to the cat in. It takes place in New York City and the NYC landmarks in the book are factual. If you have any interest - don't be put off by the first few pages. I didn't know how to start the story and since sex sells, that is the first few pages to get people hooked. But it's the story that keeps you reading. No politics or pandemic so that's a relief.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well - I bought a couple of self-heating pads to put in the two little houses on either side of the couch. I also bought a self-heating pad that's really nice to put his little mat on. He comes down around 7 pm and lays on the mat, eats catnip, and bites the new big tuna flavored stuffed toy that I bought him.

I so wish I could see him beyond just on the camera, but the minute he hears my back door close - he heads up to his loft.

As far as freezing water - I did read that a rubber Fortex bowl resists freezing. I ordered one and will try that. I also ordered a silicone mat to place the bowl on. I go in there three times a day and so not worried about the water freezing too much. But I will see. If I have to run an extension cord - I will.

If it gets bad then I will run the extension cord definitely and put his heated bed out there. I used that in the garage when he was living in there. That was the same temp as the outside as well, only he didn't have the cushy bed, loft or heating pads. It was just a cement floor and some rafters. As cold as it is, there is no snow or rain or wind and so that helps.

I don't have a microwave and so the microwave discs are out. But I can continue to look into heaters.

Thanks for caring everyone <3

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, no microwave! Good for you! Sadly, I don't think I could live without one. Anyway, it sounds like you are making some good plans for Oscar for the winter. He is really a lucky little boy.

I totally understand being nervous about a heater, but I think with enough research and suggestions from the folks here, you will find one that you feel comfortable with. I'm sure you are aware, but there are certain extension cords that would be best for outdoor use. If and when you find a safe heater, you could always turn it on for an hour or so and spend that time in the shed with Oscar. Maybe increase the heater time as you feel more confident with it. That way, you also might be able to get Oscar to come down from the loft and a little bonding could occur!

Your novel looks interesting! I plan to order it! Will there be a second one in the series?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, no microwave! Good for you! Sadly, I don't think I could live without one. Anyway, it sounds like you are making some good plans for Oscar for the winter. He is really a lucky little boy.

I totally understand being nervous about a heater, but I think with enough research and suggestions from the folks here, you will find one that you feel comfortable with. I'm sure you are aware, but there are certain extension cords that would be best for outdoor use. If and when you find a safe heater, you could always turn it on for an hour or so and spend that time in the shed with Oscar. Maybe increase the heater time as you feel more confident with it. That way, you also might be able to get Oscar to come down from the loft and a little bonding could occur!

Your novel looks interesting! I plan to order it! Will there be a second one in the series?
Oh thanks so much for your support :) If you do read it - I would love your feedback since I am starting to write the second in the series. With all this moving and trying to get settled, having to pts my beloved german shepherd and dealing with the foster dog whom I still have - my writing has taken a back seat. The first novel was so much work but every time someone wrote a review that they loved it, I was thrilled and it made all the work worth it. You don't really make any money but to create a world and transport people there so they get involved is really wonderful.

I am watching Amazon prime days for a new laptop and a heater for my boy in the shed. Perhaps he will make it into my second novel. As it is, one of the characters adopts a senior cat and so you have that LOL. That's the fun about novels - you can make the ending anything you want. I wish life was like that . . although we all try our best :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so wish I could see him beyond just on the camera, but the minute he hears my back door close - he heads up to his loft.
Wow! No problem with his ears! Wonder if you went out the front door if you could "surprise" him. Course he'd probably still run as soon as he heard you at the shed door. :sigh:

Your book sounds interesting. Good luck with the 2nd one.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! No problem with his ears! Wonder if you went out the front door if you could "surprise" him. Course he'd probably still run as soon as he heard you at the shed door. :sigh:

Your book sounds interesting. Good luck with the 2nd one.
I try to make it a point not to “surprise” him so he feels secure. I always knock and announce “Room service” LOL

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG - I went in this morning and Oscar was up in the loft. I was picking up the empty plate of food and there under the sofa was the bottom half of a dead mouse. OMG. Two feet, and a tail. I screamed.

I guess Oscar had a busy night. In addition to that - the thermal blanket I had laid on the floor was crumpled up in the corner of the shed and the toys were strewn around.

I survived picking up the part of the mouse, and am glad the video cam didn't record the homicide.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
under the sofa was the bottom half of a dead mouse. OMG. Two feet, and a tail. I screamed.

I guess Oscar had a busy night. In addition to that - the thermal blanket I had laid on the floor was crumpled up in the corner of the shed and the toys were strewn around.
Oscar had a late supper last night.

Thermal blanket was crumpled probably due to Oscar chasing the mouse around.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
there under the sofa was the bottom half of a dead mouse. OMG. Two feet, and a tail. I screamed.
I would have screamed too. :eek2: Poor mousie though. Guess that one was all for Oscar. Maybe next one will be left at the door entrance as a gift for his room service master. :petcat:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
OH, what lovely updates! I'm so glad you've closed on your house. A weight off. When I think about all I've spent on my pets over the years...it's a big chunk! But, looking at the other side, emotionally and lovingly, what they've given me...there's a price for everything.
The idea of a small house for Oscar sounds great. I use the body heat reflective blanket things, Gracie loves hers.
I have a heater in my birdbath outdoors for the winter with an outdoor extension cord and it works well to keep the water from freezing. It only keeps it warm enough to not freeze; I don't have to put it through a window though, and I have an outdoor electrical outlet.
Love the videos! He looks happy in there.
Oscar got a treat, a real mouse! If he keeps that up he'll get some extra moisture from the mousie! Maybe he's eating less because he's catching mice! And not leaving a morsel of them!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning.
This photo may not look like much - but I was thrilled and emotionally impacted.

There Oscar is, curled up in the little cat bed that I put in there. That’s a cheap old cat bed that I’d had several years. It was beloved by my late black Kitty “the Baby” who would sleep contentedly curled up in it. It’s been washed a million times and for a $12 bed - has stood the test of time.

My kitty the Baby passed 3 years ago and I miss him so much. I had found him and his litter dumped in the woods late November - more than 17 years prior, and while it took 5 hours - I found them all and I adopted him. He grew to be the sweetest and most loving soul I’ve ever known. He tended to every animal that I ever brought into my house - dog or cat. He used to jump up to the counter when I was washing dishes and stand there for me to wet him down he’d purr and purr and stamp his feet.

I loved him more than anything or anyone.

So to see Oscar curled up in his old bed and know that it’s probably the first cat bed that Oscar has ever know - brought me to tears.

67A0E8D6-555E-47F5-8B20-E185B790BB52.png