Feral Cats

Sapphire628

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 feral cats that I have been feeding for several months. As it is getting cold outside - we took my deck box to make them a winter shelter. My question is what wattage heat lamp can be used to keep them warm?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heat lamps can be very dangerous as they can easily catch on fire as well as burn a cat if they get too close. Years ago, I took a light bulb used for reptiles and put an old can around it. The cat was large somewhat like a paint can. I then poked holes all around it and painted it black so the heat from the bulb could get through the holes. The worked well for quite awhile. Yet the bulb was prone to burning out thus leaving my cats cold at night.

I then switched to a hound heater. I had both the classic and the newer one with a built in thermastat. It was amazing. Worked well for years and years.

Here are some ideas from my blog where I give some more details on shelters.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never used a heat lamp, but I am sure that someone has and will respond. Usually I have resorted to a variety of products, often from K and H Heated, Cooled Dog Cat & Pet Beds | Free Shipping | K&H Pet. However, you might be in a very cold place or not have a safe place to plug some in. Discs which heat in the microwave are good if you don't live where it is freezing.