Feral Cats Dont Meow?

mike5361

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was feeding what i thought was a feral kitten. it took me 2 months to get him not scared of me. i first noticed him because i heard him meowing outside. today i read that feral cats dont meow? so i guess he was not a feral kitten after all?

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very true, I have one feral which I have been caring for since she was a kitten that is very vocal! (She is 3 yrs old now) Lola will always start meowing as soon as she sees my SUV. Mind you, I still can't get within a comfortable distance of 4 feet from her but she always greets me.

I also have random other ferals from time to time that will let out a little meow as if to say Hello. Not often, but it does happen.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are quick learners! it takes awhile, typically, but they do meow, especially for food. In my yard, I have a feral colony and they meow at each other, mostly to try to take over a food dish or a spot (they like to use the clippings bag on the lawnmower as a hammock, for instance). I hear a difference in the inflection, though: with me, there is a rise in the pitch at the end of the meow, as if asking. Also, the meow is more drawn out.
The ferals at the supermarket also meow like that. It is actually the older ones there who meow; the kittens are very stealth.
Of course, the only time I have ever touched those cats is when they are knocked out for neutering - otherwise, they run from me as if I was satan and ask for food from a very safe distance :hmmm: