Feral has Feline leukemia

Rooneyzoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our semi-feral outdoor cat has just been diagnosed with feline leukemia. We will treat the current infection but I am not sure what to do after that. I can’t bring him indoors as we have 2 inside only cats. Also we have another outdoor stray and the two of them are best buddies. I will have to test the second outdoor cat to ensure he’s not infected. Just not sure how to protect the uninfected cats while giving him some quality of life.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear this. Which test was used to diagnosis FELV? There are two types. The first being the SNAP test which is a quick in office test. This can sometimes have false positives. The second is called IFA. This is a blood test that is sent away to a lab for confirmation. If you did not do the IFA test, I would be sure to confirm by having the cat retested this way. FELV is highly contagious. It can be transmitted through saliva so any shared grooming or shared food/water bowls is a method of transmission. It would be very likely that the second stray also has FELV.

Since the cat is an outdoor cat, the kindest thing you can do is to build an enclosure. If not, the cat will continue to infect other cats. The cat will be very susceptible to many illnesses and being outside may make this difficult.

If the other cat is is somehow not infected, there is a vaccine that can be used.

You are sure that the cat has FELV and not FIV? Also what symptoms is the cat showing right now? What advice did the vet give you?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's so hard. I'm SO glad you found your way here - - - lots of kind, knowledgable people are here, so you can always find someone who'll listen, and often find wonderful suggestions too.

As always - - shadowsrescue shadowsrescue has asked just the right questions (you beat me to every one shadowsrescue shadowsrescue !). As noted - - make sure it's FeLV not FIV (as already noted!) as it's easy to confuse the two - - - and I agree that I'd repeat the test if it was a SNAP test. I've seen many false positives. If it is FIV, being around other cats (as it's spread primarily through deep bites) is still very much a possibility, as is - with a little extra care- a pretty long, happy life. FeLV is much more contagious. But as noted - - an enclosure is definitely an option if it's FeLLV.

Keep us posted - - - you'll have lots of shoulders here to lean on whichever way it goes!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you’re going through this. I don’t envy the position you’re in right now.

I don't have much to add to what’s already been said, but I’ll throw another couple options out there just in case.

Google to see if any FeLV+ rescues or sanctuaries are near you. We have an enclosure specifically for these cats where I work, so they do exist, and it’s worth a little googling just to see if there’s one around your area.

The other option could potentially be taming this guy and finding someone to adopt him who already has FeLV+ cats or only wants one (strictly indoor) cat.

These people are far and few between, and it would very likely take quite some time to find someone, but hey, it’s an option. I managed to do this very thing with an FeLV+ feral before - elderly people tend to be great for single pet homes.

You would need a spare room to isolate him in, and preferably a large wire dog crate for the first few weeks. You’d also need to be sure to read up on all safety precautions to ensure your other kitties are safe, and I’d have them vaccinated too.

It would have to be a substantial commitment on your end though. Not everyone can take it on, and that’s okay. But unfortunately a lot of people do not live somewhere they’re able to, or cannot afford to, build an enclosure, so I thought I’d mention it just in case.

First thing’s first though - be sure to confirm the diagnosis with proper testing.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will upset some people by saying this but years ago I decided whoever crossed my path and needed a home would come in. I don't test anyone (they are spayed/neutered and rabies vaccinated). I came to that decision as the lesser (in my mind) of two evils - the other being the next to impossible task of finding a home for an immunocompromised cat or euthanizing a cat with no symptoms of illness ( never an option for me.) Since almost all are former ferals, I know that they will probably have less time in this world. It doesn't make it any easier when they leave me. But I also came to that decision after years of watching friends and colleagues do everything "right" - yearly exams, testing for illnesses - and seeing them still lose their animals too soon.

Again, just my opinion.