Feral Cat Situation Deteriorating, New Hssing

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a thread about a feral cat/kitten that I've been trying to socialize but I wanted to post a new one, in hopes that I may get some novel responses-not, that I don't appreciate all the responses I've gotten already but I am really stuck, at this point.
I have had a feral male 5-6month old in my garage for about a month. For the past couple of weeks, he's been in a large dog crate because I couldn't keep track of him roaming loose in the garage. In fact, I never saw him.
I've already mentioned that I really don't have any other place for him in my house. I also mentioned that I was gong to be trapping his litter mates. My intention was to try to socialize them and get them adopted. The vet who saw this male, seemed to think he'd be a good candidate for socialization but he isn't progressing at all. Today, I had to stick my arm in to ix his blankets and he hissed at me. He won't look at me or acknowledge me in any other way. This was the first time he hissed at me. Instead of getting better, things are getting worse. I'm a little fearful now that he may be getting angry that he's stuck in the crate and could become aggressive.
I sit in there with him every day. I read to him and talk to him. I'm not getting through to him at all. I try to leave a treat each time I go in to see him. I've tried toys but he's not interested.
If I try releasing him now, he's used to having a warm spot to sleep in and feedings twice a day. I don't own this house, so I cannot leave the garage open, even a little, to provide food and shelter for him. I'm really in a bad spot and I have no idea what to do.
I've tried contacting rescues and vet offices to see if anybody might want a barn cat. There is no assistance. I read about a feral cat ranch in MO. I tried calling but nobody got back to me. If they'd take him and his litter mates, I'd find a way to get them there.
If I end up releasing them all, there is a very good chance they will be picked up by AC and euthanized. I was told that cats are too smart be trapped twice but that is not the case. I had to re-trap this cat in my garage and all it took was some food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For socializing, you need to find a space in your home where he is exposed to constant traffic. Under a table, in the corner, somewhere he is constantly being exposed to the sounds and activity of a normal household. In the times that the house is quiet a TV or radio should be left on. It sounds like he has accepted the crate as his defined territory and is defending it. Which is really counter productive at this point.

I would move him into whatever space you can find and work around his crate being in that spot for the next few months. Do not leave food in the crate for prolonged periods of time. When it comes to feeding he needs to firmly associate the human and food element. So put the food in the crate, leave the door slightly open (in a way you can close it quickly if needed, and settle in. Don't leave until after he has eaten. Also try offering wet food by long spoon or the tubes of fish pudding by hand.

Once he is comfortable eating and has no hesitation you need to get him used to hands and humans in general. Start by just petting or touching with a long stick while eating until you can pet with your hand. Once that is good you would need to start getting him out of the crate. Try moving him into an area where it is somewhat confined space but bigger, like a bathroom. Once he seems more relaxed in that space keep increasing his space.

I agree, that between his age and the time he isn't a good one to be released again. It is somewhat true that most cats learn from experience of being trapped but not all. It is also true that once used to feeding he would have trouble with finding food. To that end, if you can't socialize him get him neutered and ear tipped then release in your yard. You would want to continue feeding him in your yard so that he can survive though. The ear tip should indicate to local animal groups that he is a neutered feral and keep him from getting picked up (my area, if an ear tipped cat is caught the trap is opened and they are released. It is more money for the city to transport and put them to sleep then just let them go right where they were caught.)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try my advice of petting him with a long handled duster or backscratcher? It has worked for me and others here. I'll try to find the post of the other girl who had great success using a backscratcher. She even posted a video.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you are afraid of the cat, please give him to someone who isn't.
he senses your fear n you can do nothing under those conditions.
by now, anybody else would be able to pick him up.
my feral let me touch her in weeks of feeding her outside.
that;s because i'm not afraid of a few scratches or bites.
this is no fault of the kitty.
this is your problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I could give him to somebody, I would. I have stated several times that there is absolutely nobody to take him.
I just read an article from Best Friends and they suggrsted wearing heavy gloves to tey the stick petting exercise. I have to try that
Normally, I throw the entire litter liner away. Tinight, I scooped the litter, which obviously required me to open the crate. While it was open and I was scooping, I talked but didn’t look at the cat. When i was finished, I looked up and he was as far back in the crate as he could get. Being a more dog-oriented person, I thought that after feeding him and showing him that I wasn’t going to hirt him, would start to break the ice. That is not the case.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I picked up my kitten from TNR spay at the shelter, I took her back to my office. She cowered at the back of the dog kennel. She was 4 months old. I reached in a brought her out. She purred for a second or two before struggling to get down so I put her back in the crate.

You need to try to touch the cat, even if you need to use a stick with a soft sock wrapped around the end. He has gone more than a month without you touching him, and it seems he may be getting more afraid of humans rather than less.

If you do not know anyone who can help you, how do you plan to find an adopter for him after you have successfully socialized him? You can't just raise a cat in your garage for the next 20 years and not make progress. You need a good plan, and you're going to have to find someone to help.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just my two cents from my own experience. When I first found one of my cats he was also feral, or at least semi-feral. He did not bond with anyone, nor had any interest in people. I second Kieka's advice. It if crucial for the kitten to be exposed to constant normal household noises and people. I'm afraid that the garage is much too isolated for the kitten to be socialized. Even a bathroom would be better suited so that the kitty can at least get used to the sounds of people.

I also had no experience with cats before my own cat. They are not at all like socializing a dog. It takes time and constant exposure to people, sounds, and smells of a household, and probably a few bites and scratches as well, but is well worth it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feral didn't warm up to me until I touched him with the duster. Sure, wear gloves if it makes you feel safer. I didn't because the duster had a really long handle. Here's the thread of the girl that used a back scratcher to pet her feral. Watch the videos.
Adopting/socializing Adult Semi-feral

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm picking up a pair of welding gloves today, so that I can start the touch exercises. This morning i put his food down and waited in the room. He didn't eat. So, I picked it up and took it away. A few hours later, I brought it back and after a couple of minutes, he did eat, while I was in the room. He didn't finish, so I picked the rest up and I'll bring it back in shortly. While he was eating, I talked to him but he definitely seemed unsure. He was looking at me to see what I was going to do. I didn't stare at him. I have only the area between the toilet and the vanity to fit a crate. That's 23"W and 46" deep. There is also a small shower stall but that would be way too small for a crate. I have to find a crate that's big enough for a litter box but will fit in that small space. Otherwise, I have to figure out how to put gates up to the top of the door frame, that will allow me in and out.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s a slider. IT locks from the inside. My cats know how to open this kind of door. If he did open the door, he’s end up in the laundry room and he could hide behind the washer or dryer. Since the powder room is onyl accessible through the laundry room, he isn’t going to hear or see much with the door closed.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got it. I do think bringing the kitten out of the garage into the house is a good step forward.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did the touch exercise a couple of times today. He hasn't attacked me or the pole yet. He held out for some time before eating. While he does eat, he keeps an eye on what I'm doing. When he's done, he heads straight to the back of the crate. I'm getting a complex myself. I can tell by the way he looks at me that he doesn't trust me at all.
If I can figure out how to arrange the powder room, I still have the problem of getting him in there. Someone suggestd getting him into a coverd carrier. I can try that but I don't see him wandering in, especiall in my presence, unless I put his food in there. I don't think that will do much for his trust issues though, tricking him into a carrier.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the touch exercise a couple of times today. He hasn't attacked me or the pole yet.
He may not ever attack you. The vet said he was not at all aggressive, only afraid, right? I would interpret that to mean that the cat has good bite inhibition and is not likely to lash out with his claws. The vet had to have handled the kitten to make that assessment.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His eyes were wide, so I hink he was kind if having a panic reaction but since I was at the front of the crate holding the stick, I guess he just stayed put and endured. I did it 3 times today. The fact that he is still retreating to the back of the crate and kind of hiding his face behind the bed, is not good. I have a small bed in there. He wouldn’t go near it until a few days ago. Now, he likes it, probably because he feels safe behind the bolsters. I didn’t realize the bed was a no-no when i put it in and it does keep him warm, so I don’t want to take it from him now.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course he should have a cat bed or soft blankets to sleep on. Were you able to stroke him with the stick several times, like petting?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. However, as I mentioned in the last reply, I think he’s just too afraid to react. I have been feeding him for weeks but he still looks at me with fright in his eyes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of pole did you use to pet him? Did you put something soft on the end, like a sock? Another thing that helped when I was taming my ferals was I used the same words all the time. I would feed them on a schedule and say "Demi dinner". Talking to them really helps, using their name and words like Dinner and Treat. Have you tried playing with him yet with one of those toys on a pole? Catnip is another thing you could try or catnip toys.