Feral cat socialization help

Duperous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a feral cat that is about just over a year old. He’s been with me about a month. He eats regularly, (although, never in front of me) uses the litter box no issues. I’ve read about getting them used to being touched, so I’ve been trying to with a wand toy (for some distance). He hisses quite a bit so I usually stop. Should I push him or just continue to stop once he starts hissing? He doesn’t lunge and hasn’t attacked me since he’s been with me. I don’t want to press him because he is such a timid, shy cat, but should I? Ugh hehe! Any advice would be appreciated!

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend a VERY large wand toy such as this: Cat Dancer Products Rainbow Cat Charmer
---

If that doesn't work possibly try an electronic mouse or something, but I find with shy cats they cant resit a very large stick toy like that. Playing is the best way to get feral cats to be more open to you - after they start playing you should place it closer to your foot or knee so they get used to being closer in proximity to you as well.. but that's AFTER you can get them to stop hissing.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see you’re pretty new here— glad to see you posted! This site has been such a lifesaver for
me over the years—- mentally, emotionally, informationally — you name it. I hope it can be the same support system for you!

To get some background so I can give better advice.....do you know rehis history? If he’s truly feral, with a history of very little/no human interaction whatsoever ...or if ——-/–/.. got Dr he’s a stray/dump? You say you’ve brought him in — does that mean you’ve brought him straight from outside to inside, 24/7? Did you spend time with him, working on trust & socialization when he was outside before guy brought gas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Duperous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see you’re pretty new here— glad to see you posted! This site has been such a lifesaver for
me over the years—- mentally, emotionally, informationally — you name it. I hope it can be the same support system for you!

To get some background so I can give better advice.....do you know rehis history? If he’s truly feral, with a history of very little/no human interaction whatsoever ...or if ——-/–/.. got Dr he’s a stray/dump? You say you’ve brought him in — does that mean you’ve brought him straight from outside to inside, 24/7? Did you spend time with him, working on trust & socialization when he was outside before guy brought gas
About a year ago, I started feeding these 3 kittens that lived outside my apartment building. He was one of them. This little guy (unlike the other two) has always been very careful with me or any human, he would never eat outside if I were still out there, the other kittens went crazy regardless of me being there or not hehe. We decided to trap them once we saw even more kittens. I can tell that when I’m not around he's all over the couches and like I said he eats well, but he stays in hiding most of the time I’m around.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m working with a feral female cat that I brought in on our porch last Octobe. I had been feeding her since last winter. i started putting food outside away from our entrance door and when I would check it later in the day the food was gone. I did see a couple of cats in our yard. There was one that seemed to hang around more, at least I saw her more. I was leaving food out at least twice a day. It got to a point she would be waiting for me in the mornings. She ended up having a litter of three kittens (another story, but those three have been added to my indoor cats). When I fed the mother I would sit outside with her and talk to her. She wouldn’t come close to me. Eventually I started leaving the food dish next to the porch door and then I started to leave the door open and leave the dish inside, each time I moved the dish more inside. I would go inside and peek out to see if she was inside eating. One day I decided to close the door behind her (back in October) and she’s been on the porch ever since. I was afraid if I let her out she wouldn’t come back in. The weather was starting to get chilly and I wanted to keep her safe/warm during the winter.
she would hide behind the chimney whenever we went on the porch. But she is slowly coming around. She’ll come and sniff my hand but then back off.
Someone on this site gave some pointers, one was to softly talk to her every time I go on the porch so she’s aware of me being there. Another pointer was to tape a toothbrush on the end of a long stick (I used a round curtain rod) and I would gradually pet her with it. I did it every time I went on the porch. She purrs when i
pet her, sometimes she turns her back to me and I’ve been able to pet her with my hand. When she realizes it’s my hand she’ll back away and put her paw up but has never had her clams out or hissed etc. She comes to me in the mornings to be fed. I’ve even used this technique with the toothbrush to give her some flea treatment, she might not have got the full dose but did get some on the back of her neck.
if I’m able to get her more confident I’d like to be able to bring her to the vet for a checkup and shots. (She was trapped and spayed last August and got a rabies shot). It takes awhile for cats to feel safe with humans so we need plenty of patience.

Theres a window on the porch that looks into our tv room and she loves lying on a perch I made for her and watches our indoor cats. She’ll sleep there too. When we go to the window she goes crazy, rubbing against the window as if she was actually being petted. But still a little timid to actually be petted. Lol

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry D Duperous - couldn't be more embarrassed! I obviously fell asleep mid-answer. And to top it off looks like I rolled over on my phone and added gibberish before I must have somehow rolled onto the "Post" button. 😲 😴

I'll get back on shortly, soon as I'm done w/a work thing. And promise to stay awake this time.