Feral in my garage

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is still here and so all is not yet lost. I have to believe it will work out and I can bring him to safety; it's too hard to think about leaving here without him.
Yes, it's easier for you to bring him along with you than for you to leave him behind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's easier for you to bring him along with you than for you to leave him behind.
Yes, and when I opened that window this morning I felt sick. I didn't want to. But not drinking . . . dehydrated cats feel like crap and so the longer he went the worse he would feel on top of the stress. I didn't want him to get sick since going to the vet or having one come here would be double the trauma for him.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry. This has been hell for me and I tried so hard. But no bodily functions for 4 days in a healthy cat was very scary to me. No water or food or movement. I did the best I could at this point and didn’t want him to get sick like you didn’t want your girl to hurt herself. It’s so hard.
Please don't be hard on yourself. You did everything possible. I had to do the same for a feral who I trapped for tnr. In the end, I had to release him early because he refused to eat. I don't like to release cats post tnr before they get a good meal from me, but had to break that rule for him. If I was trying to keep that cat, forget it, I would find myself in the same situation as you. A more experienced tnr person told me that there are some ferals that would starve themselves after being trapped. They get very depressed. It was best to release them asap.

I know you will continue to help Oscar. You are very committed. Thank you for caring for this cat. You went above and beyond. 🙂

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that Oscar has come back to you so quickly! You have not given up on each other! Wouldn't it be great if we could choose who moves into a house we sell? That way, you could choose a responsible person who loves cats and stipulate that the new owner must take over feeding and care of Oscar! Since that is not too likely (and since you and Oscar have such a strong bond to begin with) I'm glad you are planning to take him with you when you move.

I caught my two cats by spending several weeks putting treats in large carriers, throwing the treats farther and farther into the back of the carriers. Luckily, I was able to stand nearby. I scheduled an appointment with my vet and that morning I quickly closed the carrier doors while the cats were busy eating treats in the back, covered the carriers, and took them right to the vet. One of the cats had to be sedated in order for blood to be drawn, but knowing they were both healthy allowed me to feel comfortable bringing them into their "safe room" in my house where there are two other cats. So I am suggesting that you consider taking Oscar to the vet as soon as you trap him and before you bring him to your new home. Just a thought! It would save you having to take him later on and would allow you to learn of health issues, if any. Of course it is traumatic, but my cats got over it very quickly and seemed no worse for the experience.

I can imagine how emotional this has been (and continues to be) for you, but I applaud all your efforts to help Oscar. Thank you so much for caring for this little guy -- please take good care of yourself as well!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, Avery Avery , when my ex dumped us, he took care of the realtor/selling our home and land, which was set up for multiple cats; and the buyers are cat lovers with cats of their own. Especially in a sellers' market, you CAN decide who gets the house if you have multiple offers. And of course, you can ask prospective buyers about their families. If they mention cats, you know you've got a definite contender.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, Avery Avery , when my ex dumped us, he took care of the realtor/selling our home and land, which was set up for multiple cats; and the buyers are cat lovers with cats of their own. Especially in a sellers' market, you CAN decide who gets the house if you have multiple offers. And of course, you can ask prospective buyers about their families. If they mention cats, you know you've got a definite contender.
That would be the best solution so he could stay in his territory. But gosh, I would love to be able to trap him and try him in a more quiet place away from my dogs. I am not ready to give up on him being with me.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone still following the situation with Oscar, things are somewhat back to normal. Although last night for the first time ever, I was able to sit within 8 feet of him while he ate his dinner. And this morning he was under my car in the driveway, laying on the little comfy mat that I put under there. I know they are very small things, but they give me hope.

I have the trap back where I had it when I trapped him and where he eats his breakfast.

I am hoping all is not lost. I am actively looking for a house that has a separate barn or shed or someplace I could set him up away from the dogs. I know all of this is a long-shot . . . but I am doing the best I can. I am not capable of just leaving him here and not having a plan for him.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to have a catio built for him. That is what I have wanted all along.

But I have to find the right house - trap him again if possible - and transport him when moving - and then have a catio built. I pray that I can do all of that and trap him again. At least I have learned that he can’t be located in a noisy inside area, even if a separate room. He ate fine when in the garage. He still heard the dogs but could be way up in the rafters which is different than an interior room.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although last night for the first time ever, I was able to sit within 8 feet of him while he ate his dinner. And this morning he was under my car in the driveway, laying on the little comfy mat that I put under there. I know they are very small things, but they give me hope.
That's major progress. Despite his recent "adventure" perhaps he became more trusting of you, and maybe even misses you.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Although last night for the first time ever, I was able to sit within 8 feet of him while he ate his dinner. And this morning he was under my car in the driveway, laying on the little comfy mat that I put under there. I know they are very small things, but they give me hope.
I'm very sure he has chosen you and you are his. No second thoughts on this.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to have a catio built for him. That is what I have wanted all along.

But I have to find the right house - trap him again if possible - and transport him when moving - and then have a catio built. I pray that I can do all of that and trap him again. At least I have learned that he can’t be located in a noisy inside area, even if a separate room. He ate fine when in the garage. He still heard the dogs but could be way up in the rafters which is different than an interior room.
There are also prefab sheds you can buy--TuffShed is one popular brand but there are others. You can search "prefabricated sheds" for info on those if you like. And yes, there are prefab cat enclosures of all sizes, kinds, and prices, too! hauspanther.com has a link to catioshowcase.com where you can view some builds that people have done, from modest to all-out spectacular; and there are links to prefab units as well.
Glad to read your good news, and praying and hoping he will indeed be your cat!:redheartpump::bigeyes::redheartpump:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom! But I don't want to get my hopes up after the fiasco of trapping him. I am just praying that I will be able to trap him again and he is safe until then.
Do all you can to gain his trust. Make the best out of it during this time. This step is very important, you can only betray him just once, and this just once is to trap him and bring him along with you. Other than that, do not betray his trust. You are his only hope.

We are rooting for you. All the best to both of you but keep us updated so that ideas can be contributed to make the whole transition smooth.

Just remember this rule, it is always one step forward and two steps back, so no rushing.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are also prefab sheds you can buy--TuffShed is one popular brand but there are others. You can search "prefabricated sheds" for info on those if you like. And yes, there are prefab cat enclosures of all sizes, kinds, and prices, too! hauspanther.com has a link to catioshowcase.com where you can view some builds that people have done, from modest to all-out spectacular; and there are links to prefab units as well.
Glad to read your good news, and praying and hoping he will indeed be your cat!:redheartpump::bigeyes::redheartpump:
Thanks Tarasgirl06! So many great catios . . .you know you love cats when instead of dreaming of a gourmet kitchen, you are dreaming of a nice catio!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Tarasgirl06! So many great catios . . .you know you love cats when instead of dreaming of a gourmet kitchen, you are dreaming of a nice catio!
YES!. Ours was pretty nice. We built out the covered patio and enclosed it. We put in a glass panel with a catflap AND a screened panel with a catflap in the same insert from the living room so they could access the catio 24/7 (except in sandstorms or snowstorms, when I had to close the slider completely). We really loved it. They'd be out there all night sometimes.
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG