Feral Cat Has Turned Into A Love Bug After 2 And A Half Years But Still Scared Of Others

joannes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am picking her up and petting her around others. A brave friend petted her and she let him but she hissed. No one is brave enough to touch her. She was VERY WILD when I got her and was about 4 years old. Unfortunately, she typically scratches first than hisses later. She lives entirely inside. She basically stays in two connecting rooms but will wander the rest of the house in a skittish way. She will hide in the corner of her two connecting rooms for the entire time anyone comes to the house. I have brought people to her room and I pet and hold her but she is very scared. I hate that she is so scared and I like having people over. Any advice?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wouldnt not force her to meet other people visiting. If she becomes friends with you, and hopefully other residents of the flat / family, its enough, and what is to reasonably to hope with an ex-feral taken in as adult.

Why, our oldest resident - was into the end shy of visitors. As someone come visiting, he ran away upstairs. Later on dureing the visit he could sometimes come down and look see, but it was on his own decision.

So, having a cat shy of visitors isnt no big deal. Be happy it works out for you and the family members. Having a shy cat has big advantages. You KNOW when he comes and gives you his love and company, it isnt because its thursday or he comes to virtually anybody - but its because he decided you do deserve his trust and his friendship. You had earned this, and you are hereby chosen... A very nice feeling. :)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only one of our six cats will great visitors. I've warned cat-sitters that they may not ever see some of our cats. Some people don't believe we have six.

I'd allow her to be who she is - a sweet cat who is wary of strangers. Her "territory" is where she feels safe and I'd visit my friends without disturbing her.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you can ever change a feral cat. My two ex-ferals are still terrified of all strangers after almost 3 years. They love everyone that lives in the house, but that's it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joannes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I had read all this wise advice before I tried something new to socialize my cat. Yesterday I had guests who spent the day and over night. I decided to leave the door open to my cats two connecting rooms (one of which is my bedroom(she sleeps with me at night). I figured this way if she wanted to explore she could go out on her own. However, it backfired. All puns intended. The open door made her panic. No one walked into her rooms. She stayed on my bed and when she had to go to the bathroom (poop) she hopped off my bed and did it on the floor right by the bed. Guess I should be happy she didn't do it on the bed or pee with the poop. Well she obviously likes the heads up of the door opening and I will leave it shut for now on.
She has never had even one accident ever before my very backfired experiment. Guess it will just be me and my neighbor that she will ever warm up to. Which, I am actually surprised she even warmed up to us. She is the most affectionate cat I have ever had. I am just going to be appreciative of her love towards us and let her be relaxed by her hiding when others come over. As usual, thanks everyone for your great advice and encouragement.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one of my 5 cars will venture downstairs when I have visitors, it is not uncommon even for fully domesticated cats to be skittish around strange people. Is there a reason why you feel your cats need to be social with visitors? As long as you can handle and care for your cats, you have successfully socialized them. I try to accept all of my cats for who they are, and my friends know that all but one will hide when they come over. There is only one close friend that they are comfortable around now, but it took a few years. Thanks for helping the kitties that you rescued.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am picking her up and petting her around others. A brave friend petted her and she let him but she hissed. No one is brave enough to touch her. She was VERY WILD when I got her and was about 4 years old. Unfortunately, she typically scratches first than hisses later. She lives entirely inside. She basically stays in two connecting rooms but will wander the rest of the house in a skittish way. She will hide in the corner of her two connecting rooms for the entire time anyone comes to the house. I have brought people to her room and I pet and hold her but she is very scared. I hate that she is so scared and I like having people over. Any advice?
I have sometimes been amazed at how my cats know who different people are. You would think that they would not care but some of mine are very aware of different people. I have one who often hangs out around me. She lays on top of the computer while I work on things. If a car pulls into the driveway she tells me. Her tail fluffs up and she growls. If someone gets out of the car she she jumps down in front of me and runs past the door. If it's a person who she has gotten to know she calms down but if it's someone she has never met she dives for cover. So some cats don't care and are fine with anybody. Other cats are very aware of different people. I am amazed at how well they can tell the differences. By the way, it appears to be a life time thing. None of mine have ever outgrown it.

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a man with a beard, I have noticed that the barn cats I've socialized deal better with men, particularly men with beards. And I've seen cats that were fine with adults that were terrified of children. It's all what they're used to.