Feral in my garage

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with this ^! Even here in NH, they do - I don't know how... and I worry about the ones that refuse to even go into a cat house or garage at all.

But I had an idea for you (my 'new' outdoor feral won't let me even SEE him/her yet and isn't using any of the little houses I have set up):

A portable power station (like the Bluetti Portable Power Station EB55, $399 on Amazon)! I have used these for power outages. I have a big one that can run a refrigerator for long outages, but it was expensive for such a rarely-used item. Now, they make them smaller. You can even attach it to a solar panel placed in his kitty run outside, if you wanted, to charge it on sunny days, or you can bring it in your house to charge it up every few days.

While it won't run a big room heater long enough, it could run a small 4 watt max cat bed heater, like the one mentioned below (I don't dare try to add a link), likely for 4.5 days (rough estimate with a 4 watt heater - someone please check my math!).

A 4 watt bed heater placed in a cozy mall house with straw or a cat warming/reflecting pad should be fine for him inside his palace on cold nights - he'll be dry and safe and fed already. No worries about extension cords getting wet, etc.
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Bed Heated Cat Bed Large 20 Inches Sage/Tan - 4 watts - or
Thermo-Kitty Cuddle Up Heated Cat Bed for Pets 16 Inch Mocha

or a 20 watt one: K&H Pet Products Lectro-Soft Igloo Style Dog Bed, Tan, 20W/Small

BUT, it's more money, and you've spent a lot on sweet Oscar already. Just a thought, feel free to dismiss it entirely, lol. :catrub:
I will look into that heater for sure. I also do have the K&H mod thermo kitty shelter that I got for him. I could plug it into the extension cord. Thanks for the suggestions!

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will look into that heater for sure. I also do have the K&H mod thermo kitty shelter that I got for him. I could plug it into the extension cord. Thanks for the suggestions!
Great! I wasn't sure you'd want to use the extension cord in the winter - hence, that portable 'power station' I mentioned - it uses either solar (NO gas!) and/or you could recharge it every 5 days - and I confirmed, that's all you'd need for a 4watt little bed heater.

Any little portable power station would work, not just that brand. There are cheaper ones, too. No need for an extension cord; you could leave the little unit in the room with him, as it's safe and doesn't use fuel.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sweet boy. I love seeing videos of him. :redheartpump::bigeyes:

Is he showing *any* signs of being happy to see you when you stop by to visit?
NO - he’s not comfortable with me in there. When he’s been under the sofa and I put churu in a plate and push towards him - he doesn’t move. If I stay there talking to him; he eventually get up and heads up to the loft.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oscar is so handsome! It must be really difficult not being able to have physical contact with him--I'd want to snorgle him!!! Sounds like he has a friend in there with him 🦗
Yes - I love him so much and I cannot get close to him at all. But - he's safe and happy and that's what is most important

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes - I love him so much and I cannot get close to him at all. But - he's safe and happy and that's what is most important
He's changing week by week, all for the better, thanks to you. He has a cat's paradise there - the best of inside, complete with outside sounds! :lol:

It took one of my ferals (who was later raised inside) over three years to come around to let me touch her. I had given up by that point and wasn't even trying... and she suddenly decided she trusted - and then, adored - me. Bizarre. But wonderful.

When I see what they go through just to survive day to day when they are outside, it amazes me they ever trust at all... but most of them do, on their own time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took a couple of years for the matriarch of the at-large community cat population at our rented place two locations ago to trust us enough to get her vetted and spayed. We worked on all of her generations as they let us, and every one of them except for one little male who slipped the trap right before we moved got basic vetting, spayed/neutered, and adopted by us or taken into rescue. When you live outdoors and are always on guard against demented humans, dogs and other dangerous animals, cars, etc., of course it will take a long time, if ever, for you to trust a human. But it can happen. Consistent food, water, nice talk and non-threatening behavior can work wonders, given time. Oscar knows he is loved and very well cared for, and safe. The only thing he's at risk from is being SNORGLED unmercifully :redheartpump: :bigeyes: :redheartpump: :loveeyes: :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NO - he’s not comfortable with me in there. When he’s been under the sofa and I put churu in a plate and push towards him - he doesn’t move. If I stay there talking to him; he eventually get up and heads up to the loft.
That must be discouraging for you, as I know you so want to snuggle him. One day, hopefully. :catrub:

Have you tried putting a worn piece of your clothing in the shed so he can get more used to your scent?

Yes, he's safe and happy, which is all thanks to you. :redheartpump:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Big day today. I went into the shed and removed the air conditioner. It's still in the shed in a box on the floor - since I didn't need to hurt myself to lift it out and if we have a hot spell again - at least it's already out there.

I put the screen window with the cat door in. It leads to the catio. I know at first it will be stressful to have the window open since more light during the day when he sleeps, and definitely more noise. It's going to take him some getting used to. I am not going to prop open the little door at night just yet. I want him to get used to the screen. Will post a picture later!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big day today. I went into the shed and removed the air conditioner. It's still in the shed in a box on the floor - since I didn't need to hurt myself to lift it out and if we have a hot spell again - at least it's already out there.

I put the screen window with the cat door in. It leads to the catio. I know at first it will be stressful to have the window open since more light during the day when he sleeps, and definitely more noise. It's going to take him some getting used to. I am not going to prop open the little door at night just yet. I want him to get used to the screen. Will post a picture later!
We'll be waiting and anticipating Oscar's exploration of his "great (but safe!) outdoors"! :redheartpump: :bigeyes::redheartpump::goldstar:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here’s the little door in the screen. It’s super flimsy but thought it was good to try before I invest $$$ in the expensive ones.

I will prop it open one night next week. This week he can jump up and check out the screen.
4CA69328-B3EB-4119-828B-E6130A940A53.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here’s the little door in the screen. It’s super flimsy but thought it was good to try before I invest $$$ in the expensive ones.

I will prop it open one night next week. This week he can jump up and check out the screen.
View attachment 432096
Looks okay to me! It has "the Paw of Welcome" on it, after all :yess::greenpaw:

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

SO EXCITING! Can't wait to hear / see what he thinks of it!

(I'm a bit obsessed with Oscar - and I worry about critters getting into that soffit space. Raccoons, etc will be looking soon for places to keep warm - they are around here, anyway -- and I NEVER had raccoons before... or at least, I didn't know I did! They were all over the front porch the other night - but they are also very cute -- 2 babies, no mom. :/. )

Really looking forward to hearing/seeing what he thinks of his incredible Catio!
Lucky duck! I mean, cat. :winkcat: