Feral in my garage

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s the little door in the screen. It’s super flimsy but thought it was good to try before I invest $$$ in the expensive ones.

I will prop it open one night next week. This week he can jump up and check out the screen.
View attachment 432096
This is amazing. State-of-the-art catio.
And soon, there will be leaves to play with and watch... ahh, kitty bliss!

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's got to be SOMEONE in your area who could help you to plug that hole in the soffit!!!
I can empathize with her as it's SO difficult to get anyone to help with electricity, carpentry, painting, stone wall repairs, etc., around here. But an ad in the paper might work, or those helper websites mentioned earlier. Of course, these kitties do get expensive, too! Love them though.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thumbtack.com worked for me. I like it better than the heavily advertised sites. Of course, I'm in a huge, heavily populated area where everything is VERY competitive.
I live in a more rural area and we use thumbtack all the time. It's still hard to find those that will show up, but there are usually so many to choose from.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I’ve got a lot to report back.

First the good news and that is that Oscar is fine. Still happily playing at night, eating fine and using the litter. It’s funny when I go in there in the morning and everything is strewn about - like a drunken party had transpired the night before!

He has yet to venture into the catio. He really is so very feral. I don’t like leaving the window open at night since it’s so dark and so I have the window open during the day with that little door in the window propped open. He hasn’t ventured up there or even jumped up on the platform to check it out.

I surely can open at night and prop open - but I worry a bit about the lack of light and him knocking the door opening prop away and then panicking when he doesn’t know how to get back in. What do you all think?

Also - I got the soffit fixed yesterday!! It’s a really lousy job and still open 2 inches on either side but most of it is closed. After I hired 2 people who didn’t show up - I asked the guy at the car inspection garage if he knew anyone. One of the mechanics came after work and hammered something up. I’ll attach pictures. It’s not good but at least he’s secure and raccoons can’t get in and he can’t get out.

Final thing is that I am going to contract on my house! It should close by Nov 1 and that’s a relief. Oscar probably cost me $60,000 since I missed the hot market but I have no regrets. I’d be sick worrying about him down there and so it was worth it.

I still have the foster puppy -which is a hardship since she wants to eat my cats but I’m glad I helped her.

whew - fingers crossed for the house closing and let me know if you think I should open the catio at night. Also - what do you recommend for filling the holes left up by the soffit? I will have my ladder up her within a month and could either tape or stuff some soft stuff up there. I also have to buy a heater for the space. Thanks!!

9B89670E-8876-4AFB-BA03-6202CE0F4D52.jpeg
92CF3C93-2C6D-4E42-B288-E21DA29F3D4B.jpeg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep the window closed at night. I would think when winter comes you would want it closed all the way. Maybe it's something to try again in the spring when it warms up. For now I would just keep it open during the day and closed at night.

Glad the soffit is somewhat fixed. As a quick fix, you could shove some insulation in the gaps and maybe cover it in plastic so it doesn't get wet outside. I have no idea. I guess I would keep looking for someone.

Great news on your house. Fingers and toes crossed it all works out.

How much longer with the pup?

I do hope you can find a heater for the space. Oscar is one lucky boy!!!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been impossible to find someone. So when I get my ladder up here - I will see if I can reach to put something up in the holes. It's only about 4 feet from the edge of his sleeping loft and so I don't want insulation up there. At least it's covered enough that no large animal can get in.

I am not sure how much longer with the foster puppy. She is a challenge with energy off the charts. I have fostered 10 puppies in my life and she is like a stick of dynamite. It's her breed ...cattle dog. The applications from Petfinder have been awful.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great news about the house. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.
So unfortunate that you missed out on the hot market, but at least Oscar, the 60 thousand dollar cat, is safe with you. :petcat:

About blocking the space that's left, I googled and found this:
How to Use Landscaping Mesh to Stop Rats

Also found this:

Some of the things a rat can’t chew through include:
  • Thick Plastic
  • Glass
  • Metal
  • Some Window Screens
  • Door Sweeps
Are Rats Chewing Through Your House? | Signature Pest Blog

However, maybe rats won't be a problem, since you already have #6 on the below list.

If you’ve got mice or rats infesting your shed, here are 7 ways you can keep them out:
  1. Take away their food.
  2. Clear away their homes.
  3. Close your doors on them.
  4. Use glue boards and traps.
  5. Hire a professional.
  6. Get a cat.
  7. Clean your shed and organize your tools.
7 Ways to Keep Mice and Rats Out of Your Shed - Pest Pointers

So, any new pics or videos of Oscar? I'm feeling a bit of Oscar withdrawal. :bigeyes:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news about the house. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.
So unfortunate that you missed out on the hot market, but at least Oscar, the 60 thousand dollar cat, is safe with you. :petcat:

About blocking the space that's left, I googled and found this:
How to Use Landscaping Mesh to Stop Rats

Also found this:

Some of the things a rat can’t chew through include:
  • Thick Plastic
  • Glass
  • Metal
  • Some Window Screens
  • Door Sweeps
Are Rats Chewing Through Your House? | Signature Pest Blog

However, maybe rats won't be a problem, since you already have #6 on the below list.

If you’ve got mice or rats infesting your shed, here are 7 ways you can keep them out:
  1. Take away their food.
  2. Clear away their homes.
  3. Close your doors on them.
  4. Use glue boards and traps.
  5. Hire a professional.
  6. Get a cat.
  7. Clean your shed and organize your tools.
7 Ways to Keep Mice and Rats Out of Your Shed - Pest Pointers

So, any new pics or videos of Oscar? I'm feeling a bit of Oscar withdrawal. :bigeyes:
Thanks for looking for me. Once my ladder is up here - I will see what if anything I can safely reach. I’m not worried about rats - it was squirrels or bats but I’m not so worried now since he’s a good size boy.

Here’s A video - and what is he looking at?? Also put up a pic of my foster dog Lucy. Afterall, she is an Australian “Cat”tle dog!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for looking for me. Once my ladder is up here - I will see what if anything I can safely reach. I’m not worried about rats - it was squirrels or bats but I’m not so worried now since he’s a good size boy.

Here’s A video - and what is he looking at?? Also put up a pic of my foster dog Lucy. Afterall, she is an Australian “Cat”tle dog!

[/URL]
SO RELIEVED that you got (most of) the soffit closed. Hoping someone qualified can do a better job for you soon but until then, at least you don't have that worry and Oscar "The $60,000 Cat" is safe and secure!
Hope you can get that dog gone soon. Sounds like a menace.
Great news about your house! May it all go very well. I'll always remember my parents saying "escrow" and me asking if that was a dirty word, because of how they said it. When we went through it ourselves, it was so stressful! but in the end, it resulted in the 3 best years of my life.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay about the house sale! Yay about Oscar doing so well! I wouldn't open the window at night. I would wait and let him become familiar with the catio during daylight hours, whenever that may happen.

If you can't get that guy to come back or find someone with better repair skills, you could try using chicken wire or heavy metal mesh and nail it over the open spots. I looked up "soffit repair kit" in Amazon and there are some options for pieces that use self-adhesive tape which may or may not be strong enough for your purposes. Might be worth a look.

I love cats (of course!) but I also love dogs (actually all animals!) and I give you lots of credit for fostering them! This guy does sound like a handful! Puppies and kittens... so cute but tons of energy!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She’s a sweet girl but is a cattle dog. They have energy off the charts and need cattle to round up! And I am not getting cattle 🤣

I know the guy did a lousy job on the soffit - but it’s still 100 percent better than having it open.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise

Loving these videos. If it were me, I’d be experimenting with a different toy or swinging bridge or something new each week, just to see the response. He looks as if he’s saying: “Maaaan, I can’t believe my luck! This is amazing!“ Is your ultimate goal to get him to come inside? I’d think he is looking at the rafters, and wondering if he can play games across them. Maybe hide a squeak toy up there or some Cat TV.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loving these videos. If it were me, I’d be experimenting with a different toy or swinging bridge or something new each week, just to see the response. He looks as if he’s saying: “Maaaan, I can’t believe my luck! This is amazing!“ Is your ultimate goal to get him to come inside? I’d think he is looking at the rafters, and wondering if he can play games across them. Maybe hide a squeak toy up there or some Cat TV.
I have to get my ladder up here and buy some power tools. The reason the shed is FREEZING is that there is no insulation. The plastic soffits are so the building breathes - and typically you would out a drop ceiling and stuff it with insulation. But his sleeping loft is up there. So it’s basically like being outside without the benefit of the sun to warm things up.