Feral Cat Spay

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’ve posted before asking how to best trap and release a feral cat after a spay. So I did lots of research and was able to trap her this morning. Got her spayed and picked her up. She was extremely perky and biting the bars trying to get out. I had a large dog kennel set up in my garage with a litter pan, food, and water. Well, when I was transferring her to the kennel she managed to climb up my arm and squeeze out before I could shut the door and she took off outside. I feel terrible for not being able to protect her and i’m afraid that she could hurt herself because she’s not been given proper healing time. I’ve been so stressed out about it all and I feel like I’ve failed. I’m glad she’s spayed but now she’s outside after major surgery. Not sure what to do or if I can do anything??? 😞

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep an eye out for her and how her behavior is. If she appears to be "off" in any way and doesn't improve the next day or next time you see her you'll need to see about trapping her again. Otherwise, don't beat yourself up about it. She's out now and hopefully her physical condition is good enough that she can deal with it all.

Speaking of, try and have some good food out - even if others get it also, if she gets some that will help her :).

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lesson learned, a cat stuck in a trap and gone through spay surgery wants out, period, transferring is never a good idea. Been there myself and had a feral cat break right through a window.
Anyway, while its certainly something you want to avoid at all costs, cats who are trapped that are clearly nursing kittens are released right away. Not ideal but can't allow babies to starve and be open to predators.
The biggest reason is due to the meds making them clumsy and drowsy so vulnerable to predators and roads. Then there is possible bleeding which is uncommon but does happen, and lastly because it makes females smell like they're in heat and ready to mate which can cause big trouble for mama.
Good chance she will be fine but keep an eye out if possible
Big props for trapping and fixing! :agree:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happens. :alright: This is not the first or last time we will see this. Cats are really fast.
Can you keep the garage open just a bit for her? It is possible she might go in if she feels the need. A small opening with food and water inside could allow her access while preventing larger animals from getting in. Food is a great lure. I wouldn’t leave it down all the time but I assume you were feeding her in order to trap. Try the same routine you were using before. Either way, thanks for caring and doing the work to get all of this accomplished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye out for her and how her behavior is. If she appears to be "off" in any way and doesn't improve the next day or next time you see her you'll need to see about trapping her again. Otherwise, don't beat yourself up about it. She's out now and hopefully her physical condition is good enough that she can deal with it all.

Speaking of, try and have some good food out - even if others get it also, if she gets some that will help her :).
She finally came back late last night for food. She seems to be doing well! Thank you!!!

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would watch out for her and observe for anything that does not look right. This has happened to me over the years and everyone was fine in the long run.
She came back last night and ate. She seems to be doing well! Thank you!

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lesson learned, a cat stuck in a trap and gone through spay surgery wants out, period, transferring is never a good idea. Been there myself and had a feral cat break right through a window.
Anyway, while its certainly something you want to avoid at all costs, cats who are trapped that are clearly nursing kittens are released right away. Not ideal but can't allow babies to starve and be open to predators.
The biggest reason is due to the meds making them clumsy and drowsy so vulnerable to predators and roads. Then there is possible bleeding which is uncommon but does happen, and lastly because it makes females smell like they're in heat and ready to mate which can cause big trouble for mama.
She has come back to eat and appears to be doing good! Thank you!

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She came back to eat and appears to be doing well. Thank you!

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It happens. :alright: This is not the first or last time we will see this. Cats are really fast.
Can you keep the garage open just a bit for her? It is possible she might go in if she feels the need. A small opening with food and water inside could allow her access while preventing larger animals from getting in. Food is a great lure. I wouldn’t leave it down all the time but I assume you were feeding her in order to trap. Try the same routine you were using before. Either way, thanks for caring and doing the work to get all of this accomplished.
She came back for food and is doing well! Thank you!!!

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s very good news! I’m so glad. Thank you for sharing the happy return with us!
She is back to her normal self. She’s happy and healthy and now don’t have to worry about her getting pregnant again!