Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to find out if this cat is a true feral

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually a true feral you won't see, they are very shy and skittish of humans. If you are offering food, they may come around more. They tend to be a little rougher looking: skinny, dirty, males have big cheeks if not neutered, may have ear tips if TNR, very slow to trust humans (if ever). Some who have been fed before will be a little less leery of humans but it tends to be situational (where they have been fed in the past or similar looking humans).

Most stray cats you will see will either be younger, lost pets, abandoned pets or kittens of former pets. They tend to be a little more comfortable with humans or see humans as a food source. They could be in rougher shape then a true feral as they usually have less skill surviving.

Outdoor pet cats or cats with outdoor access will tend to be healthier looking in general. They may have varying comfort levels with people.

Is there a particular situation you have a question about?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually a true feral you won't see, they are very shy and skittish of humans. If you are offering food, they may come around more. They tend to be a little rougher looking: skinny, dirty, males have big cheeks if not neutered, may have ear tips if TNR, very slow to trust humans (if ever). Some who have been fed before will be a little less leery of humans but it tends to be situational (where they have been fed in the past or similar looking humans).

Most stray cats you will see will either be younger, lost pets, abandoned pets or kittens of former pets. They tend to be a little more comfortable with humans or see humans as a food source. They could be in rougher shape then a true feral as they usually have less skill surviving.

Outdoor pet cats or cats with outdoor access will tend to be healthier looking in general. They may have varying comfort levels with people.

Is there a particular situation you have a question about?
This one is losing hair on his back and his skin is white. He lets me pet him, hold him. But he likes to spend a lot of time outdoors. I want him to become indoor only but I do not know what to fo

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he let's you pet and hold him, he's likely not feral. It may be as simple as taking him to a vet to get him checked and bringing him inside. The vet is to health check as well as check for a microchip. The missing fur makes me think there may be something that would need vet care. Most areas, you have to post found pet signs for at least two weeks and make a good faith effort to find the owner before you can claim an animal.

Do you have any photos?

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No nobody owns him one neighbor said that the guy on the next street kicked him out. He is ear tipped

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then start with a vet check. If he is microchipped, you would need to get permission from the person to take the cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some TNR programs do both.

But regardless, if he has bald patches there is a chance he is sick and needs vet care.

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some TNR programs do both.

But regardless, if he has bald patches there is a chance he is sick and needs vet care.
The thing is I am not working and have no money

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try reaching out to rescues in your area and see if any have the resources to help out. Otherwise, for now just keep feeding him and see if you can get him inside.

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does come in my house but does not like to stay in

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes the best you can do is offer food and shelter. I would encourage you to save money to see a vet. Hopefully the bare fur is from malnutrition and not something more serious.

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I pick him up he feels heavy and he is eating good. He like to come in the house for a little while. I adopted him now so I own him

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so upset right now my 3 year niece just kicked my cat. It is really bothering me. I want to cry