Feral in my garage

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
HEY EVERYONE - I GOT HIM!!! I will write more later - have to drive up now to the house. He’s in the back of the hatchback in the covered trap and my dogs are in the backseat. They aren’t sniffing at the cage at all but I’m sure he can smell them. Poor boy.

I almost passed out when I realized he was trapped!! It was the trap I’ve been using and the door went down without him realizing it so he did eat one Small can of fancy feast before he freaked. Then he was striking at me through the cage and spitting and it was scary. But no turning back now.

Thanks for your prayers!
688E0FFB-3ACD-4695-BA19-F99B9A8A9A50$L0$001~photo.JPG
4ADBB236-6DD3-4F12-8494-797FAC3E3C2B$L0$001~photo.JPG
0F54D0BB-7345-49C0-8F5D-E19D646202BA$L0$001~photo.GIF

IMG_3053.GIF
IMG_3053.GIF
IMG_3053.GIF
3247666F-06EB-41AA-B544-0095FEA4EBEF$L0$001~photo.GIF
7857824F-F440-4A19-9D36-A565ACC30B16$L0$001~photo.GIF

This is the best news of the week! I've been keeping vigil here everyday just for this piece of news.

All your efforts and undying love for Oscar has paid off. We are all so happy for you and Oscar :heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update everyone.

He didn’t make a peep in the car as I think he was traumatized due to the dogs being so close and being trapped.

We arrived here safely and I set up 3 litter boxes and two cans wet food on paper plates, dry food and water. I opened the window a crack to the catio. It was hot in there but better he be safe with the window closed initially.

I’m a bit scared of him and opened the trap with a coat hanger. He didn’t move. Poor guy. So I left him in the open trap.and closed the door. I went back in two hours - the trap was empty and I couldn’t see him - I think he’s up in the loft.

I haven’t been back in. I will check on him tomorrow and put fresh food and water down.

please advise how I can keep safe. I don’t think he’d run at me or anything like that - but never having done this before - tips for when I go in there to change food and litter would be great. Thank you!

PS. I still can’t believe he’s here!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 425290 View attachment 425292View attachment 425291
View attachment 425295View attachment 425295View attachment 425295View attachment 425293 View attachment 425293View attachment 425293 View attachment 425294View attachment 425294 View attachment 425294

This is the best news of the week! I've been keeping vigil here everyday just for this piece of news.

All your efforts and undying love for Oscar has paid off. We are all so happy for you and Oscar :heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape:
I think the plain brown paper (not newpaper) taped to the bottom of the cage helped along with the 1/2 cup of catnip I dumped in there! He ate the food and went to back out and then freaked since he didn’t know the door had deployed. He started to panic and bite and claw the cage so I quickly covered it. Poor boy.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ever thought of getting wireless ip cameras to put in the space so you can keep an eye on him? Wyze makes some that are pretty reasonably priced and easy to set up. You can find them on Amazon. You would need an electric source but extension cords work just fine. This way you can check on him periodically and see what he is doing.

When you enter the space, announce yourself. Talk quietly and be sure not to have direct eye contact. You might go in, give fresh food/water, etc.. and then leave the space and talk to him from outside the door. Each day, extend your time inside. Keep telling him over and over that he is safe and you will take care of him forever.

You can also place some catnip in the space on a blanket as he does seem to like that.

Also since he is inside an enclosure, once he starts to eat, you can try some calming supplements. Composure and Zylkene work well, but often need the dosage to be upped at first.

Offer lots of food (dry and wet) so that he can choose what he likes.

All of us are just thrilled and so excited for this adventure. Cheers to you for all of your effort. You deserve a relaxing night. A glass of wine ( or other ) is instore if you choose!! It is definitely a celebration day.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the plain brown paper (not newpaper) taped to the bottom of the cage helped along with the 1/2 cup of catnip I dumped in there! He ate the food and went to back out and then freaked since he didn’t know the door had deployed. He started to panic and bite and claw the cage so I quickly covered it. Poor boy.
Yes, but he will calm down once he realizes he now is SAFE, with regular food and water (and the HALF CUP OF CATNIP sure can't hurt!) and someone who cares about him on his team.
Are the dogs cat-friendly?
And I seem to remember Oscar is neutered? Or am I just wishful thinking there?
The coat hanger is an excellent idea, as is shadowsrescue shadowsrescue 's suggestion re: the cushion. Time, patience, and love are key. Keep doing what you're doing; spray the feliway in his environment every couple days, talk soothingly to him, and give him the time he needs to adjust and adapt. You can use heavy gardening gloves when you have to be near him, too, and even wear glasses/sunglasses/goggles if you are in any stress as to being close to him.
And shadowsrescue's idea of a camera may be helpful. May I recommend newegg.com for those -- they have excellent selection and deals.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
please advise how I can keep safe. I don’t think he’d run at me or anything like that - but never having done this before - tips for when I go in there to change food and litter would be great.
For now, Oscar needs lots of assurance from you after this ordeal. He's in a confused state right now and you don't want to freak him out any further.

Visit him often and help him gain back his confidence in you.

Actually, I do hope that you have a double door to the catio which will make it safer for your entry and exit and also to prevent Oscar from dashing out. I wonder if you could get the builders that fabricate second door at their shop since they have the dimension of he catio.

think the plain brown paper (not newpaper) taped to the bottom of the cage helped along with the 1/2 cup of catnip I dumped in there! He ate the food and went to back out and then freaked since he didn’t know the door had deployed. He started to panic and bite and claw the cage so I quickly covered it. Poor boy.
He must be pretty hungry and did not notice the door coming down. But that is what we wanted. A trap with Oscar in it.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Best news I heard today!!! :yess::woo::cheerleader::clap::wavey::clap2::rock:
I really did believe you would get him soon, but it has definitely been a long uphill battle. Keep us posted and there will be plenty of advice to give.

My neighborhood was like a war zone last night with fireworks being lit into the wee morning hours. 😡 I still have 4 kitties who are MIA. So I hope they show up to the night feeding. It is so interesting that you caught Oscar right after the 4th of July. Sadly it is the day many pets go missing on the 4th-thanks to the fireworks madness. I am so happy that you finally caught Oscar. I wish you all the best with him. Take care. 🙂

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom : How's it going today?
Well, I left the backyard light on last night in hope that it would provide a tiny bit of light to the shed. Today I bought a small battery powered lantern. It’s pitch black in there and while I know that cats see much better than us - not in pitch black.

I went in a couple of times to change the water and food. No sign of him using litter or eating food.

I will go back out at disk and put on the small light and change food again. I suspect he up in the loft.

He’s gotta be in shock.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It will definitely take him time to adjust and explore. Do you have any electricity out there or some near the house where you could use an extension cord? This would allow you to possible get a camera out there and in the winter you could get a heat pad for him.
I wish I had electricity. There is no way to run and extension cord since there is only one window installed and I would have to run it through the catio and open the window and take off the screen totally. The screen is one solid piece so either on or out completely.

I am going to look into battery powered cameras though.

I think he’ll be OK in winter with a bed with straw since he’ll be out of the elements. I can pay to have electricity installed but don’t want to upset him for a long while.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had electricity. There is no way to run and extension cord since there is only one window installed and I would have to run it through the catio and open the window and take off the screen totally. The screen is one solid piece so either on or out completely.

I am going to look into battery powered cameras though.

I think he’ll be OK in winter with a bed with straw since he’ll be out of the elements. I can pay to have electricity installed but don’t want to upset him for a long while.
You could pick up a little USB light on newegg or anywhere, just about; the charge should last a night or two and then you just recharge. I have two shaped like little cats.
IMG_0977.JPG

The site I got these on isn't up any more, but you may be able to find them elsewhere. They're made in China, like everything else. :lol:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could pick up a little USB light on newegg or anywhere, just about; the charge should last a night or two and then you just recharge. I have two shaped like little cats. View attachment 425368
The site I got these on isn't up any more, but you may be able to find them elsewhere. They're made in China, like everything else. :lol:
I did get him a little battery lantern for tonight and odered some rechargeable light strips from Amazon. Just so he has a little bit of light at night. When he finally eats - I will be drinking champagne.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not surprised he's up in the rafters. That's where he can observe everything and feel safest.

Have you opened the window to the catio yet? Or are you going to wait a bit longer.

I know he's used a litter box before, but keep Cat Attack litter in the back of your mind.
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract® Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just sending positive thoughts to you and Oscar, Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom . :redheartpump::petcat:
Thanks so much Rubysmama- I so want to report back that he’s eating and drinking - but not yet. Hopefully tonight when everyone is asleep. It’s dead quiet and pitch dark except for the light that I put in the corner of the shed. It gives a nice glow.

I say prayers when I go to bed “Dear God - please let Oscar eat tonight “

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much Rubysmama- I so want to report back that he’s eating and drinking - but not yet. Hopefully tonight when everyone is asleep. It’s dead quiet and pitch dark except for the light that I put in the corner of the shed. It gives a nice glow.

I say prayers when I go to bed “Dear God - please let Oscar eat tonight “
He should, very soon. *PRAYERS* for Oscar--please eat! Drink! Use your box! You are on the edge of having a very good, comfortable, LOVED life, young man. All you have to do is accept it.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :redheartpump: :bigeyes::redheartpump::cheerleader::hangin:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My biggest fear is that he’s gotten heat stroke up in the top! I hope he’s drinking at least. I ordered a fan and am also bringing up an air conditioner on Tuesday to run an extension cord from the house and put in the window since he doesn’t yet have catio access. It’s not going to be as hot luckily but that first two days tues wed in there is was very warm. Ugh. Worrying about this long-haired boy is going to do me in!!