Feral Colony Stops eating.

beachcomber11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat colony who I have been feeding for several years has stopped eating. They sniff and act like the want to eat, but don't. This has gone on for a week now. I suspect a virus or poisoning. Any suggestions from the Forum would be helpful.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you set up a trail camera to check to see what is going on? It does sound very suspicious. I hope you can figure it out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. I have never had any group of cats, iindoor pets or outside ferals, collectively stop eating.

I don't know which way to tell you is more important, virus or foul play, as each required a different approach. Probably you need to investigate both as best you can. If it is a virus, the sooner you get some medical help, the better so you don't want to get into a lengthy trail cam experience, but if you have suspicious people around or the colony is not in a place where you actually can watch it daily, you will need the camera.

Any other info?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beachcomber11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your good advice. I greatly appreciate it. I took the kitty that was the worse about not eating to the Vets a little while. Come to find out she has a bite and an absess on her little head. She is still at the Vets as I write this. The Vet said that the others in the colony sense a predator nearby so they are afraid to come eat. Yes, a camera would be very helpful in this situation to see what we are dealing with. Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Bite and abscess are from a non-cat predator? Definitely get the trail cam set up then since you have ruled out illness. Keep us posted.

beachcomber11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bite and abscess are from a non-cat predator? Definitely get the trail cam set up then since you have ruled out illness. Keep us posted.

Thank you very much for the info. I did not know that. The cat that received the bite is back home now from the Vets. Her abscess was drained, and she was given a strong antibiotic. Yes, we do need a camara to find out what kind of predator got her. Thank God it did not kill her.

Thanks so much for your help,
Sue

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you found out any more info? Have the cats started eating? Thanks for any update.

beachcomber11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks so much for your concern. We never did find out what attacked the cat that sustained the injuries. It must have happened away from the feeding area. We have noticed that every time this one stranger cat comes to eat with the colony, that some of the cats are very fearful of him and run off before finishing their meal. He may be part or all of the problem over there. It is a dilemma! We feel for this lone cat and want to help him, but if he scares of the original colony off, that's no good either.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I have ferals living on and around my deck. The newest addition moved into one of the deck shelters, then one of the older ones kept chasing him. He has moved downstairs to the shelter under the stairs, so I suspect this loner will just have the original cats run away when he comes to eat but they will stay in area with food and shelter. Good luck. Maybe he is not neutered and when he is he won't be so bullyish.

beachcomber11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Your advice was very helpful! This new stranger cat who is chasing away my regulars in the my colony is not neutered.
I am willing to get him fixed if it will help the situation. I hate to turn away any cat that is hungry and needs a home.

Thanks again for your reply and help,
Sue

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suspect when he is TNR'd the problem will resolve itself or at the very least be diminished. Please come back for update as I care how it turns out. Whenever I come back to this site after many months and read posts that the original poster leaves unfinished it's like I lost a book I was reading and will never know the ending. Thank you so much for your updates. Any solution you find will be helpful to others who read of your situation with similar issues..

beachcomber11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely get the stranger cat neutered as soon as I can. Anything to bring peace back to the colony. On a positive note, all the cats are eating again. I am like a police officer over at the colony. I have the original cats eating in one spot, and the stranger cat in another. When he loses interest in his food and starts heading towards the original cat's food, I herd him back to his area. I'm not going to let him chase the other cats away. Hopefully, having him neutered will take care of everything. I will let you all know what happens. Thanks for your concern.