Feral cat I want to rescue

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There’s a male cat that I want to rescue I’ve named him Georgee Think he’s an orange tabby
My neighbor has several feral cats around when I noticed him she said he was hit by a car and she thought he was dead but he survived with a slight limp Well that got to my heart but later he was standing in my yard just staring at me I immediately got him doom food now he comes 3 times a day but he won’t let me pet him Also he’s begun meowing at me Am I doing things right to somehow get him to like me How long should I wait My plan was to get him in a carrier and take him to the vet and bring him inside Please advise he’s still skittish and he always goes back to the group of cats

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See if you can borrow a live trap. Perhaps check on a community Facebook group or your local Buy Nothing group. You can also try contacting a local Trap-Neuter-Return program for help.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Bless you for wanting to rescue this gentleman. I agree with A Alldara 's advice. When we trapped the feral cats that showed up at our house (long story) we had the assistance of a local rescue who set out traps. I was amazed. The first cat I caught was the wildest. His name is Big Red. We still can't touch him, but he stays very close to home. They do go a bit crazy in the cage, of course. A sheet draped over the top helped to calm them. I'm just mentioning this to let you know my personal experience, not to scare you from doing it. I was amazed and happy at my cat-trapping ability. Those we were not able to keep were homed after being spayed/neutered and having their shots. (We had help from the rescue, which made it financially possible, given the number of cats that were here.) Please keep us posted. Georgee is fortunate to have you in his life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See if you can borrow a live trap. Perhaps check on a community Facebook group or your local Buy Nothing group. You can also try contacting a local Trap-Neuter-Return program for help.
Oh thank you I need all the information and advice I can get!

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Bless you for wanting to rescue this gentleman. I agree with A Alldara 's advice. When we trapped the feral cats that showed up at our house (long story) we had the assistance of a local rescue who set out traps. I was amazed. The first cat I caught was the wildest. His name is Big Red. We still can't touch him, but he stays very close to home. They do go a bit crazy in the cage, of course. A sheet draped over the top helped to calm them. I'm just mentioning this to let you know my personal experience, not to scare you from doing it. I was amazed and happy at my cat-trapping ability. Those we were not able to keep were homed after being spayed/neutered and having their shots. (We had help from the rescue, which made it financially possible, given the number of cats that were here.) Please keep us posted. Georgee is fortunate to have you in his life!
Never falling in love with a cat before but there is just something about him One day he missed two meals and I found myself heartsick Tried to tell myself it’s ok I can always get a kitten that’s not feral but I couldn’t shake the feeling of sadness
Then low and behold he arrived for dinner and as a treat for me he meowed I was so thrilled
So I’m sunk hook line and sinker

appreciate this forum I will definitely keep posting about Georgee and especially the day I can get him Oh a vet tech said he will hate me when I do
She really meant mad right 😐

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are just so scared in the trap. Have a blanket ready to cover it and he will calm right down. I have been trapping my outside cats for two years now, and finally got the last one done. google how to trap a cat, and ask at this site, that is what I did. It will definitely take him a while to get used to being inside, but it is well worth it. I have had nothing but heartache by having outside cats. There are just too many dangers out there. you will have to have a room set up for him and it will take at least two weeks before he will even start to get used to being inside. He will hide a lot, (make sure he has a place to do so) just make sure he has food and water and a litter box to use at night when he will most likely venture out. The most important thing of all, have him neutered! He will be much calmer and will be a much happier cat. Bless you for helping him!

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this info As a prospective new mom I want to get it right and not cause him anymore trauma
My plans are to get him in a carrier (trying to relax him first) go to the vet for vaccinations and spaying
Return home to a bedroom (made for a baby) with litter box fresh litter litter catch mar Scratching pole some toys and I’m thinking a bed

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love this forum cause you guys are so helpful and love cats read some posts and was saddened and amazed at the situations

one more thing he always goes back to the community next door didn’t notice so much but now I’m thinking I’m jealous (😮 He even tries to make sure the others don’t see him Hmmm it’s like I’m the undercover girlfriend

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There’s a male cat that I want to rescue I’ve named him Georgee Think he’s an orange tabby
My neighbor has several feral cats around when I noticed him she said he was hit by a car and she thought he was dead but he survived with a slight limp Well that got to my heart but later he was standing in my yard just staring at me I immediately got him doom food now he comes 3 times a day but he won’t let me pet him Also he’s begun meowing at me Am I doing things right to somehow get him to like me How long should I wait My plan was to get him in a carrier and take him to the vet and bring him inside Please advise he’s still skittish and he always goes back to the group of cats

They are just so scared in the trap. Have a blanket ready to cover it and he will calm right down. I have been trapping my outside cats for two years now, and finally got the last one done. google how to trap a cat, and ask at this site, that is what I did. It will definitely take him a while to get used to being inside, but it is well worth it. I have had nothing but heartache by having outside cats. There are just too many dangers out there. you will have to have a room set up for him and it will take at least two weeks before he will even start to get used to being inside. He will hide a lot, (make sure he has a place to do so) just make sure he has food and water and a litter box to use at night when he will most likely venture out. The most important thing of all, have him neutered! He will be much calmer and will be a much happier cat. Bless you for helping him!
Thank you thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I’ll start again I’m being ridiculous but I’m a bit sad Saturday George was over sleeping on my husband’s garden and he started on his vehicle to replace brakes My husband tried to be quiet to where he had towels to lay down his tools

at first it seemed he was ok the he suddenly ran off
Well he has not been back as of now Today I called my neighbor and she hadn’t seen him then I saw him in her property and yelled his name
He looked at me and I waved my hands and said his name again and then he began to run

so I ran in the house to get him something and my husband said he suddenly stopped and went back

I’ve yelled his name off and on My neighbor told me if it didn’t work with him she has others
Hope you guys understand but I just can’t think of others Do you think he’s scared of my husband
I don’t want to tell him that if so cause he looks has taken quite an interest in him which is unusual for him. Sighing on a wet rainy Monday hoping for Georgee

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, he may be startled by your husband coming out with work tools, but that has nothing to do with your husband. He has to fix the car. Georgee is probably skittish, like all ferals, plus he was hit by a car. If it remains "normal" around your house for a few days, he will probably go back to his old habits. This can be a process with a cat like him, and you are in it for the long haul. I don't think that he has connected any dislike with your husband at all; it was probably the site of the tools and the towel. Some cats are very suspicious of anything that looks like it could be thrown over them.

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he may be startled by your husband coming out with work tools, but that has nothing to do with your husband. He has to fix the car. Georgee is probably skittish, like all ferals, plus he was hit by a car. If it remains "normal" around your house for a few days, he will probably go back to his old habits. This can be a process with a cat like him, and you are in it for the long haul. I don't think that he has connected any dislike with your husband at all; it was probably the site of the tools and the towel. Some cats are very suspicious of anything that looks like it could be thrown over them.
Thanks so much for that info it helps more than you know

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update he returned saw him on my camera and took out food to him and sat down but he walked up to my front door like he wanted to go in I was shocked then he want and ate every bit After he went up to my door again and I noticed he was limping on one front paw I just wanted to grab him and take him inside but somehow knew I shouldnt

he then proceeded to take a nap
That’s it!!! Going shopping for a carrier and all the stuff and gonna try to catch him the week of the 16th for the vet I’m getting him off the streets
Gonna read the posts about getting him into a carrier

is their a tranquilizer the vet can give me for him
I can hardly wait!!!!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
So excited for you. Can’t wait for updates. Obviously don’t approach him, let him come to you. Talk soothingly in low tones, and get down low. Waving at him probably doesn’t help right now. Sounds like he has a yen to get in, just has to convince himself.

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So excited for you. Can’t wait for updates. Obviously don’t approach him, let him come to you. Talk soothingly in low tones, and get down low. Waving at him probably doesn’t help right now. Sounds like he has a yen to get in, just has to convince himself.
Thank you Margot just reading your post made me so happy you guys are truly special