Feral Cat

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last year I adopted two feral cats for mouse control. The female is fine, but the male Roger, wont leave the room he has been living in for almost a year. This is a room that runs all our pumps, for well and pool as well as electrical. The last two weeks he will not come down form a very high shelf. He poops and pees etc. up there. I set up a wide board for him to walk down, removed all hiding areas as well, just an open shelf now. He looks okay, fat good coloring on his nose. I think since he has been cooped up, his choice, and the way he is holding front paws curled against his chest, guessing his nails grown into his paws. How do you trim cats nails when feral. Any advise? I think I can catch him but not sure if there is way to protect your self from attacking to restrain to accomplish this. If not I will make an appointment to get him trimmed, but this will cause extreme mental harm doing this as he is feral. Just not sure how to protect me doing this with a wild cat if anyone else has had to do this. How did you do this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very thick Mexican blanket thinking for protection with my daughter helping me to hold him down, but is very scary. And use thick leather gloves and some type of face protection. I have to do something at this point. The vet are so backed up and could take several weeks to get him in.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get him you should talk to the vet about possible medication to calm him so there won’t be a trimming accident. A nail cut too short or you getting into a problem. I would make sure the vet understands the whole situation as you described it here. Including that his nails may be growing into his paws. If they have actually become ingrown, not sure if you can just trim them. I suggest catching him in a feral safe trap if he won’t allow you to pitch him up. If you see that you can trim him without any outside help, suit up! I use layers of clothes. Long sleeved shirt and big old puff style coat. I also use welders gloves. They go up the arm a bit but are sort of hard to use for delicate work so one person needs to do the holding and another do the trimming. I really think a vet check is best.
Fir future use, there are ways to start him down to being a bit less regal. Providing raised hiding spots that are lower than the rafters is how I would begin. Some cats are just more tree dwellers and some use ground cover to stay safe. If he will accept a , somewhat lower, cat cave/wood box shelter then you can gradually move it lower over time until he is more accessible. Spending time just letting him observe you while he feels safe will help. Maybe sitting with a book and reading or eating a meal out there and keeping him company so he sees you are not predatory will really help him. You can try some calming things too. There are products like Feliway that work for some. Catnip might be attractive to him. There is music that is specifically used to calm cats. Online you will find many types to try with him. Please do let us posted as you go. I’m sure others will have some ideas too. Thank you for being such a great and caring person! If you are a cat guardian, you are a kitty hero!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can get him you should talk to the vet about possible medication to calm him so there won’t be a trimming accident. A nail cut too short or you getting into a problem. I would make sure the vet understands the whole situation as you described it here. Including that his nails may be growing into his paws. If they have actually become ingrown, not sure if you can just trim them. I suggest catching him in a feral safe trap if he won’t allow you to pitch him up. If you see that you can trim him without any outside help, suit up! I use layers of clothes. Long sleeved shirt and big old puff style coat. I also use welders gloves. They go up the arm a bit but are sort of hard to use for delicate work so one person needs to do the holding and another do the trimming. I really think a vet check is best.
Fir future use, there are ways to start him down to being a bit less regal. Providing raised hiding spots that are lower than the rafters is how I would begin. Some cats are just more tree dwellers and some use ground cover to stay safe. If he will accept a , somewhat lower, cat cave/wood box shelter then you can gradually move it lower over time until he is more accessible. Spending time just letting him observe you while he feels safe will help. Maybe sitting with a book and reading or eating a meal out there and keeping him company so he sees you are not predatory will really help him. You can try some calming things too. There are products like Feliway that work for some. Catnip might be attractive to him. There is music that is specifically used to calm cats. Online you will find many types to try with him. Please do let us posted as you go. I’m sure others will have some ideas too. Thank you for being such a great and caring person! If you are a cat guardian, you are a kitty hero!
Thank you for responding. I was able to catch him, and put him a cage for a week in our family room. My dogs were not very nice though. My one dog loves cats and is protective but my daughters dog is not the same. I put him in our family room for a week, to get used to people and animals. When I replenished his food and water did attack me. I am using leather gloves. The change he became very attentive to me when I talk to him and he even started to meow to me, which is huge. He only hissed before. My husband told me he doesn't want the cat in the house at all. So I moved the cage outside to give him time to smell around and get the feel being outside. Which watching he was enjoying this. But again when he saw me he did meow again, which was so surprising. Anyway, I cleaned the outdoor building that is connected to our garage, that serves for our pool pump, electrical etc., he was in there for the first year and wouldn't leave thru the kitty door. I caught him in the dog cage which wasn't easy but put him in the room thru the kitty door. I went in to check how things are going and he hasn't yet gone up to the upper shelf that he hid in. Maybe he finally is using the kitty door, as I couldn't find him in the room but I didn't want to spook him either looking around. Hope all works out. A feral cat is so new for me.