Feral cat shelter

Lorena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My name is Lorena and I am new to this forum. I would appreciate some advice about a shelter I had built for a feral cat family. I'll start from the beginning. About two years ago I found a family of five cats living in a private empty lot on my mother's street. This is a huge fenced lot that is guarded 24 hours a day by a security guard from a private company hired by the lot's owner. I became friends with the guard, who took care of the pregnant cat and later of her four kittens (this is why I know it's a family). I have been feeding the cats since that time and I have also TNR'd all of them. Problems began when the pandemic struck. The guard was sent home due to his age and the company began changing guards every other day. Some have been kind, while others have stolen the cat food I bring them every week. Please note than I live in Mexico City. After a couple of weeks, the security company finally left the same two guards in 24 hr shifts. Both of them loved the cats and offered to build a shelter for them. I bought all the materials and they built it in a few weeks. It was amazing, the cats seldom left it. Every time I visited they were inside. They used it during the day and at night. About three weeks ago, during the night, the guard heard strange noises. When he opened the door of his cabin, he saw two dogs running away from where the shelter is located. Immediately after, the cats came running out of the shelter in sheer panic. Fortunately, none of them were hurt by the dogs. Since then, the cats refuse to enter the shelter :( The dogs keep coming back, but the guard put up a fence so they can no longer go into the area where the cats live. I don't know where they come from, but I do know that they use a gap in the fence to exit to the street, where they look for food. I have blocked this gap and another one I found. I can't know if there are any more gaps because the lot is huge. I decided to move the shelter and placed it on two metal barrels so it would be high (see picture), hoping that the cats would feel safer. I have sprinkled it with catnip, sprayed it with Feliway, placed food, but nothing works. They are now sleeping on tree branches. It is very cold at night, but still they won't use it. I would be very thankful for any suggestions on how to make them use it again. And sorry for such a long post, but I don't know what to do. Thank you and have a nice weekend. Shelter.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago at work, we had a feral colony in the parking lot with the blessings of the administrators and other employees. However, eventually stray dogs came and killed some of the cats. We were sure about this because the people who lived directly next to the parking lot saw the attack and removed the deceased cats. We decided to clear out the colony and found homes for the cats which may not be possible for you and may not work depending on the cats' personalities.

It is a lovely shelter and good to read that you have had some support with taking care of the cats. Did the dogs come for the cat food? We also had that happen and a very sweet dog was rescued that way. I just wondered if food was the attractant for the dogs.

Are the metal barrels really solidly placed? I also wondered if the position might be affecting the cats. Of course, with cats often something is strange they are done with it and they are easily spooked. I see food dishes....are the cats jumping up to eat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lorena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fionasmom,

Thank you so much. Three out of the five cats might be friendly enough to find them homes, but not the other two. However, in Mexico there is no culture around feral cats. Nobody knows what TNR is or that a tipped ear means the cat is neutered. People wouldn't know that they require a lot of patience. While things are starting to change and people are beginning to adopt pets from shelters, there is still a long way to go. Furthermore, nobody wants adult cats. I would gladly bring them home, but my own cat is shy and fearful of almost anything. It wouldn't be fair to him. I am actively seeking to sell my house and buying one with a backyard or garden. But this is not a simple process either.

The dogs didn't come for the food. The cats are fed dry food twice a day at specific times in individual dishes. The dishes are not left out in the open, the guards keep them inside their cabin. I bring them wet food once a week as a treat, and I clean up after they finish. They also hunt. Except for the area where the guards and cats live, the lot is virtually a forest.

The shelter is very firmly placed. It doesn't move or shake in the least. There are not many places where I can place it. The area is small and the ground is very uneven. The dishes you see on the shelter were placed by me to encourage them to jump and explore the new location. But it didn't work. In my next visit I will place dishes with wet food to see if they jump to eat. But that would be the last thing I could do. I can´t think of anything else.

I understand when you say that they get easily spooked, but do you think there is a chance they could regain confidence?

I'm very sorry about your cats in the parking lot. It is so sad. I'm very glad you could find homes for the rest of them. The picture shows where the shelter used to be. It got much more sun than where it is now placed.

Feeding cats.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When I said that we found homes for the surviving cats, I did mean that various employees including myself took them home. I realize how hard it is to find homes for animals, especially feral cats. You are really trying very hard to help them and all I can add is to possibly test if they will enter the shelter if you put some very tasty food up there which would appeal to cats like a fried chicken snack. That is often used for feral cats who need to be trapped around here. Of course, you don't want to get into some pickiness with eating either but it might show you how afraid they are or "show" them that the shelter is safe. Is the shelter built in such a way that a predator cannot get inside it if it were placed on the ground again? You certainly know best if the cats are safe or not depending on the location of the shelter. Yes, I think that they might return to it over time, especially if the dogs do not return, which may not be under your control.

It is not as if you took the shelter away from them so they have the option of returning to it once their fears subside.

You have done a great job feeding and housing these cats and with any feral, even friendly ones, a certain amount is out of human control. This was three weeks ago, which for cats is not a long time once they have something in their head that is not right. They may regain their courage over time.

I have ferals who are TNRed who have food and shelter in my back yard, which is quite safe for them. They do come regularly for food, two can be petted. One used the heated bed a few times and now no one uses it....go figure with cats. I hope that yours do return to their lovely home though and that you have luck selling your house which is quite hard right now I know

Lorena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only an animal their size can fit through the "windows", and high as it is now, the dogs can't reach it. But, of course, the cats don't know that. I will use different kinds of food to encourage them to go inside. I will also leave it where it is now for a few weeks, and if they don't use it, I will return it to its original spot.

You are absolutely right, cats are strange beings. I can't believe they won't use the heated pad in this terrible weather.

I thank you again for your help. Talking with with has very helpful and encouraging. I will keep you posted.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is good that they are safe in the shelter...good planning on your part and on the part of the men who built it. I do think that this comes down to the mindset of the cats and their fear at the dog attack. This is more or less under out of your control...you have not taken away their shelter and it is their "choice" to sit in the trees.

I did notice today that a possum who apparently appreciates the heated bed has used it and I do not think that is the deterrent for the cats as I have seen them sit and eat right next to possums.

Please do keep me posted. My husband was born in Zacatecas and while we do not go to Mexico much now with all the chaos in the world, I do understand that these cats are not going to be instantly adopted by anyone. You are very kind to do what you have for them.

Lorena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Zacatecas is a beautiful state. Have you ever been?

I visited the cats yesterday. I washed their dishes and water fountain. I was a little worried that the food container was not even half empty, since I left it completely full last Wednesday. I am trying hard to convince the guards to feed them 3 times during winter because I read that they need more energy in this time of year. However, they tell me this would make them fat and it would be more difficult for them to climb or run away in a dangerous situation. It's exhausting having to deal with these people, you know? And I feel that I shouldn't contradict them for the cat's sake. I keep them happy by giving them a weekly tip and providing them with drinking water because there is none at the lot. They are trying to help lure the cats back into the shelter, but have not been successful.

The good news is that they haven't seen the dogs since we fixed the gaps in the fence. If they don't come back, I think I'll follow your suggestion of placing the shelter back in its original spot, where it gets more sun.

I will be visiting today again. I am bringing them some wet food. I love them so much. It breaks my heart to know that they are cold at nights. As you say, I try to convince myself that some situations are out of my control, but I constantly feel there is more that I can do for them.

At least someone is using your heated bed (lol). There was a possum on the lot for a few days. I read that cats don't mind them and that they are not aggressive towards them. He left because I asked the guards to clean any kibble left on the ground. Apparently, that's why it was coming up to the where the cats live.

So today I will place the wet food on the shelter to see if they climb up to get it. I will let you know.

Thank you very much for caring :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you cut an exit hole on the back side of the house, they'll feel a lot more secure. Cats like to have an escape route. Ask if the guards can do that, and hopefully that will help the kitties trust their house again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree about the exit hole in the back if that is possible.

You are doing the right thing with the guards....if they are helpful you want them to remain helpful. If the dogs are gone, or if the cats realize that they cannot enter the premises, they may go back to their shelter.

Example: this morning when I got up at 5, one of the ferals was on a lawn chair on the back patio. She sleeps there. Next to her is the chair with the heated pad and blanket which she has used in a past, and which I keep clean for her. Why she was not on the nice bed, who knows? The back part of the property is completely safe, so this is not an issue of fear, but of cats doing what cats do. I found her boyfriend on the front lawn this morning on the damp grass. He was absolutely fine, just laying there looking at the street....again, go figure. I think that some of what is going on with your cats is cats being the way they are and is certainly not made better or worse by you. They might want the shelter where it was but you were right to move it until you know it is safe.

Mexico is a beautiful country; we have not travelled as much recently but used to go there frequently.

Lorena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both. For now, I can't make a door at the back because the shelter is placed against a fence, so they wouldn't be able to escape from the back. I thought that with the two doors at the front, they could use one of them to escape in case of danger, but this was not effective. I will definitely follow you advice. Since the dogs haven't returned for a few weeks, I think I will put the shelter back in its original place, cover one of the front doors and make a door at the back. This is the best solution. We have been placing their food on the shelter and they do climb to eat, but do not stay there or use it to sleep in. I will be visiting them today, and will propose this solution to the guard.

Thank you very much for your advice.

gatos2.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted. You are doing as much as you can for these cats and they are very lucky.