Feral in my garage

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m afraid to have him go out and like it and then not to be able do during the day - which could make the open soffit more attractive.
About the open soffit, I think it's been open long enough, that if he wanted really wanted to leave, he would have taken the risk and jumped by now.

But about opening the catio at night, my only concern is that he will love it out there, and not go back in the shed in the morning, when you need to run the air conditioner. Does the sun shine on that side of the shed, and if so, is there anything to give shade in the catio?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About the open soffit, I think it's been open long enough, that if he wanted really wanted to leave, he would have taken the risk and jumped by now.

But about opening the catio at night, my only concern is that he will love it out there, and not go back in the shed in the morning, when you need to run the air conditioner. Does the sun shine on that side of the shed, and if so, is there anything to give shade in the catio?
That’s a good point about him not wanting to go back in. But I think with dogs in the yard and daylight - he’s probably go back in. But I can’t be sure. He might just get up in a corner and hiss.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree with shadowsrescue shadowsrescue , Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom . I wouldn't tempt fate. Keep it closed until you're ready for it to be open all the time.
That was my instinct. To open and close it might be confusing for him and I cannot leave it open and run the air conditioner. It is going to be 90 here later in the week. I put it on high and it is still warm in there (thank you open soffitt) but at least it's not deadly. Just warm and he goes down behind the cat cube on the ground floor.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my instinct. To open and close it might be confusing for him and I cannot leave it open and run the air conditioner. It is going to be 90 here later in the week. I put it on high and it is still warm in there (thank you open soffitt) but at least it's not deadly. Just warm and he goes down behind the cat cube on the ground floor.
Yeah, and that's going to be a problem for the AC thermostat, as it's trying to cool the room while hot air is blasting in. HOPE you can get that closed off somehow very soon!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Just checking in to let you know that we are still hanging in there. Oscar is still in the shed and not breached the soffit. Fingers crossed he will never. I picked up my sweet girl's ashes yesterday which really was hard. I was sobbing in the Vet's office, although they included a beautiful card and clay paw print along with her ashes. They did a lovely job but it's so sad.

As for Oscar, nothing new except at night sometimes now he goes down to sleep in the cat cube. I am soooo glad that I brought that up for him. I may throw an old tshirt of mine in there - not sure. He seems to gravitate to sleeping behind it on the floor during the day, and in it at night. Or in the loft. I did notice last night that he looked at if he was straining a bit when he pooped, so was thinking of adding some furball remedy to his food a few times. Is there one that people recommend over the others?

Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I picked up my sweet girl's ashes yesterday which really was hard. I was sobbing in the Vet's office, although they included a beautiful card and clay paw print along with her ashes. They did a lovely job but it's so sad.
Hugs for you
D2583258-ED96-47B6-881F-B25902433D0C$L0$001~photo.GIF

Just checking in to let you know that we are still hanging in there. Oscar is still in the shed and not breached the soffit. Fingers crossed he will never.
This is good. Looks like he's kind of gotten or getting use to staying in.

As for Oscar, nothing new except at night sometimes now he goes down to sleep in the cat cube. I am soooo glad that I brought that up for him. I may throw an old tshirt of mine in there - not sure. He seems to gravitate to sleeping behind it on the floor during the day, and in it at night. Or in the loft. I did notice last night that he looked at if he was straining a bit when he pooped, so was thinking of adding some furball remedy to his food a few times. Is there one that people recommend over the others?
Yes, an old clean unwashed no perfumed tshirt is good. Cats go by scents and the more of your scents the better.

Cats have favorite places to sleep and they often change places.

Maybe you can add a little filtered water and mix it up together with his food so that he gets more hydrated. Not too much till it changes the taste of the food. If he's more hydrated, it's easier for him to poo.

You are doing a good job! :clapcat:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are lots of ideas online about what to do when your cat is constipated! Adding water to his wet food is a good and easy thing to try. Furball medicine can work. I bought the Tomlyn brand years ago, but I don't remember the flavor. Never tried olive oil, but that makes sense. Some people recommend a little pumpkin added to the food, although my cats don't like it! I'd start with one of these ideas.

My vet said that I could use Miralax for one of my cats who sometimes has pooping problems. It is a tasteless, odorless powder that people stir into 4-8 ounces of a beverage, but you can dissolve a small amount in water and mix it into a cat's wet food. It is usually recommended to use 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. I have tried 1/8 tsp once a day for my 6 pound cat and I think it helped a bit. My vet said I could use more, but I like to take it slow when we are trying something new! There is a prescription medicine, lactulose, that my vet said we could try if necessary down the road.

I'm so glad to hear that Oscar is settling into his new home! Thanks for the update!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Just checking in to let you know that we are still hanging in there. Oscar is still in the shed and not breached the soffit. Fingers crossed he will never. I picked up my sweet girl's ashes yesterday which really was hard. I was sobbing in the Vet's office, although they included a beautiful card and clay paw print along with her ashes. They did a lovely job but it's so sad.

Thanks!
In agreement with other posters -- great suggestions! Wet food, fresh water and keeping it simple and natural are the things I'd stick to -- no drugs if at all possible. Some cats love a little margarine (or butter, I guess) but every cat is an individual. The plain pumpkin has been suggested by many both for constipation and diarrhea. I haven't used it myself, as I believe these issues generally resolve naturally as long as a good diet and fresh water are offered.
How well I know thefeeling related to those times. Much empathy, and :hugs:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Today is brutally hot and he was down laying behind the cat cube. I went in and sat down near the door - only for about 2 mins and talked to him - did the slow eye blink and then left. I got in the house and checked the camera. He had moved out into the open. I wonder since I was in and left and nothing bad happened - he felt OK coming out? Or maybe getting closer to ramp to run

not sure if I should go back in? Or let today one visit be it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could go inside again and this time take something yummy with you. You can just toss some onto the floor and see if he will come for it. If not just leave the yummy snack and see if he will eat it after you come.

I used to go in frequently and just stay for 5-10 minutes. I say keep going in a few times each day.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I just went in - did slow eye blink - and left some wet food and churru paste on a paper plate. Did slow eye blink and left.

he came out and ate all of it but then headed up to the loft. Maybe too much in one day.
It's his happy place for now. I wouldn't worry. Good that he liked what you offered!