Feral cat I want to rescue

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your vet may not give you a tranquilizer if Georgee is out of doors, as you don't know where he might decide to lie down. Definitely call though and see what your vet can do for you. Use of them indoors is very standard for vet visits and the like.

Are you going to try to use a humane trap or to lure him into a carrier and shut the door?

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you thank you
Di and Bob, you would recommend keeping a feral cat in the home after vetting? Will the feral kitty ever come around and be an affectionate cat under these terms? I'm asking because I am also trying to tame and adopt two feral cats. I am scheduled to trap them both next week for vetting. Would you recommend just keeping a cat in a room before he is human-friendly?

Thanks so much,
Erin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have to tell you all this web site is a real blessing for me. Your all so knowledgeable and kind. Have read posts and replies and was helped even then.

I will let my vet decide Since I last posted I been able to see marks between hair that look like scars. Of course that could be from getting hit by a car but I’m very concerned he’s in pain as he doesn’t groom himself well. Not going to go into details but I happened to notice him napping with his fellow cats at my neighbors house and wondered if my rescuing him was going to make him happy.

a bit later he came to me waiting at the door so I fed him and as he was eating a fly touched his back and he ran off It’s happened once before

anyways I read a reply to someone concerning the rescue noticing something outside the window and she wondered the same I needed to read that reply I know he might be in pain, he had ear mites and he’s afraid all the time There’s a bully who tries to get him My plan is to rescue him more than ever.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When you bring him inside, he will need to adjust. At first he may ask to go back outside, but that does not mean that you have to let him. Every cat I have ever adopted has been a feral or stray, with ferals far outnumbering the strays. This boy already has a relationship with you and meows at you, so he trusts you on some level. Given his condition and his life outside, you may find that once he figures out what living in a house means, he will not want to go out again. In my experience, the worse that their outdoor life has been, the more that they adjust to being indoors.

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you bring him inside, he will need to adjust. At first he may ask to go back outside, but that does not mean that you have to let him. Every cat I have ever adopted has been a feral or stray, with ferals far outnumbering the strays. This boy already has a relationship with you and meows at you, so he trusts you on some level. Given his condition and his life outside, you may find that once he figures out what living in a house means, he will not want to go out again. In my experience, the worse that their outdoor life has been, the more that they adjust to being indoors.
Thank you for this as I will re-read in the days ahead if he seems to want back outside.

one day he came to my door with a limp and seemed distressed and the amazing thing he went to my door as if wanting to go in I was so surprised but I already set his food down and the moment was gone I am considering just opening my storm door and setting it at open and my other door and invite him in with a bit of mackerel

Do you think it would work?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It could. I once found a male stray/feral who cried at my door. This continued for a while, although I offered him food along with the other ferals. When I decided that he needed to come in, he just walked in. Expect some anxiety as you shut the door if you do this, but it will wane as he sees that things are better inside.

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could. I once found a male stray/feral who cried at my door. This continued for a while, although I offered him food along with the other ferals. When I decided that he needed to come in, he just walked in. Expect some anxiety as you shut the door if you do this, but it will wane as he sees that things are better inside.
Oh I pray it works! One more thing he does have a harem over there She has mostly female Ferals around