Feral Cats

David Gross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for allowing me to join this group. A lot of information here which is awesome I feed 4 feral cats that live in a wooded area behind a Gas Station and Insurance store. Sometimes not all of them show up and sometimes all 4 show up. My question is the days they don't show up, what are they eating. I feel so bad and call for them for about 15 minutes. Also 1 time 1 of the cats did not show up for 11 days. How did she survive? Please advise. BTW they all have been TNVR.
Thanks,
David

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not an expert but feral cats hunt, check their territories, maybe get chased by a dog, --they live what are sometimes complicated lives.

If their body condition is decent then they're hunting successfully and are also possibly being fed by someone else :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

David Gross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm not an expert but feral cats hunt, check their territories, maybe get chased by a dog, --they live what are sometimes complicated lives.

If their body condition is decent then they're hunting successfully and are also possibly being fed by someone else :)
Oh cats. They do what they want. Who knows? Maybe there was a mouse population boom. Maybe they found a nice dumpster. It's hard not to worry about them but they mostly know what they're doing :D.
Thanks, appreciate it

David Gross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks for the response

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re great! Thank you for watching out for them! Cats love to hunt. I just read a study about cats that vanished for awhile. Outside cats can really roam! Even outdoor pet cats were found in a radius about 17 houses away and ferals can go further. If something scared them it’s not unusual for them to go a bit further away for a little while. Another good source can keep them away too. If there is extreme heat they may need a cooler spot or be searching new water sources. Streams, creeks and ditches that provide running water are very attractive to them. Just keep a steady routine for them. Cats do love a routine. Again, thank you for caring and being their guardian. I don’t know if you know this or if any rescue /adoption groups are near enough to help but even feral cats can be socialized for adoption. Some respond better than others but I was able to bring in an entire colony. It’s a lot of work and takes patience but it can be done. If there is one that grabs your heart there, chances are, you have their heart too. I know they are all grateful for the help and love you provide to them. :thanks::rock: We would love to hear regular updates about them.

David Gross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. All the responses puts my mind at ease. I do keep a regular schedule. I was very happy tonight, as I got off early. So I stopped by the area I feed them, and all 4 were there. I gave wet and dry food ,and left a bowl of water. It is very hot here, I live in West Palm Beach, FL. One of the kitty's let's me pet her, but if I try to pick her up, she fights to get down. (those claws hurt.) When I get out of the car she runs up to me and meows. I'm going to try and she if she's interested. I belong to a similar group, that actually does TNVR. So I will ask for some assistance. Thanks again for your response, I'll keep all updated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So very true! Lol The only way it for me was bringing them in!!:lol: Not all rescues work with socializing ferals but the one that runs up to you actually sounds more like a stray than a feral. She sounds like a very good candidate for socializing. Four is a pretty small colony by feral colony standards. They may all be displaced kitties. I’m glad they have each other and have you. If you need any info, I’m sure that TCS members will be very happy to help.