Feral in my garage

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s brutally hot here today and he’s been on the ground floor. I’ve gone in a couple of times but really don’t want to stress him so he goes up top. Just too hot. I just went in with food at 4 pm and he was under the couch! That’s a new place. After I left - he went and looked at the food - took one bite and went back under the couch. I want him to continue to explore and not get in the way until he’s comfortable. I stayed about 2 minutes but that’s it. I went in 4 times today for 2-3 minutes. He was visible twice. View attachment 428813
Heat rises; so my thinking is that he's seeking the coolest place in his environment by going as close to the floor as possible.
Absolutely agree about not stressing or scaring him while it is so hot.
You may wish to put some ice in his water. I used to do this when it was very hot. I also rinsed cloths in cold water and rubbed down my cats. You can't do that yet, but you can put ice in his water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heat rises; so my thinking is that he's seeking the coolest place in his environment by going as close to the floor as possible.
Absolutely agree about not stressing or scaring him while it is so hot.
You may wish to put some ice in his water. I used to do this when it was very hot. I also rinsed cloths in cold water and rubbed down my cats. You can't do that yet, but you can put ice in his water.
I’ll be sure to let room service know! :flail::crackup:

Last edited:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a beautiful sofa!
It’s an antique “fainting couch” that was hand-built in Maine in the 19th century!! I haven’t had the money to have it recovered because I spent all my money on a cat penthouse, catio, and air conditioner. Plus the maid’s outfit with mouse and bird embroidery! Lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s an antique “fainting couch” that was hand-built in Maine in the 19th century!! I haven’t had the money to have it recovered because I spent all my money on a cat penthouse, catio, and air conditioner. Plus the maid’s outfit with mouse and bird embroidery! Lol
Clearly, the higher priorities. They'd be mine, too.
But the couch is beautiful!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why jump from the platform onto the sofa? And not take the ramp??
"But that's boring, Mom", said Oscar. :bigeyes:

It’s an antique “fainting couch” that was hand-built in Maine in the 19th century!!
It's really beautiful.

I haven’t had the money to have it recovered because I spent all my money on a cat penthouse, catio, and air conditioner. Plus the maid’s outfit with mouse and bird embroidery! Lol
LOL. I'd love to see the maid's outfit. :lol:

How's the house sale coming along? Any offers yet?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"But that's boring, Mom", said Oscar. :bigeyes:

It's really beautiful.

LOL. I'd love to see the maid's outfit. :lol:

How's the house sale coming along? Any offers yet?
I think I missed the hot selling market with waiting until I got Oscar. The market has cooled. It’s still strong but not the frenzy that it was. Waiting has cost me alot of $$$ !

Let’s hope it’s soon. It’s such a great house and yard ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I missed the hot selling market with waiting until I got Oscar. The market has cooled. It’s still strong but not the frenzy that it was. Waiting has cost me alot of $$$ !

Let’s hope it’s soon. It’s such a great house and yard ❤
Hoping you know you did the right thing and that it was more than worth it to you to adopt such a great CAT!:redheartpump::bigeyes::redheartpump::cheerleader::goodluck:
Also hoping you get a great price for your former home.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The market has cooled here, as well. Though some houses are still going for over ask, so hopefully yours will still sell at a good price too. :crossfingers:
Yes . . .waiting until I trapped him delayed me for a couple of months. I would do it again . . but no good deed goes unpunished. I wish it would sell now. It is sitting there empty and I stress about the financial drain and the liability of an empty house.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes . . .waiting until I trapped him delayed me for a couple of months. I would do it again . . but no good deed goes unpunished. I wish it would sell now. It is sitting there empty and I stress about the financial drain and the liability of an empty house.
We bought our beautiful Mojave home in the bubble and sold after it burst. We barely recouped the selling price. But I had no say in the move or the selling. I would still be there now if I could.
Markets fluctuate and in today's climate, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were pleasantly surprised to see it go up some, if not a lot.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It’s brutally hot here today and he’s been on the ground floor. I’ve gone in a couple of times but really don’t want to stress him so he goes up top. Just too hot. I just went in with food at 4 pm and he was under the couch! That’s a new place. After I left - he went and looked at the food - took one bite and went back under the couch. I want him to continue to explore and not get in the way until he’s comfortable. I stayed about 2 minutes but that’s it. I went in 4 times today for 2-3 minutes. He was visible twice.
Oscar is a smart cat. After these while of being in his castle, he knows the best place to relax as he has already sort of checked out the place. Cats are always exploring and changing places to sleep or rest.
Is it possible to hook up a small quiet fan in there and have it pointed upwards so to circulate the air in the shed and also get fresh cool air up to the loft?

I think you can give Oscar scheduled feeds and get him used to the timing. This way, he'll wait for you when he's hungry and also give you time to interact with him to build up the trust.

Yes, visit him often and this will speed up the interaction and he once he 's used to it, he'll be expecting you to see him more often. You both are doing well :clapcat:

I'm a cat! Cats do it the cat's way! :lol:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it's more fun!
With Waffles I didn't free feed after a bit- I did scheduled feeds so he would see me bringing in the food and associate me with it, something good. Then I could sit a distance away while he ate some and learn more I'm not a threat. Good things come from me!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because it's more fun!
With Waffles I didn't free feed after a bit- I did scheduled feeds so he would see me bringing in the food and associate me with it, something good. Then I could sit a distance away while he ate some and learn more I'm not a threat. Good things come from me!
I had Oscar on a schedule when I fed him outside. And I’ve tried to get him in one here. But I keep throwing out food. I put it down at 6 am and it’s untouched at 10 am and so I toss. Then I put down at 4 pm and it can be untouched so I toss. If he’s down on the ground floor and sees me - after I leave he comes and eats. But if he’s in the loft - he doesn’t come down to eat :(

He won’t eat also if I’m there - he won’t move at all. Maybe someday. Maybe.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Oscar on a schedule when I fed him outside. And I’ve tried to get him in one here. But I keep throwing out food. I put it down at 6 am and it’s untouched at 10 am and so I toss. Then I put down at 4 pm and it can be untouched so I toss. If he’s down on the ground floor and sees me - after I leave he comes and eats. But if he’s in the loft - he doesn’t come down to eat :(

He won’t eat also if I’m there - he won’t move at all. Maybe someday. Maybe.
Not sure if this will help or not but cats in their natural habitat are crepuscular--most active at dawn and dusk, when their prey tends to be out, so that is when they hunt. By that rule, 6 a.m. would seem to be an ideal time! as would dusk, whenever that occurs at different times of the year. I've always fed when I get up, which is at 7 so it happens at around 7:30, and around 6 p.m. I used to feed 3 times a day, but since Elvis doesn't finish his breakfast at one time, it becomes "brunch" and I only feed twice a day. He has high-quality dry and fresh water available. 24/7.