Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I can’t tell you how thrilled I was to see these two little ears slowly go up and the tops of his eyes! It made me recall the first picture I took of him outside almost two years ago. See
C2DE8F0E-23DF-4902-A857-B518DDEC3ADF.jpeg
below:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I can’t tell you how thrilled I was to see these two little ears slowly go up and the tops of his eyes! It made me recall the first picture I took of him outside almost two years ago. SeeView attachment 427773 below:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I didn't realize he'd been with you so long. Sweet Oscar, hoping and praying you STAY and decide to take full advantage of the many benefits you have as a part of a loving family!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love that picture of him. He is a lucky boy to have you!! So happy he allowed you a glimpse of him. When things settle down a bit you could try going in and sitting in the space for awhile. Just talk to him and then just sit and read for a bit. You can toss some treats onto the planks when you arrive and when you exit. In time he might decide to come and visit.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So - today he went down to the ground floor of his bachelor pad and lay on the floor behind the velvet cat cube. He’s laying on the particle board floor but I think it’s cooler than in the loft. I have the airconditoner on high but it’s 87 degrees so still warm.

I wonder if I should go in and make eye contact from the door way for a few moments and then leave. Not sure?
3FDAFEB6-B6F2-4169-A30F-084234EA14F3.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... there he is. :redheartpump:
You're right, probably cooler down there.

I wonder if I should go in and make eye contact from the door way for a few moments and then leave. Not sure?
I'm not sure either, but probably can't hurt to try, and see how he reacts. If he doesn't seem nervous, you could even try closing the door and sitting and talking to him for a little while.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So - today he went down to the ground floor of his bachelor pad and lay on the floor behind the velvet cat cube. He’s laying on the particle board floor but I think it’s cooler than in the loft. I have the airconditoner on high but it’s 87 degrees so still warm.

I wonder if I should go in and make eye contact from the door way for a few moments and then leave. Not sure?View attachment 427892
Agree with rubysmama rubysmama . It might be reassuring for him to know you're there and making sure he's okay.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK so I couldn’t take the suspense so I went in. He didn’t move but froze looking at me on the floor in the corner. It was dark in there so I tried the slow eye blink but couldn’t see his eyes. I took 3 steps in and out down a plate of salmon cat food. I told him I loved him and left.

He then got up and ate the food and then went up to the loft!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is all such good news. If you see him out again, I would stand at the door and just talk to him. Try to do this daily. Then I would really try to get into the space and just sit and spend time with him. He loves you and trusts you. Small steps to keep moving forward!!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is all such good news. If you see him out again, I would stand at the door and just talk to him. Try to do this daily. Then I would really try to get into the space and just sit and spend time with him. He loves you and trusts you. Small steps to keep moving forward!!
He doesn’t come down that I’m aware of much during the day. The camera doesn’t always pick him up. But if he does come down - I will definitely go in like today. I thought it was good that I put the food down eventhough it was early.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great that you made eye contact with him, and that he saw you put down the food, and then ate it once you were gone.

You mention it being dark in there. Is that because the air conditioner is in the window? Does any light get in during the day?
Some light comes in but not a lot. There is only one window and the airconditoner is blocking it. I will be so happy when I can take it out and he can go into the catio. That damn soffit is still open and every day that he’s still there - I am relieved. My vet said she may have the name of someone to come fix it.

I do put on a small light at night down on the floor.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you able to put the small light there all the time? Or maybe set up some sort of solar lights that will brighten the shed in the day time. Otherwise, it will be very difficult for you to spend time with Oscar, if you can't easily see each other.

Plus, despite cats liking quiet dark places, him being in the dark all the time might not be good for him. And for that reason, it's probably good he can see daylight and outside via the damaged soffit. It will be wonderful once you can open the catio for him.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you able to put the small light there all the time? Or maybe set up some sort of solar lights that will brighten the shed in the day time. Otherwise, it will be very difficult for you to spend time with Oscar, if you can't easily see each other.

Plus, despite cats liking quiet dark places, him being in the dark all the time might not be good for him. And for that reason, it's probably good he can see daylight and outside via the damaged soffit. It will be wonderful once you can open the catio for him.
It’s not pitch dark in there in the day. I can easily see him. It was 5 pm when I went in there and he was in the back corner around the cat cube - that’s why I could’nt see him easily.

it will be fine once I take the air conditioner out - and I will also look into getting a standing lamp and having electricity run out there. I’m a bit hesitant to do anything until I have that soffit fixed.

I have to mow the lawn. Do you think if he hears noise outside that scares him - that he’s apt to hunker down inside - or flee through the soffit?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
it will be fine once I take the air conditioner out - and I will also look into getting a standing lamp and having electricity run out there. I’m a bit hesitant to do anything until I have that soffit fixed.

I have to mow the lawn. Do you think if he hears noise outside that scares him - that he’s apt to hunker down inside - or flee through the soffit?
Great to hear that Oscar is down at the pad and feeling comfortable. Yes, eye blinks and soft sweet voice is great assurance to him and great to hear that he ate. Maybe he's waiting to be fed and thus he was waiting for you and soon after he ate, he went up to the loft.

You can tilt the A/C vent upwards so that it's blowing upward and it'll sort of cool much of the top of the catio and cool air sinks so the bottom of the catio is also being cooled.

Isn't the A/C a permanent fixture? You can get a lamp with a light sensor so that when it's dark, it'll turn on by itself and once it's bright enough, it'll automatically turn off.

I think if you start the lawn mower on the far side, it won't give him so much of a fright than starting it outside the catio. Let the lawn mower run for awhile and turn it off. Repeat a few times so that he gets use to the sound. He may freak out at first but will soon get use to it. Even if he has gotten used to the sound, he may still be afraid and probably hide in a corner of the shed which is ok.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s not pitch dark in there in the day. I can easily see him. It was 5 pm when I went in there and he was in the back corner around the cat cube - that’s why I could’nt see him easily.
Oh, that makes sense, being later in the day. I was just worried he was in pitch dark all day long.

There's no way to know for sure, but I think he's more likely to hunker down inside, if the mower scares him, than to flee out the soffit to where the noise is coming from. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm wondering if it would be possible to do like an upside-down skylight in that space. Sounds weird, I know, but if possible it would close the space AND provide natural light. If you could get it dropped in from inside the rafters, and it would have a lip all the way around that could either be nailed or glued onto the existing wood, it would solve two problems. A creative carpenter should be able to do this. Just a thought.
Keep up the great work! And Oscar definitely could see you slow-blinking even in very dim light. Cats' eyesight is legendary, you know.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to paint a better picture - the AC isn’t a permanent fixture. I had to buy it and lug it in for him and it’s a simple window unit.

I am considering sliding one of the plastic sides open at night. I bet he’d go out and explore the catio. What does everyone think? I’m a bit afraid of opening a can of worms since things are going well and while he could go out at night - I’d have to slide back closed during the day to be able to run the air conditioner. I’m afraid to have him go out and like it and then not to be able do during the day - which could make the open soffit more attractive.

and regarding a skylight - anything is possible but it’s finding people to do the work and also my first priority is the soffit and then getting electricity.