Feral cat won’t eat, won’t poop

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
There’s a colony of about 20 cats in my backyard that i feed daily
There are many threats to them, like mosquitoes, rain, dogs, Texas heat, and maybe viruses that im probably not aware of. I have used pet friendly insecticide and set fly traps to deal with the flying insects and maintain a clean environment for them. But since my neighbor cut down my backyard trees that are technically his due to property lines, all my cats have moved to different places because of the sun. And i lost a black kitten this past Saturday unexpectedly, but she was a really frail underdeveloped kitten.. i did what i could to help her get socialized and spend nights in my garage with my other cats but it was too late.
So now i have this older, bigger kitten that’s about 8 months. I took him to get neutered last month, along with vaccinations for rabies, FVRCP, and FeLv. He was fine this past 2 weeks but since yesterday night, he’s been not eating and just now i saw him move around kinda slow, not wanting to play with his sister, and i saw him try to poop but nothing came out. Only 2 symptoms i saw so far but i wanna make sure i can help him out before it worsens. What could i do? Could he be constipated? No other cat is acting out of the normal and the mosquitoes have always been around but now it’s less than before. He’s afraid of me yet eats a lot, i feed them up to 4 times daily but i think that should stop

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Iff he does not poop today, then another trip to the vet is probably going to be necessary. I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this, but we don't want to risk a ruptured bowel, which will be painfully lethal. I am so sorry. However, he may, indeed, poop today. He does need to keep eating, but a smaller amount until the constipation is resolved.

Thank you for taking care of these babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Iff he does not poop today, then another trip to the vet is probably going to be necessary. I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this, but we don't want to risk a ruptured bowel, which will be painfully lethal. I am so sorry. However, he may, indeed, poop today. He does need to keep eating, but a smaller amount until the constipation is resolved.

Thank you for taking care of these babies.
He did eat yesterday morning but after that he wouldn't. I feed them wet and dry food mixed with water and lysine powder, but every now and then i see cat vomit here and there, usually there's a piece of grass in it. This isn't the first time i had a cat that wouldn't eat for a day or two, another older cat had this problem but she pooped liquid brown and then she came back to being normal and eating. Would giving him pumpkin help?

thank u

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am always hesitant to suggest pumpkin as it seems to work on both diarrhea and constipation, but I am never sure if there is a reason behind why it works both ways, and if there are certain conditions for either. A couple of olive oil drops might be a better option, as mentioned above - or even Miralax (1/8 tsp to start with). But, how are you going to get him to take any of these things if he is not eating? Will he eat some human canned tuna that is packaged in water perhaps?

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I worked in the veterinary field for over 2 yrs & now I take care of a colony of cats. I also have cats of my own & have raised neonate kittens since birth.i would try pumpkin, no additives-just pumpkin. If that doesn't work I'd try a little olive oil to see if he poops. I had the same experience with one of my cats & after $1200 at the vet & 2 enemas they said she was just blocked. She also had abnormal blood work which to me suggested kidney disease or stress. We hope it was just stress as she's only 4 years old.

She had gotten into a bag of dry food so that probably is what stopped her up. Have you been feeding your ferals water mixed I with their dry food? Are there any signs in the cats environment that suggest he may have eaten a linear foreign body (string, thread, rubber bands etc.)?

After much research & experience with many cats over the years I've stopped feeding my cats dry food. I only give them kibble that I mix 1:1 with water & that has made them regular & cut down on health problems. I highly recommend this video about cat nutrition if you haven't seen it:

I hope your kitty feels better soon!
Love & Light!
Tara

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
There’s a colony of about 20 cats in my backyard that i feed daily
There are many threats to them, like mosquitoes, rain, dogs, Texas heat, and maybe viruses that im probably not aware of. I have used pet friendly insecticide and set fly traps to deal with the flying insects and maintain a clean environment for them. But since my neighbor cut down my backyard trees that are technically his due to property lines, all my cats have moved to different places because of the sun. And i lost a black kitten this past Saturday unexpectedly, but she was a really frail underdeveloped kitten.. i did what i could to help her get socialized and spend nights in my garage with my other cats but it was too late.
So now i have this older, bigger kitten that’s about 8 months. I took him to get neutered last month, along with vaccinations for rabies, FVRCP, and FeLv. He was fine this past 2 weeks but since yesterday night, he’s been not eating and just now i saw him move around kinda slow, not wanting to play with his sister, and i saw him try to poop but nothing came out. Only 2 symptoms i saw so far but i wanna make sure i can help him out before it worsens. What could i do? Could he be constipated? No other cat is acting out of the normal and the mosquitoes have always been around but now it’s less than before. He’s afraid of me yet eats a lot, i feed them up to 4 times daily but i think that should stop
Hi! This video is also quite informative...

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I worked in the veterinary field for over 2 yrs & now I take care of a colony of cats. I also have cats of my own & have raised neonate kittens since birth.i would try pumpkin, no additives-just pumpkin. If that doesn't work I'd try a little olive oil to see if he poops. I had the same experience with one of my cats & after $1200 at the vet & 2 enemas they said she was just blocked. She also had abnormal blood work which to me suggested kidney disease or stress. We hope it was just stress as she's only 4 years old.

She had gotten into a bag of dry food so that probably is what stopped her up. Have you been feeding your ferals water mixed I with their dry food? Are there any signs in the cats environment that suggest he may have eaten a linear foreign body (string, thread, rubber bands etc.)?

After much research & experience with many cats over the years I've stopped feeding my cats dry food. I only give them kibble that I mix 1:1 with water & that has made them regular & cut down on health problems. I highly recommend this video about cat nutrition if you haven't seen it:

I hope your kitty feels better soon!
Love & Light!
Tara
He ate last night and a little more today, but he's still moving a little slow, not wanting to play. Plus the heat is really making my cats not want to come out of their limited areas of shade, ill probably post another thread asking for advice on providing shade and housing during the heat. And well these cats cover a large territory in my neighborhood so it's possible he could've ate something, but I don't think he'd desperately eat anything else. I just start worrying that it'd worsen, and i really feel that I should feed them different foods in a different manner, 21 outdoors and 3 indoor cats
Thank you for the videos and recommendations!!

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: the cat is back eating and acting normal again. I gave him time but i still don't know the reason behind him not wanting to eat.. I'll post another thread regarding these problems. Thank you guys so much

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the cat is back eating and acting normal again. I gave him time but i still don't know the reason behind him not wanting to eat.. I'll post another thread regarding these problems. Thank you guys so much
Excellent! My pleasure!

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goat milk is always a wonderful life saving resource in my experience, for kittens & cats of any age...it has been dismissed by the pet food industry & now they have their version of milk replacer with it but the mother milk goats milk by itself warmed on a stove slowly & not boiled, never microwaved, is literally a miracle. It contains probiotics, prebiotics, & is highly digestible for cats & kittens. I've seen kittens on death's door & cats on death's door that turn around with goat milk. The pasteurized kind is best for kittens in my experience. In defense of using goat milk for bottle feeding kittens

Love & Light!
✨❤✨