Feral in my garage

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

I’m going back down on Sunday and will try again. I do have someone that will put in a drop trap but because I’m not there and he’s VERY skittish about any changes- I’m not sure it would work.

When I’m there - he still shows up but not as regularly. My house goes on the market in 2 weeks since I can’t wait any longer. I sure hope I get him.
*PRAYERS* ongoing for Oscar to come in and be safe and helped!!! Will that "someone" monitor the trap?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom : since you haven't posted, I guess that means Oscar's still being un-cooperative. And therefore, I'm sure you're feeling discouraged. So just wanted to post and let you know I'm thinking of you. Hugs...
Thank you! And yes,he is definitely starving . . since he is frantic when I get there. Then, half way in . . .

I have a question. DO YOU THINK - if I buy the larger tru catch trap (I have the standard tru catch) and this is the fat cat tru catch. It is wider, and taller. . not longer. It's $130 and while I cannot afford it - it is cheaper than driving back and forth and crying every night . .do you think it could work?

Let me know. Thank you <3

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think it could work. I have used larger traps too and bigger cats seem concerned over entering smaller space. Maybe you could even borrow one from animal control? You would need to be sure to clean it of any other snells before using it. I would STILL set the original trap in the same spot as well since cats are sensitive to change but he might be very relieved to see a second place available to eat. I would put it a bit away from the original trap. Maybe put super smelly good stuff in the newer trap. You may find he visits the original one first and then the newer one. He may be suspicious so please don’t be discouraged if it does not work the first time out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with traps, so hopefully the other members who do will see your post and advise.

However, it is possible that if it's bigger and different from the trap Oscar is familiar with, and wise to how it works, that it could trick him into entering.

I feel so bad for you, and for Oscar. Wish there was something more I could do to help, other than send virtual hugs your way.

1655849429027.png

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - I just purchased it. It is wider and taller but the same length.
Camouflage it with toweling or something else that makes it blend into its surroundings; someone HAS to be there, though, to monitor him!
When we moved and my ex was visiting the old location to get the community guys trapped and moved, we bought large bowls, filled them with dry food, and with water. He would freshen and replenish. That way hopefully everyone had SOMETHING to eat and drink (There were at least two other families in the neighborhood who fed). He would go after work and whomever he could get, he brought up. We NEVER left a trap, though. He had the terrible experience, as I mentioned some time back, of trying to trap a little feral in his work parking lot; the little guy seems to have gone into cardiac arrest because of panic, and passed away before my ex could get to him. NEVER again.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Camouflage it with toweling or something else that makes it blend into its surroundings; someone HAS to be there, though, to monitor him!
When we moved and my ex was visiting the old location to get the community guys trapped and moved, we bought large bowls, filled them with dry food, and with water. He would freshen and replenish. That way hopefully everyone had SOMETHING to eat and drink (There were at least two other families in the neighborhood who fed). He would go after work and whomever he could get, he brought up. We NEVER left a trap, though. He had the terrible experience, as I mentioned some time back, of trying to trap a little feral in his work parking lot; the little guy seems to have gone into cardiac arrest because of panic, and passed away before my ex could get to him. NEVER again.
I would NEVER leave a trap. Never so no problem there. If I put a towel over it he will not go in at all. Not at all.

I also have to be careful as there are raccoons and foxes in the yard too. So leaving food for him doesn’t necessarily get eaten by him.

I go back down on Thursday and will be there thru Saturday. Fingers crossed. The new trap comes next week.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NEVER leave a trap. Never so no problem there. If I put a towel over it he will not go in at all. Not at all.

I also have to be careful as there are raccoons and foxes in the yard too. So leaving food for him doesn’t necessarily get eaten by him.

I go back down on Thursday and will be there thru Saturday. Fingers crossed. The new trap comes next week.
Yeah, those omnivores are opportunists. Especially if they discover a dependable source of food. Especially in summer, when it's lean pickin's.
*PRAYERS* that Oscar will COME IN on this trip. He doesn't know what he's missing. Well, actually he does. He just needs to get his PURRiorities straight.:goodluck::hangin::cheerleader::agree::purr:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I put a towel over it - he won’t go near it. Not even in an inch. If it’s plain and unadorned - he goes in 1/2 way. And as I said - I never leave the premises when it’s set. I am inside staring out the window ready to go and throw a towel over it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all waiting and hoping. :hugs: C’mon Oscar! Just a few more steps Oscar!
The wider and higher trap may feel a lot less confining. It may be just what is needed. Be sure to hide the trip plate. You know cats are curious and always searching for a nice new place for a nap. Boxes are often a favorite thing to some. When I got my larger trap, I had just opened the box and was testing it. I had it set but had slid it back in the box for a minute to get food and all the things needed to get it set up. A cat liked the box! No food was in the trap but a cat was. You just never know what a cat may do that will bring a happy surprise. I know Oscar does not trust a towel covered trap but…..something that appears to be a cool dark cat cave? Maybe.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I bought. Now I am counting the days until it gets here!

I am going down tomorrow and will try again. I talk to him when I see him and beg him to help me and cooperate!

30FCD - Fat Cat Animal Trap
Looks like a very nice trap and the reviews are good! Yes, hoping for a speedy delivery to you and then, a speedy entry for Oscar!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trucatch traps are my absolute favorite! I love that I can tie a string to the top of a filled water bottle, put it in place to hold the end with the rings on it open and when kitty goes in I snatch the bottle out fast! This allows me to stay hidden from a great distance away. I use a very long string. Because I am the one closing the door, it allows me to put a nice bit of foam pad in the bottom so kitty does not feel the metal of the trap. I have snatched the water bottle so hard and fast that it flew! Lol The rings drop and kitty is in! I got my Trucatch from a professional kitty trapper. I think the cats really trust that the door is propped open. If you do this, test it first inside. Practice a bit to be sure you have the bottle right at the edge of the door frame and know exactly how it needs to be. Practice pulling the string too. Fast! This is awesome! Good choice!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trucatch traps are my absolute favorite! I love that I can tie a string to the top of a filled water bottle, put it in place to hold the end with the rings on it open and when kitty goes in I snatch the bottle out fast! This allows me to stay hidden from a great distance away. I use a very long string. Because I am the one closing the door, it allows me to put a nice bit of foam pad in the bottom so kitty does not feel the metal of the trap. I have snatched the water bottle so hard and fast that it flew! Lol The rings drop and kitty is in! I got my Trucatch from a professional kitty trapper. I think the cats really trust that the door is propped open. If you do this, test it first inside. Practice a bit to be sure you have the bottle right at the edge of the door frame and know exactly how it needs to be. Practice pulling the string too. Fast! This is awesome! Good choice!
Really? I have the other tru catch that he goes halfway into . . .I didn't know about a bottle .. just about the trip plate. He only goes in halfway and so I don't think I can do the bottle trick.

LIke I said - I have the regular size tru catch and bought it last year since it doesn't slam shut. I always worry about tail injuries. Do you think I should try the bottle trick . . .even if he's only halfway in?