Feral cat under my home Help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok....maybe I wasn't clear.....I am not worried at all about the actual procedure. Zero Concern....My concern is the sheer terror he is going to experience prior to the actual surgery. I am the only Human on planet earth that he has ever allowed to interact with him.
If I have a visitor..he Immediately crawls on his belly and hides in Fear. If I try to pick him up and approach this stranger with him in my arms, He freaks out and will not hesitate to attack me to escape having to confront the stranger. The level of stress he will have to endure to receive the surgery is my 1 and Only Concern. That's it. No shot sounds much better.....Now I know what to insist on for his
anesthetic...Thank you. I would like to thank all of you for your thoughtful replies. I'm sorry I was not able to make my concerns Clearer.
(in my defense I did mention the terror he will experience in most all my replies) Once he unconscious my concern Ends.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some members have mentioned spraying the inside of a carrier with Feliway to help calm their cat. That's over-the-counter so you can buy it from Pet Smart or Chewys. Others mention giving their cats gabapentin, an anti-anxiety medication you must get from a vet before a trip to the vet or when traveling.

After all that is said - Cats are not taken for car rides like dogs, it is generally not something they enjoy. I had one cat who would get so upset in the car going to the vet that she would piss herself and vomit. They'd clean her up, do whatever we were there for, and I'd take this damp cat back home. Where she soon decompressed.

Cats live in "now," they don't anticipate. So yes, he will be upset. But it is you as Cat Daddy who knows why this is something that should be done for his better quality of life.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Concern....My concern is the sheer terror he is going to experience prior to the actual surger
Along with feliway, Only Natural Pet has an over the counter (no prescription required) spray product that works for my frightened cat (who hates the carrier, cars, vets) called Just Relax.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. Some are very nervous but I have some that we’re not that upset at all. They were totally feral and not used to any other humans. Some were not used to me yet either. Spraying the carrier with calming sprayis an excellent suggestion. Call ahead and explain your concerns. You may get some great advice or help from the vet there. I have often found that upon return from the procedure, the cat was very grateful to see me again and less nervous in the home environment as a result. There may be some pluses and minuses but bottom line is that the end result will keep him healthier, calmer, safer and closer to home. Huge benefits compared to one day of being scared.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All good suggestions Thank you. Problem is after being out of work for over 5 months now, there is no money to go purchase anything. It will be all I can do to come up with the money for the procedure without putting both of us in the street. Self employed 25 years means I don't qualify for any stimulus money etc. Did a test run in a car...he was fine with it....was quite the adventure for him. I know what to do now, thanks to all of you. Stay safe everyone.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
All good suggestions Thank you. Problem is after being out of work for over 5 months now, there is no money to go purchase anything. It will be all I can do to come up with the money for the procedure without putting both of us in the street. Self employed 25 years means I don't qualify for any stimulus money etc. Did a test run in a car...he was fine with it....was quite the adventure for him. I know what to do now, thanks to all of you. Stay safe everyone.

In his carrier- right? Please let us know how it goes.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has not been in the carrier yet....had run of interior during car ride. He had fun after a small amount of nervousness, getting used to car noises. I will use carrier when i take him into the Vet.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He has not been in the carrier yet....had run of interior during car ride. He had fun after a small amount of nervousness, getting used to car noises. I will use carrier when i take him into the Vet.

Yes please- he could spook at any little noise, jump out of the car, and then he is lost again. They are not like dogs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
there is no money to go purchase anything.
per Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 chamomile tea can be gently relaxing;

given internally via syringe. Buy a box of unblended chamomile tea from the grocery store. Brew a cup, and chill it. Administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to three times a day. If he's 11 pounds or more, give 1-3 tablespoonfuls. It is gently relaxing without being sedating. Doesn't work on every cat, but does on most. And FAR cheaper than prescription meds, so worth trying first, at any rate. DO use the store-bought tea bags, as they are ALL German Chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. English chamomile, which grows in a lot of gardens, is pretty useless, and toxic to cats.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you know how he reacts to the car you have overcome a big hurdle. He should be in a crate though as you don't want him wandering under the pedals or seats. Also he is safe in the event of a car accident. Even small dogs can be flung and hurt themselves if the impact is hard enough.

You may chose to cover the crate with a towel if he yowels.

Also line it with his bedding or a piece of your dirty laundry (socks and underwear are great for this if a shirt won't fit) smell is a good comfort to animals.