Feral in my garage

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't even imagine how stressful this must be for you. Fingers crossed the KFC is the winner. As a vegetarian, I totally understand not wanting to handle certain animal foods, but as my love of cats overrode my preference to not have any sort of meat in my home, I know your love for Oscar will help you do what needs to be done to get him safely into his new home with you.

Good luck. Know I'm thinking of you and sending pawsitive vibes your way.

1654168879620.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone pulling for me.

I am driving down tomorrow morning early and bought Mackerel in Olive Oil to try. He's not a fan of human tuna or salmon (weird I know) and so it might not work. I checked for KFC and the only ones within 20 miles are in sketchy parts of town and so I will go if I have to - but not a great option. The funny thing is that on the canned mackerel . . .the brand name is "King Oscar." so maybe that's a sign. I know - I am grasping at straws.

I have to sell that house - but don't want to have anyone clean the yard or get it ready until I get him. He is still hanging around and when I call him - he instantly appears near the fence. He has no idea that all that habitat will be gone. Every time I see him my heart breaks.

If I don't get him tomorrow - I am going down on Sunday and will have to bring my dogs. I will also have to leave my two indoor cats in the house alone for 2 /12 days which I have never done. I hope they will handle it OK. Then I will stay Sunday until Tuesday morning and keep trying. The house is empty so it's a production of bringing dog food, beds, and a blanket for me to sleep on the floor. I do hope the universe sees my commitment and doesn't break my heart. Oscar is hungry now . . and so come winter - he's screwed if I don't get him. And 4th of July with fireworks, etc.

THanks for all your support and prayers and I will keep you posted.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Catio is one of the best I've ever seen. And cedar is the best building material! You won't ever have termites with cedar.
A helpful thing to think is that even though you're vegan, all cats are obligate carnivores--more than any other species, they need meat to survive and thrive. It's all about Oscar! (My roomies eat and drink VERY differently from me. He was surprised that I would invite them because of this. The way I think about it is, I live surrounded by people who do almost everything differently from me, but I have to get along with them. I don't have to eat or drink what my roomies do. As long as she keeps the kitchen CLEAN, it's their choice to eat and drink what they want (except bad-smelling stuff like parmesan cheese, which I've told them they can't bring in here as it makes me nauseous). Same with cats. They have their food, I have mine. It all works.
My Baby Su, born feral, came in swingin', so to speak, and is still feral by nature. She'll bite or scratch with purpose when she feels she needs to. I don't mind at all. It's her way of telling me I'm offending her. She hates having her claws clipped and sometimes I can get one or two when she's drowsy but then she'll bite. That's my cue that Enough is Enough.
Time, love, and patience are the keys to convincing a cat to come in from the cold. Perseverance, too. It WILL pay off. Since he comes to you immediately when you call him, he already trusts you that much. He knows you are friend and not enemy. King Oscar might be the clincher! *Prayers* for it to be so.
And absolutely NEVER leave a trap unattended. It can have very bad results. Always have eyes on the trap.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your Catio is one of the best I've ever seen. And cedar is the best building material! You won't ever have termites with cedar.
A helpful thing to think is that even though you're vegan, all cats are obligate carnivores--more than any other species, they need meat to survive and thrive. It's all about Oscar! (My roomies eat and drink VERY differently from me. He was surprised that I would invite them because of this. The way I think about it is, I live surrounded by people who do almost everything differently from me, but I have to get along with them. I don't have to eat or drink what my roomies do. As long as she keeps the kitchen CLEAN, it's their choice to eat and drink what they want (except bad-smelling stuff like parmesan cheese, which I've told them they can't bring in here as it makes me nauseous). Same with cats. They have their food, I have mine. It all works.
My Baby Su, born feral, came in swingin', so to speak, and is still feral by nature. She'll bite or scratch with purpose when she feels she needs to. I don't mind at all. It's her way of telling me I'm offending her. She hates having her claws clipped and sometimes I can get one or two when she's drowsy but then she'll bite. That's my cue that Enough is Enough.
Time, love, and patience are the keys to convincing a cat to come in from the cold. Perseverance, too. It WILL pay off. Since he comes to you immediately when you call him, he already trusts you that much. He knows you are friend and not enemy. King Oscar might be the clincher! *Prayers* for it to be so.
And absolutely NEVER leave a trap unattended. It can have very bad results. Always have eyes on the trap.
I have been a vegan since 1976 and it's my thing. I never force it or discuss it with anyone unless they are interested. I have no problem getting him KFC - I just don't want to get jumped in the process.

I would never leave the trap out of my sight. I set it and go into the house and watch from there. Some people have recommended a box trap but I am not there for a week to wait and watch and he is very skittish about anything "new." He is used to the trap I have and used to go into it 1/2 way when we had a routine and i fed him in there. Now that routine is off and so he's not going in. He knows it to be open and OK to eat in and so I am hoping that past training I did feeding him in it for almost a year kicks in. Please let it!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been a vegan since 1976 and it's my thing. I never force it or discuss it with anyone unless they are interested. I have no problem getting him KFC - I just don't want to get jumped in the process.

I would never leave the trap out of my sight. I set it and go into the house and watch from there. Some people have recommended a box trap but I am not there for a week to wait and watch and he is very skittish about anything "new." He is used to the trap I have and used to go into it 1/2 way when we had a routine and i fed him in there. Now that routine is off and so he's not going in. He knows it to be open and OK to eat in and so I am hoping that past training I did feeding him in it for almost a year kicks in. Please let it!!
YES. *PRAYERS* for Oscar to GET IN THE TRAP.
Some supermarkets have rotisserie chickens--Trader Joe's has rosemary rock cornish hens--and then there are the other junk food places like Church's, Chick FilA, etc. Maybe one of those alternatives is easier and safer?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YES. *PRAYERS* for Oscar to GET IN THE TRAP.
Some supermarkets have rotisserie chickens--Trader Joe's has rosemary rock cornish hens--and then there are the other junk food places like Church's, Chick FilA, etc. Maybe one of those alternatives is easier and safer?
I could easily go to McDonalds - but what would I order? Would a chicken sandwich do it? I also bought canned chicken but it's in water so probably not too stinky. It's weird - I have put out fresh chicken for him in the past and he preferred the fancy feast. Oscar is 4 to 5 years old so maybe he only eats what he knows ....and maybe that has kept him from eating poison and surviving all this time perhaps.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could easily go to McDonalds - but what would I order? Would a chicken sandwich do it? I also bought canned chicken but it's in water so probably not too stinky. It's weird - I have put out fresh chicken for him in the past and he preferred the fancy feast. Oscar is 4 to 5 years old so maybe he only eats what he knows ....and maybe that has kept him from eating poison and surviving all this time perhaps.
I don't eat any of those things and don't have experience of/with them, so don't know. But whatever you get--a fish sandwich? a chicken sandwich? a burger? -- make sure you remove any spices (take off the skin or breading) before giving. Yes, the cat foods are specifically formulated FOR cats, to please their palates. The manufacturers have test panels of cats tasting the foods.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
alone for 2 /12 days which I have never done. I hope they will handle it OK.
They'll be fine, with extra litterboxes (cardboard boxes can work with the sides cut down) extra kibble and water, and if you can, set some cat music on a timer, along with some of your worn unwashed clothing in one or two of their favorite places.

he preferred the fancy feast.
LOL smart cat :thumbsup:

I could easily go to McDonalds - but what would I order?
Try a couple orders of chicken mcnuggets.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous shed and catio! I haven't checked in here for awhile.
Oh Oscar, hoping you go for the nuggets and mackerel! You have a wonderful guardian waiting to give you a new safer home!
Is there a Popeye's anywhere accessible? One of my cats loves liver. Totally gross for you being vegan, but if you know someone who could deal with it.
The dedication you have is inspiring.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I drive two hours down and the rain stopped and he was so hungry that he almost came to me. I put the mackerel in the trap - covered it and left to watch from the house.

He looked at it - walked around and left. I’ve been calling him but he’s gone. Now he’s starving and not trapped. I can come down again until Sunday. I will bring the dogs ans stay thru Thursday morning. That will give me 3 more tries. I’m besides myself.

I will buy raw liver if that will do it. I’m in tears!! I feel like I’m failing him.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drive two hours down and the rain stopped and he was so hungry that he almost came to me. I put the mackerel in the trap - covered it and left to watch from the house.

He looked at it - walked around and left. I’ve been calling him but he’s gone. Now he’s starving and not trapped. I can come down again until Sunday. I will bring the dogs ans stay thru Thursday morning. That will give me 3 more tries. I’m besides myself.

I will buy raw liver if that will do it. I’m in tears!! I feel like I’m failing him.
Keep doing what you're doing. Oscar knows you love him and want to help him. You're getting close. DON'T GIVE UP.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that Waffles (who loves liver) was semi-feral at least would have had that with living on mice etc., maybe that's why he goes for it, familiarity. So maybe Oscar too.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh - Just got home after my drive. I am exhausted. Came in to find my senior dog - who is semi-incontinent. So, she poops in her sleep, then wakes up, eats it and drinks water. Then throws up . . .that was all over the house. So now to clean for the next 2 hours. I am exhausted and Oscar still not trapped and I am still not able to sell my house! Prayers please!! Thanks.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh - Just got home after my drive. I am exhausted. Came in to find my senior dog - who is semi-incontinent. So, she poops in her sleep, then wakes up, eats it and drinks water. Then throws up . . .that was all over the house. So now to clean for the next 2 hours. I am exhausted and Oscar still not trapped and I am still not able to sell my house! Prayers please!! Thanks.
*Prayers* definitely! Maybe the dog should be in a single room with an easily cleanable floor from now on when you're not there? Just a thought.
*OSCAR! COME IN, OSCAR!!!*:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::happycat:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Prayers* definitely! Maybe the dog should be in a single room with an easily cleanable floor from now on when you're not there? Just a thought.
*OSCAR! COME IN, OSCAR!!!*:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::happycat:
She’s an old girl and would be too upset isolated from my other dog and two spoiled cats that she loves.

I’m going down with them for 2 nights to the house. That gives me three mornings to try with him. I’m sleeping on the floor! The house is empty!

I’m getting raw chicken livers tomorrow to try.