Feral given convenia not eating 😔

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took one of my outdoor guys to a clinic Monday, trapped him at 2 am. He has been limping for 3-4 weeks. They gave him covenia which I was very upset about and did no xray. They also rx a very expensive anti inflammatory. He is not eating now and I am worried it is anorexia due to convenia.
I called them out for all of this and they ended up doing an xray which was ok. They apologized for the convenia. There was no sign of infection so they were also wrong to give an antibiotic. And still no diagnosis of what is causing him to limp for so long.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is pretty common for a cat to not want to eat with Convenia. I had a feral once that I had just brought inside and he was given Convenia for UTI. It was a nightmare for 3 weeks to get him to eat. I had to get very creative and use lots of tuna and tuna water.

Most limping injuries are soft tissue. The only way for them to heal is for complete rest. Can you keep him inside until he heals? I know not ideal, but if he keeps moving around on it, the limp will take quite awhile to heal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Limiting mobility is certainly helpful, if you can do so. What did the x-ray tell you - anything?

Two FDA approved NSAIDs for cats are Meloxicam and Onsior with restricted use in terms of duration, but they are actually used much more liberally outside the US. I believe both can be administered in oral form, but they do require a prescription - at least here in the US. I am just reading up on each of them, as I plan to start with Onsior (the one my vet said OK to) for my cat who has arthritis, and just recently starting limping again after years of arthritis supplements. She isn't the same as an outdoor cat, but I am wondering if she didn't somehow manage to injure herself recently doing something she shouldn't have done with her level of arthritis.

If this is an 'older' cat, you might also consider an arthritic supplement as well. Feeby did great with Glyco Flex Plus for 3 years, and then got tired of the green lipped mussel taste/smell, so we are now trying Cosequin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pretty common for a cat to not want to eat with Convenia. I had a feral once that I had just brought inside and he was given Convenia for UTI. It was a nightmare for 3 weeks to get him to eat. I had to get very creative and use lots of tuna and tuna water.

Most limping injuries are soft tissue. The only way for them to heal is for complete rest. Can you keep him inside until he heals? I know not ideal, but if he keeps moving around on it, the limp will take quite awhile to heal.
Thanks. I am very upset about the convenia- no antibiotic was indicated and now he is anorexic on top of everything else. I should’ve taken him to my normal Dvm who would not have done any of this and certainly would not have given him convenia or anything without talking to me first. I thought I could save some money because they tend not to charge as much but now it has jeopardized his health.
Onsior is the exorbitantly priced anti-inflammatory which they have RX for three days there was no way to get it in his system now because he’s not eating. $50 for 3 days, ridiculous!
He will be Inside in the drop trap now probably for longer than what I had thought so hopefully this will be time for him to recover from whatever is causing the limp. At least I know now that he does not have cancer or anything like that hopefully. I hope he survives the convenia- now I have to try to nurse him back into eating again he’s in trap so it’s not going to be easy.

I tried touching him a little bit through the cage and he growled hissed and went into the litter pan, he is urinating in the litter pan but the first night he pooped on the wee pads.
In addition he now has fiv, my plan had been to eventually take him and his friend cinnamon in and try to tame them but this is going to throw a wrench in the works because I don’t know if he will be aggressive with my other three boys. When I first TNR him he was FIV negative.

When I took Jezebel to my DVM and this one who did her enucleation it turned out that her eye infection was rapidly spreading oral cancer not an FHV infection. If someone had done an x-ray from the beginning we probably could’ve seen that she had cancer and I would not put her through that surgery.

My beloved cat Angelina was given convenia almost 12 years ago, and she died nine days after with severe anemia which started after the inj. Dvm tried to deny that it had anything to do with it but I know that it had everything to do with it and again she should never of received an antibiotic, because she had no sign of infection, it turned out that she had cancer. I did a necropsy at Cornell.

Giving Feral Cats this drug willy nilly is totally wrong, first of all you have to have a diagnosis, you don’t just give drugs without having any indication that they are required, especially a drug like this that stays in the system far longer than they even document. It is in their system for 64 days- if the cat is already ill with something like cancer it’s going to cause their demise and it has caused the demise of many cats who weren’t even ill at all who we’re just having a dental.

I am also concerned about starting him on the anti-inflammatory while he’s trying to recover from the damage convenia is doing to him. So maybe it’s a good thing that he didn’t eat it yet. The last thing he needs is another assault on his system and who knows how they could interact together.

I called the clinic and told him he’s not eating and the woman I spoke with was trying to say oh it’s just because he’s nervous being in the trap. These people are ridiculous, they always have some excuse for whatever is really going on and I told her twice that he was giving convenia and that anorexia is a well known side effect of that. When I first did his TNR and he was in the trap for I think a week maybe or something else that was going on with him at the time he had no trouble eating. I pointed this out to her but she had no response to that.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Limiting mobility is certainly helpful, if you can do so. What did the x-ray tell you - anything?

Two FDA approved NSAIDs for cats are Meloxicam and Onsior with restricted use in terms of duration, but they are actually used much more liberally outside the US. I believe both can be administered in oral form, but they do require a prescription - at least here in the US. I am just reading up on each of them, as I plan to start with Onsior (the one my vet said OK to) for my cat who has arthritis, and just recently starting limping again after years of arthritis supplements. She isn't the same as an outdoor cat, but I am wondering if she didn't somehow manage to injure herself recently doing something she shouldn't have done with her level of arthritis.

If this is an 'older' cat, you might also consider an arthritic supplement as well. Feeby did great with Glyco Flex Plus for 3 years, and then got tired of the green lipped mussel taste/smell, so we are now trying Cosequin.
the only good thing I can say about the situation is that he’s going to be in the trap for probably two weeks now so he is going to have to limit his mobility and hopefully that will help whatever is going on if it is a soft tissue injury.
Onsior is the drug they gave him $50 for three days! I hope this helps your girl but I’m wondering how are you gonna be able to afford it.
Since he is not eating he’s not going to be taking it for a while anyway which is maybe for the best since I want to wait till he recovers from convenia.
Maybe she hurt herself trying to jump up on something and you didn’t see it maybe.

At some point I had all of my kitties on glucosamine and they were flying around like helicopters 😹 I hope it helps her 😁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Onsior is the drug they gave him $50 for three days! I hope this helps your girl but I’m wondering how are you gonna be able to afford it. Since he is not eating he’s not going to be taking it for a while anyway which is maybe for the best since I want to wait till he recovers from convenia. Maybe she hurt herself trying to jump up on something and you didn’t see it maybe. At some point I had all of my kitties on glucosamine and they were flying around like helicopters
Since he is confined, I think it is a good idea to withhold other treatments while waiting for the Covenia to clear his system.

I just got the Onsior, and while not cheap, for me it was $26 for 3 pills. I still think 3 pills is not enough, but maybe it will help. And, yes a cat has to be eating to administer Onsior. What about the Meloxicam instead? Still researching that one, but chose to go with Onsior since my vet was willing to offer it without a 'fight'.

Not sure what you mean by 'flying around like helicopters' while on glucosamine. Unless you mean something like bouncing off the walls, I would think their ample mobility with it was a good sign. Of course, I doubt that I would give it to a young cat at all - just when they reach an age where joint issues become more prevalent.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he is confined, I think it is a good idea to withhold other treatments while waiting for the Covenia to clear his system.

I just got the Onsior, and while not cheap, for me it was $26 for 3 pills. I still think 3 pills is not enough, but maybe it will help. And, yes a cat has to be eating to administer Onsior. What about the Meloxicam instead? Still researching that one, but chose to go with Onsior since my vet was willing to offer it without a 'fight'.

Not sure what you mean by 'flying around like helicopters' while on glucosamine. Unless you mean something like bouncing off the walls, I would think their ample mobility with it was a good sign. Of course, I doubt that I would give it to a young cat at all - just when they reach an age where joint issues become more prevalent.
Thanks. Sybil was given it for bladder issues and the others had some joint stuff going on and were middle aged range as I recall. There are a lot of other things that it is used to treat besides arthritis and similar issues.

I meant they were leaping around and flying though the air etc. with a speed and dexterity from earlier days. For Sybil she was always like that being a Forest Cat but it was even more exaggerated. It didn’t seem to have any effect on helping all of her bladder issues though so I stopped giving it to at all of them because I didn’t really seem to be doing that much better to except to make them more agile. I think it gave Angie runs maybe.
Yes it would be a good sign – I have used it myself and I always feel better and my joints are more lubricated with it. It does have some other issues for me though too.

It is sad that you have to get into a fight with the DVM in order to get medication your cat needs. What is this world coming to.

At this point I don’t think I can afford to get something else for him unless they’re going to refund me for the onsior, that they’ve now rendered him incapable of taking. But I will look up meloxicam.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So he has still not eaten as far as I could tell, my brother checked on him as well as I was at work all day into evening.

I cleaned everything up- I had trouble getting him out of the litter pan where he was sleeping. I pushed the litter pan up to the carrier portion and then just start scooping the litter because he wouldn’t get out with the divider nudging him a bit.
He growled and hissed but did go into the carrier when I started scooping with him in it.

I cleaned the rest of the cage which took quite a while. I just put one dish of dry food and some fresh water now. He did pee and poop a little in the litter pan.

After I cleaned everything I opened up the barrier and when I went to the bathroom he went back into the main portion of the trap- when I came back he had pooped one little poop in the carrier part so I had to clean that all over and throw out a brand new wee pad.

I was hoping to get him to start sleeping in the carrier part and only poop in the box, so I put a towel on top of the pad, and also to get him stop sleeping in the litter pan. I know it’s probably giving him some comfort of some sort but I hate having to get him out of there to clean it etc. and it’s not really healthy.

The good thing is Fred is actually using the litter pan mostly after the first day when he pooped a little and now.

I guess he’s just marking his territory and he’s nervous. I know it’s probably giving him some comfort of some sort but I hate having to get them out of there to clean it etc. and it’s not really healthy.

Zena was just pooping on the wee pad has not using the litter box at all at first.

So far Fred’s poop is, OK fingers crossed, they said his stool sample was negative for everything, please do not let him get diarrhea or something else now.🙏🏻

Yesterday before I went to sleep I sat with him playing purrli and listening to and singing to Adele songs as well, I think he liked it lol.

I think I’m going to ask Dvm for a refund for the medication. Let’s see what they say.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I forgot to mention they said the xray was normal. So at least I think we know he does not have cancer anything like that.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If possible since you are keeping him inside for 2 weeks, I would look to see if you can start to tame him. If you put him back outside and then want to try again it will be much harder to retrap him. Now with the FIV it is most important to keep him inside if possible. Most neutered cats will not fight and intend to bite deep enough to spread FIV. He he could get in a situation outside where he is attacked by a non neutered male and then the fight could get ugly.

I have 2 former feral cats that now live inside that are both FIV+. I have 7 cats. One of the FIV+ boys is on the aggressive side with a couple of the cats. He did bite 2 of the other cats and both wounds required vet care. Yet I had them retested for FIV and both have remained negative. So even though he bit them both, he did not bite deep enough. Cat wounds can look terrible with even just a tiny scratch.

Could you set up an inside space for him to live for awhile in a room of his own and then work to socialize him and introduce him to your other cats?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If possible since you are keeping him inside for 2 weeks, I would look to see if you can start to tame him. If you put him back outside and then want to try again it will be much harder to retrap him. Now with the FIV it is most important to keep him inside if possible. Most neutered cats will not fight and intend to bite deep enough to spread FIV. He he could get in a situation outside where he is attacked by a non neutered male and then the fight could get ugly.

I have 2 former feral cats that now live inside that are both FIV+. I have 7 cats. One of the FIV+ boys is on the aggressive side with a couple of the cats. He did bite 2 of the other cats and both wounds required vet care. Yet I had them retested for FIV and both have remained negative. So even though he bit them both, he did not bite deep enough. Cat wounds can look terrible with even just a tiny scratch.

Could you set up an inside space for him to live for awhile in a room of his own and then work to socialize him and introduce him to your other cats?
I don’t think I can tolerate a situation where he may be biting my other cats at all much less badly enough to have to get medical care and then to have to test for fiv, it just would not be fair to them. I am already stressed out to the max.

And it would also cost a fortune. I have already spent well over $1000 for Merlin swallowing string when most of the treatment was useless because he is fine and for Fred limping etc. when he could have just stayed inside for a while prolly, of course I would not know that he is fiv pos now. But there was no need to give him convenia etc. or the most expensive anti inflammatory.

I have to conserve finances now and can’t afford to spend this much on uneeded care. Everything is far overpriced, our oil cost is being raised by $3.50 which is price gauging not to mention everything else.

I am not sure what to do here. We will be moving to Canada eventually and I will have to figure out a way to get all furbabies back there. Adding two more will be a huge stress, but I doubt I can find homes for him and cinnamon even if I can tame them enough for someone to consider it. It’s heart breaking. If they don’t die first I may have to euthanize them which will kill me.

Apart from tnr clinics no one has helped me with any of these cats so I don’t expect a shelter or sanctuary to come to the rescue etc.

My other outdoor cats who I did not take in have died or vanished. Giorgio who was fiv plus died, he was the first tnr for several years about 7 years ago, and Jezibel had cancer, she showed up tnr. I tried to save them both but it was too late. I wish I had a different situation where I could do more. It is horrible and causes so much pain. Giorgio was very grateful at the end for my help and head butted me, but I felt he was just tortured for no reason and it would have been better to euthanize sooner. Same with Jez, who had fatal cancer, she should not have been put through that surgery. Had I known she could have just been free in the studio for her last days and then euthanize. I don’t know how old Jez was when she showed up, or how long she was outside. No one gave me an estimated age either.

But Girgio lasted maybe 7-9 years outside. I first neutered him because he was aggressive with Sybil who was then in/ out. And it helped. He was an uneutered dumped cat with a collar, whne the collar finally fell off he always had a ring there in his fur. He became touchable outside after a few years. At first it was not clear if he was dumped.

The good news is that Fred is eating now so I plan to let him recover from convenia and if he is still inside start the other med maybe. I am not sure what to do really. He has shown signs of taming, a few months ago he let me touch his nose with my finger after several years but he has never done it again and always runs away outside and so does cinnamon. There is no way to tell if he will get aggressive enough with my guys to bite. That is great your fiv cats did not transmit even with a bite.

He has been outside neutered for a long time and probably had fiv for a long time as well, so the situation won’t be different if he goes back out. They have several insulated shelters and me feeding them non stop. He actually comes and meows and scratches the screen to ask for food.

I really thought he would be my next cat when my Wizard died but he was hissing at me outside and did not seem tame really when he was inside for tnr and then he and Cinnamon became bff. He will not eat often without waiting for Cinnamon to show up. I’m wondering if C has fiv as well, it is not likely though they would bite each other. Fred used to run away from Sybil when she lunged at him at the window- I used to feed them out front and she monitored it all.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to update about Fred and ask for ideas. He is still in the trap. He is eating/ pooping / peeing ok etc. and about 12 days out since convenia. I have started him on gaba for his aggression.

At first he was pretty quiet and only hissed slightly occasionally but about 4 -5 days ago when the sedation etc. was really out of his system, he really growled and lunged spit at me when I cleaned the litter pan. He was laying in it and did not want to get out.

The gaba has helped a bit, but he still either hisses loudly and or runs away when I come near him at all. I tried feeding him with a long spoon, some churu, but he would not eat it and only sniffed it once and growled a few times. He eats the gaba in some wet tuna cat food.

It seems his paw/ leg has recovered quite a bit, although it is hard to tell for sure since he is in the drop trap. He cries on and off and misses his bff Cinnamon for sure.

The good part is he is getting along well through the cage with my guys. Since he will not bond with me and is scared of me etc. I started leaving the bedroom door open and letting them in as well as feeding them there with him with tuna cf treats etc.

Quinn is the only one who has been aggressive, he did loudly growl/ hiss/ swatt at Fred through the cage 1-2 x Fred ran away when he did that. Quinn mostly gives warning hisses etc. Fred did not growl at him and always meows to say hi and talk to them all. Merlin will actually sit with him and sleep there for long periods. When Merlin sleeps there with him he stops crying mostly. Quinn will not eat in the room with Fred yet. I think it started after he heard Fred growling/ lunging at me etc.

In the early am we all sit there together and I read before sleeping. I just get the feeling he does not want me there and prefers the guys/ cats mostly. I also am exhausted from many other things have been doing online training and have limited time.

Cinnamon has continued to come to eat and meows as he misses his bff I am sure. But the last two days he has not come. It was raining a lot so that could account for 1 day. Wednesday was the last time I saw him on webcam.

I want to try letting Fred out for a bit to see how he will be but I would have to close the bedroom door. Also, this is a master bedroom with plenty of places to hide etc.There is no way to stop it or block them, too much clutter etc. after a family death. So I am worried if it all does not work out and he can’t adjust and becomes too aggressive with the cats or me, I am unsure of how to get him safely back outside.

I plan to leave the cage all set up and just open the carrier part which is what I always do when taming them and first letting them out because they usually see it as a safe place.

He likes the tuna cf and some cooked chicken but otherwise has not shown any interest in treats or the churu. Although he ate the churu 2-3 times when left on his plate.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So another update if anyone is interested 😀

Today for the first time Fred ate while I sat on the bed about 8 ft away. I will call that a milestone, He also did not hiss at me as I cleaned the cage etc. and just moved away to another area in the cage. Merlin and Zena were there and all had some treats and baby food a few times. I have figured out Fred has a soft spot for baby food😻 But he will not eat it from a spoon. I put it in a plate and then he will come to eat it when I am not close.

He was a bit quiet today and I was worried he may be sick but I think he is feeling a bit more relaxed although there were some snifflies maybe or it could have been his purr.

I opened the cage carrier part and opened it at one side, he did not even hiss at me or move to the box etc.

I had closed the bedroom door and locked out Merlin and Zena for now to let him get adjusted to the room on his own and so they won’t eat his dry food. They were all meowing, purring and chirruping to each other happily before and after when I checked on him and let them back in.

Fred did not come out of the cage at all though, and Merlin did not go in yet to try to eat the food. I am not sure what to do about the food. I have the bedroom door closed for now but I would like to somehow leave it open so Merlin can sleep near Fred as that calms him but I don’t want Quinn going in and maybe being aggressive or Zena eating the food etc. Any ideas?

I think it will be a while before Fred comes out of the cage. That is his safe spot now. I guess I could leave M there with him when we sleep but I don’t want to lock him in and I will have to set up another box and figure the food out. Also I don’t want Fred going in the house yet. We don’t have any doggy gates etc. and they would not fit with door either.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Fred is out now finally and behind a bed. Any ideas how to proceed now? He came out after I left the door closed for 1-2 hours. He was still in the cage the past 2 days and I had not tried to open it.

I plan to bring the boys in for another treat later but. I don’t think Fred will come out to eat while I am there. I think he does have something going on with his nose as he is breathing loudly on and off, but he is eating pooping/ peeing normally and seems ok overall. I haven't seen him walk around to assess his leg injury yet. I am worried about getting him back in the carrier now in case he has to go to the dvm. He is still hissing again at me on and off and running away etc. but he is friendly to the guys.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admittedly haven't read all your posts, but are you using any calming products?

What did you determine with the food?
I am using cat nip and he is on gaba, but today he would not eat it in the baby food for some reason.
When the boys go in the room with him I put his dry food and anything I don’t want them to eat up on the bookshelf where my acrobat Quinn can’t get it. And then I give them a little baby food and treats.

Last night what I did was I just took all of the food away except the water dish and I let Merlin stay with him overnight and I put an extra litter box in. Well really it was during the day because I was up all night working. When I got up Merlin was meowing to get out.

The hard part is if the baby food with medication etc. is on the floor, I just checked to see if he ate it and Zena who is a persistent little imp got in there somehow so I had to pick him and then Merlin up and put them out, they are so fast.

Fred was not behind the bed the first time so I had to search for him he was not under the dresser- he’s found a new hiding spot which is in the closet I had put his food and some baby food with the medication back when Merlin came out but he hasn’t touched any of it yet, maybe a little bit of the dry food.

So I took the dish of baby food with the GABA and put it near him in the closet, so far he’s not eating it though and he’s hiding again somewhere where I can’t find him.

Maybe he has gone further into the closet. The best way to find him is to let Quinn in there because Quinn immediately finds him and starts hissing and swatting at him.
So far Fed is going back to the trap to use his lb which is still there.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there has been more progress… Fred is back behind the bed but twice yesterday he came out to eat baby food with the guys minus Quinn. He came all the way up to near where I was sitting on the bed, but underneath a part that makes an underneath pathway which is mostly covered by a blanket.

He meows and chirps at the cats, sometimes I think he just wants to say hi because he ate some baby food and then left more but came to meow etc. He can come around on either side of the bed- I think once he came out from the opposite side that I was on and came all the way around under me maybe because a cord I had tucked under the mattress for the mattress pad fell out and I heard him scurrying around.
He let Merlin wash his head a bit, there was a bit of tension maybe, nothing major though. He even looked at me directly but I can tell he is still scared.

He and Merlin knew each other outside, Merlin was a newcomer and he never really fit in with the group although Cinnamon tried to play with him once while he was eating and Merlin took offense to that. So he was ostracized a bit after. Fred also knew Zena and had chased him off at times but now they seem to be friends.

He and Merlin were together again for a few hours while I slept and M used the box and had some sort of mushy poop though so I am worried it may be from the greenies treats or the baby food, or maybe just a bit of stress.

Fred came out to get his dry food at some point after I came in- I was putting it back but he ran back around the bed when he actually saw me doing it. I will check on him soon to give him his meds again in tuna cat food.

I hope to spend more time sitting/ talking with him later, I have been super busy and also need to rest a lot due to flare ups. But I think he is doing pretty well, no more limp from what I have seen and he is getting less scared over time.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have set up my yi cams again to monitor Fred and my downstairs litterboxes- he has been sitting on a cabinet by a window which used to have a cat shelf. he was worried about the cam when going to eat one one video and he waited but he is eating because all of the food was gone. He watches it. He is jumping up to the cabinet by the window so I think his paw/ leg is mostly healed now- there are no signs of any problems with his mobility now.

He is doing stuff but he quickly runs away back behind the bed if I come in. Is there a way to post some videos here on a post? I did one of a Quinn spin video somewhere and I have forgotten how I did it now.

Last edited: