Feral cat/stray cat? NONSTOP trilling

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Dietary treatment of bladder stones
For Pet's Urinary Health, Water is the Best Preventive and Cure | PetMD
The 7 Best Cat Foods for Urinary Tract Health in 2022

Does a healthy food option exist for cats with bladder stones?

Thank you for posting those lovely pictures of Blueberry. He looked so happy and relieved to have a home and be safe. It is so clear that he knew that you loved him and he was able to leave this life in a peaceful and loving place. Veterinary bills can be hugely expensive, even if they do not result in any treatment or save the life of the animal.

It is good to hear that Lavender is settling down and relaxing at home. The movements of the last few days are what really disturbed him and he realizes that they are over now. Bladder stones can be treated with diet; while it is not a guarantee that it will work, it is a good first step. Wet food and water are key; I would avoid dry food. Would Lavender like a fountain? If Lavender is eating prescription food, that is definitely a good first step. Fiona herself had surgery for bladder stones; however, she would not eat any food which might have helped, so I am not discounting the value of a proper diet.

You certainly can try a dietary treatment for the stones. Wet food and water are big helps; I would try to avoid dry food. If you think that he would use a fountain, that might be a less expensive investment.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any insight on the kidney stones but wanted to thank you for all you are doing for these cats. Not many college students would pay that much attention to stray cats. It is easy to ignore the problem and expect someone else to deal with it and I applaud you for being pro-active. You and your roommate sound like wonderful, thoughtful people.

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
true ferals as normally completely silent. They are taught by their mothers that they are prey animals and that silence is one way to protect themselves. When they are brought inside, they often will start to vocalize with their owner, but their voices are often "off" from what a standard domesticated cat would sound like.
I am completely fascinated by this. Our three young ferals were all silent when they came inside (6 - 10 month range, we estimate). Zach Pizzazz was attached to a homeless encampment and he was body-language communicative when he was hungry (he would become suddenly affectionate at meal time). He will now meow as one other mode of communication -- but he's more comfortable using body language: weaving under your feet, sitting between me & the laptop I'm using, being suddenly very lovey-dovey.

All have developed some vocalizations the longer they have been inside, but they are . . . not what I am used to from cats.

Mindy St. Claire will meow, but just to her buddy, Zach Pizzazz, to demand that he come play with her or to come sit with her if she is bored -- same time each day -- she's a bit bossy, really. She trills when she gets brushed when we play "hair salon" which amuses me endlessly.

But Disco Janet's "meows" are . . . alien sounds. She rarely makes any sounds, but when she does, it is really hard to tell who or what made the sound. It's pretty funny -- and very few people who instantly recognize it as a "meow" from a cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I find this fascinating as well. Jamie, who was probably a feral kitten, was rescued by me at 4 weeks old, very sick, and he turned into a huge communicator. It is probably because his mom was either killed or abandoned him, so did not teach him those feral skills. My avatar and her sister became very vocal once inside at about a year old, but their voices are "off". Two of my indoor cats who were rescued years ago and adapted to indoor life have never made a single sound. Not ever.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, very interesting and something I never knew! I guess that explains Nico's vocalizations. My other cats adopted from shelters and totally acclimated meow as one would assume. But Nico never did. When we found him and brought him in, he was quiet. He did pur after a few months once he realized he was in a safe place and being cared for, but to this day his meow is more like ... A bark? Lol. It's a very punctuated loud "Meh!" If he does it all (mostly when he wants fed). Other wise he just runs through the house trilling at everyone lol, or purring when he's being lovey. ❤

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing Blueberry but at least he left this realm with a name and with love to light his way to the path on the other side.
I hope that Lavender passes the stones while they are still tiny. The previous advice about wet food and more water is very good. You might be able to get a good deal on a Baby Bullet blender at a thrift store so you can easily make a gruel of cat food & homemade beef or chicken broth. You can also ask your vet about using marshmallow root decoction (similar to tea but instead of steeping, you simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, cool, then use). The marshmallow root is soothing for mucus membranes and is considered helpful for bladder/kidney issues as well as for respiratory problems.