Feral cat spraying on friend's front door. What can I suggest to her as a repellant?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We live in the mountains of NE Pa and I have in the past tried a coyote urine spray which my ferals meandered across without batting an eye. I have deodorizers I can give her but really don't know what to suggest to stop the behavior. She has been caring for a feral who has just invited 2 friends for dinner. it is one of the new guests that is spraying.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Anything that would work for the spraying cat would keep the feral away that she has been feeding. She is going to have more feral cats coming by as they realize she is providing food. Any chance she would be interested in getting connected to a TNR program in her/your area? That would be the best option, not just for her but for the feral cats that are beginning to congregate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do TNR in my community and have done so for her 3 ferals, that is how we met. Scout is the last survivor. Will do TNR for these new ones as soon as able to get appt as I am sure they will stay around. Apparently the cat is spraying her front door and she feeds the cats in the back.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Skip all the predator urine. I went down that road with rats a few years ago and it was futile. Also skip devices that make sounds, especially the ones that only certain animals can hear. There are specific cat repellents which could be investigated to make sure they are safe to use, but I agree that it might deter the ferals she feeds. Their behavior is hard to predict even though the culprit is not spraying the door where they eat. If you want to try something, citrus is usually as effective; my personal cats hate it intensely if they even smell an orange up close. Very good that you are helping with the TNR of those cats.