Feral in my garage

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great video! I love the way he takes a swipe at the catnip banana and seems to be considering playing with it, but nope, gotta race up the ramp to the top! A nice active little guy! I wonder if you might open the catio when you can observe him using it for the first time or two. I would just worry about an unforeseen problem where he could hurt himself or escape. I'm sure you have taken a close look at the catio and so my worries are probably unfounded!

From recent experiences my sister had selling her house, I know how stressful it can be. Fingers crossed that your house sells very soon!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great video! I love the way he takes a swipe at the catnip banana and seems to be considering playing with it, but nope, gotta race up the ramp to the top! A nice active little guy! I wonder if you might open the catio when you can observe him using it for the first time or two. I would just worry about an unforeseen problem where he could hurt himself or escape. I'm sure you have taken a close look at the catio and so my worries are probably unfounded!

From recent experiences my sister had selling her house, I know how stressful it can be. Fingers crossed that your house sells very soon!
You make a very good point. I do worry about him going out into the catio at night when it's dark and I am alseep. I am very unsure of how to introduce him. I know that at night he's active, while during the day he mostly sleeps. I worry about him being bored in there and that's why I opened it last night. It is still too hot here to take out the air conditioner and just have a screen there. So my options are just to leave it closed until mid-September. I still have not fixed the soffit since I have yet to get a name of someone. I don't worry so much about him leaving anymore, but I do worry about animals getting in. Like bats or whatever. The sooner it's fixed . . .the better.

As you probably realize by now - I worry alot.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love seeing that boy run around and play!!

When you do open up the catio, you might consider only allowing him to be out there during the day. Then at night close the window.

You do want to get that soffit fixed. When cooler weather arrives, critters will be looking for shelter. Raccoons are famous for climbing up on roofs and looking for a warm place to hide. When I had my feral boys outside, raccoons got into their shelter one night. They climbed into the heated beds. The next morning it was awful getting them out. Fortunately the did not return.

It also might be time for you to spend some time in the space. You can sit on the sofa, floor or bring in a lawn chair. I usually prefer sitting on the floor when I first start working with a cat. Bring in some Churu, place it where you normally do and sit and talk with him. Stay just 5 minutes. Then leave. You can do this once a day, then twice or more. Gradually lengthen your stay.

I used to cook up some plain chicken and bring some small pieces in a zip lock baggie. I would shake the bag and announce myself. I would then sit on the floor and without eye contact toss a small piece towards the cat. It may take him awhile to understand what you have, but it is a way to get him to move closer to you. Each toss, you make a bit closer to you.

Cooler weather will arrive and right behind it is winter. It will be harder for you to be out there in the cold. Take advantage of the nice weather now to begin working with Oscar. He has come so far and you have done so well with him!!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love seeing his eyes shine! That was so much fun seeing him zoom and bat.
I agree about sitting in there for periods with no eye contact. He looks so comfortable in there!
And that's a very good thought about the critters coming in in the cooler weather.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Sell house sell!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Echoing the above posters' thoughts!) Yes, I'd definitely hold off until mid-September. It's not long now. He seems to be thriving! And the more time you spend with him, the more he will think of you as friend and as source of GOOD things.
May the right buyer find your house and make a great offer! The economy is what it is, but there are still plenty of people with good jobs looking for homes. Hang in there.:hangin::cheerleader:We had the same sort of scenario when selling our home, in a worse market (right after the bubble burst) but the right buyers came along and the rest is history.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So I still haven’t sold my house - please send prayers that someone makes an offer! I really missed the market waiting until after I trapped our boy Oscar 😢

So last night I decided to open one side of the airconditoner where the plastic slides. I slid it open so he could walk out into the catio if he wanted. It was over night when he’s most active.

He didn’t go out or check it out! Maybe he wasn’t aware of it just yet. But - I do have a new video clip. He’s on the lower left side and then zooms over to the catnip banana and up.

Sending love to you all and your kitties and please pray my house sells!
That's very nice to see Oscar playing and also I can tell that he's really feeling at home by the way he lays under the couch.

I agree with all what shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned.

Both if you are doing great! keep it up.

I hope that the right buyer with the right price will show up soon 🙏🙏🙏

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's so wonderful seeing Oscar looking so content in his luxury B&B. Hopefully he'll enjoy daytime catio access soon too.
And also slowly learn to enjoy social time with his Mom. :petcat:

Sorry your house hasn't sold yet. Hopefully the right buyer shows up soon.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here you go my friends! But don’t ask me why I wake up at 3 am to check and see what’s he’s doing!

FullSizeRender.MOV
How could you NOT? It's very gratifying knowing he is safe, comfortable, happy, and enjoying life as a CARED-FOR cat. I'd be excited, too! (I am. A lot of us here are!)

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How could you NOT? It's very gratifying knowing he is safe, comfortable, happy, and enjoying life as a CARED-FOR cat. I'd be excited, too! (I am. A lot of us here are!)
I am just so thrilled he looks happy. He seems to love laying on the carpet . . . .and I am sure, that a carpet is a whole new phenomenon to him!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You wake up and check at 3am because you love him!
That was such a fun video. Running up the shelves is so cool.
I think if you had your own 24/7 cat cam I’d be obsessively watching it as well…firstly to watch his antics and then to check in on the decor….the fainting couch is fantastic. Now how ‘bout a goldfish bowl, some artwork and a parakeet?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here you go my friends! But don’t ask me why I wake up at 3 am to check and see what’s he’s doing!
He's doing the cat thing :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: . It's wonderful to see him active and feeling at home. This is his normal life as he was being outside. Cats are Crepuscular Creatures meaning that they are most active at twilight or before the sun rises.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think if you had your own 24/7 cat cam I’d be obsessively watching it as well…firstly to watch his antics and then to check in on the decor….the fainting couch is fantastic. Now how ‘bout a goldfish bowl, some artwork and a parakeet?
I did consider goldfish - 🤣🤣