Feral cat socialization before winter

Bugssy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been caring for two stray cats since I found them living under my deck in March. One has been neutered and litter box trained and is completely socialized to humans. The other is not. It took him months to get comfortable coming within 10 ft to get food and he no longer runs on sight when he sees me. I’ve also got him to play with a wand toy on a regular basis and he comes within 1-2 feet of me. Right now the socialized cat sleeps in the house at night and the feral cat sleeps in an enclosed mud room (but I have to keep the doors open). The feral will run on sight if I come into the mud room because he feels cornered. It’s almost winter and it will get very cold.

Would it be a mistake to trap him in a carrier and let him live in a small room in my house to try to speed along his socialization? I worry he will lose all trust he was built up over the past months and well have to start all over. I also think he may be past the socialization window and he may never be comfortable around humans.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have done the trap and assign to a small room many times with adult cats. Brace yourself, because at first he is not going to take a look around and be thankful that he is inside but he might come around over time. I do believe that older cats can be socialized enough to live inside but there are exceptions and you don't know for sure who you might have until you give it a try. At the least, he might be more comfortable with you and your house, since he does come into the mud room and sleep, and that would give him more shelter in the winter.

If you have a room in which he cannot permanently hide under a bed, it helps. He should have a shelter in the room along with litter box and his food and water located away from the litter box. Some cats like their food and water to be separated as well, if you have the room.

If you can trap him, it would be good to get him fixed right away if you can, as it will help with the huge desire to get out and wander. Is he at all friends with the socialized cat? Given that he plays with the wand and he comes closer now, I don't see this cat as a true feral as the wild feral does not do any of those things. You said he was "stray" and you might be right about that and it is a huge difference.

This can be a little bit of a project but I have never had to turn an adult cat back outside at the end of the process; in fact, I have rescued more adults than kittens. Some cats surprise you; he might decide that things are much better than he imagined and be happy to lead an indoor life. He seems to have potential to be socialized. It is very kind of you to help these two in the winter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bugssy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks that is helpful. He is friends with the other stray. I’ve got a few weeks before there’s snow on the ground so I think I will try to catch him and let him spend a few days in a small room.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks that is helpful. He is friends with the other stray. I’ve got a few weeks before there’s snow on the ground so I think I will try to catch him and let him spend a few days in a small room.
Are you able to TNR and put up a shelter outside?