Feral cat has a bad tooth

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I caught my second feral cat this week and brought her to be spayed and vaccinated. She’s approximately 1 year old or less. I paid for everything for her $61 out of my own pocket.

The clinic told me they examined her mouth while she was sedated and there was some sort of trauma to a tooth at one point. I don’t remember if they said the tooth was broken also. They said the tooth had grown in horizontal instead of downward and could develop into an abscess or cause her to stop eating at some point. I don’t know what to do...

I called a humane societies but they said they don’t provide any services for feral cats. The clinic recommended me to a supposed low cost clinic for dental but they said minimum would be $225 and if they have to sedate just to examine that’s going to be even more money. I called a local vet and they said minimal it would be $350 and it could go up from there.

Honestly I can’t afford this kind of thing for a cat that isn’t my own. It’s extremely frustrating that there are no places that will provide care for ferals.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Bless you for getting the kitty fixed. Unfortunately, cats, especially ferals don't get many resources. You could try asking for donations via PayPal or ask your vet to set up an account for the cat for direct donations. There is an organization called waggle.org that might have some suggestions. Please keep us posted - dental problems are so painful!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any chance you could keep her inside and work to socialize her? That way if a situation arises and she does have an abscess down the road, you would be able to help her? If you still have her inside, you might consider keeping her inside and working to socialize her. Many of us here have brought feral cats inside the house to live. I myself have brought 6 inside. All have done really well. It does take time and patience, but it can be done.

We are here to help if you decide to try and keep her.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught my second feral cat this week and brought her to be spayed and vaccinated. She’s approximately 1 year old or less. I paid for everything for her $61 out of my own pocket.

The clinic told me they examined her mouth while she was sedated and there was some sort of trauma to a tooth at one point. I don’t remember if they said the tooth was broken also. They said the tooth had grown in horizontal instead of downward and could develop into an abscess or cause her to stop eating at some point. I don’t know what to do...

I called a humane societies but they said they don’t provide any services for feral cats. The clinic recommended me to a supposed low cost clinic for dental but they said minimum would be $225 and if they have to sedate just to examine that’s going to be even more money. I called a local vet and they said minimal it would be $350 and it could go up from there.

Honestly I can’t afford this kind of thing for a cat that isn’t my own. It’s extremely frustrating that there are no places that will provide care for ferals.
❤

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I can relate to your frustration. I've encountered the same thing. My suggestion is to take one day at a time and deal with the known. The tooth "may" be a problem in the future. For the moment it isn't. Continue to feed and give yourself the time and space to formulate a plan if the worst happens and the cat is having trouble eating.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this won't help your situation specifically but, g/f & I made a deal w/ both our families to not exchange gifts for holidays or birthdays til further notice. This then allowed me to put at least $100/mo. away for last 2 plus yrs for cats. Our indoor & now a feral we've fed for 2 yrs outdoors that I got a Kitty Tube for him in Dec. '17.

This allowed me to save for a rainy day for kitties fund & thus the ONLY way I can do it. I try to skip anything I do not absolutely need to buy, & in over 50yrs on earth, my motto if I didn't need it at 30yrs old I wont need it after 50. lived this long & have fliphone never had a smart phone & my dumb phone works just as well. Ok, sorry for this hardluck story but this is the only way i know to prepare to help pet needs in future. This laptop is an HP from Bestbuy built in late '07 & bought in early '08. haha, I have nothing new, even my pickup is a Ranger from '02 but hey, it runs. LOL

Ok, so w/ this feral.. I'd call around to see if you can plead your case w/ a new vet. Please tell them that not caring for her is as bad as neglect & the vet should have the integrity to uphold their oath taken -- to do no harm & to help pets in need. clearly this fits that & I'd even call local tv or radio stations to appeal for help? I can't imagine a shelter won't take her & help her tooth? Ok, hope things work out & I'll keep ideas in mind if I talk to ppl that have better suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update... I brought the cat to the “low cost” clinic that I was referred me to. Over the phone yesterday they told me it would be $225 minimum for cleaning and then any extractions would cost extra. Honestly I didn’t want cleaning but the girl on the phone *insisted* it’s for the cat’s safety... I went in today and they gave me a quote of $500-600 for cleaning plus extractions/meds. I said I’m sorry I can’t do that. They ask the cat’s age and I said the spay clinic estimated 5-6 months. Then they gave me another quote without cleaning for anesthesia/extractions/meds which was $325-425.

Again unfortunately I could not do that so I took her back to my home and released her outside. Sadly I can’t bring her in the house or get that involved with this type of rescue. She did growl and hiss at me and try to lash at me through the trap, so it’s not like she would be friendly or easy to tame. I work fulltime and commute 1 hour from home each way, so this is really more than I can deal with by myself. We have 3 indoor cats, and a big husky dog, and it takes a lot just to take care of them as it is. My husband is already after me for spending money on these feral cats’ spay surgeries, plus traps, plus their food every day...

It’s just sad that there are no services or assistance for animals genuinely in need. The TNR group in my city ignored my emails yesterday but I saw them actively posting on facebook multiple times that day. And all the other times I donated to my local shelter, it just feels hopeless I feel like I should have saved that money to use in this type of situation.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:loveeyes::clap:She is adorable - I love the milk moustache. You certainly are going above and beyond to try to get her some help. You have done your best and I hope & pray that you get financial help. Do you belong to any Facebook groups who might help? Or do you have a FB page? Thank you for the update. Prayers and vibes that you get encouragement

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about a GoFundMe? I know zero re them but know alot of ppl use them.