feral cat drinking lots of water to me.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed one of my feral cats outside has been drinking a lot of water, even when it snowed, I noticed this. I never had a bucket of water out like this before, so I never saw how much he drank. There water bowl was in the shelter all the time. I have been watching him close because I have another male that follows and bothers this cat all the time. So I like to see what they do or what is going on. They have gotten into a fight, a few times, just rolling around not bad from what I can see. But after they fought once I noticed this cat was trying to kind of clear its mouth almost like it had a mouth full of hair from the other cat. So since it has been drinking the water, I have been watching closely and noticed it will turns it mouth almost like it has something stuck in its teeth or mouth. I did call the rescue that spayed the cat and I can get him in at the end of the month. But in the mean time has anyone else had something like this happen to one of there outside cats? I am hoping it isn't anything serious because of the fact it is a feral cat, and I have no way to treat it. the hardest part is trying to trap it. This rescue has been great with me on that. I have a three day window and hopefully I trap him in that window and I leave a text with the rescue that I have him and then take him in, or I leave a message each night that I didn't get him, and then I have to wait till the next time they do surgery or Curious of what kind of thoughts anyone has.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Diabetes and Kidney diseases are some of the common causes why cats need to drink more than usual. Better that the vet check on him to see what's going on.

Thank you for taking care of these cats. Bless your heart.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely appreciate the position you are in as the caretaker of ferals. Any of us who do this have been there. You have a very good plan in place, and it is a relief to know that there is a helpful rescue in the picture. A lot of people who work with cats do not have that.

Is the bothersome male cat fixed? While this is not an immediate solution, it would stop any fighting...although in my experience an unneutered male will often leave a neutered male alone.

Try a bait like KFC, something unusual that the cat might find interesting.

I am going to agree that kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, and diabetes cause an increased thirst and appetite ( are you noticing appetite increasing?)...and I understand that you will probably not be able to give insulin to a feral. Or monitor it sufficiently.

Try to get him in, so at least you know what you are facing, if anything. Yes, I have had this happen. In the case of a true feral who cannot be medicated, I have only been able to try to provide quality of life, sufficient food and water and shelter for as long as the cat can maintain themselves. Please let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really crushed that something could be wrong that I can't help fix. But I didn't trap the cat yet. I had a racoon in the way of eating the food. Hopefully he is gone for a few days, I'm thinking she is out having young ones. but I will send you a picture of these two cats. The one I wanted to trap went parcially into the trap but the other one that I said keeps following it around was almost in there too. So the trap is not big enough for two cats. And the fact that I didn't put any food out other than the trap this other cat is looking for food also. But I decided against the rescue that does all my spayed and neutering, because if there was something wrong that they couldn't take care of I would have to find another place to take him anyhow. So I am just taking him to a urgent care place in our area that everyone says is so reasonable, plus they can do what is needed. Hopefully it doesn't cost to much. I put so much money out for these cats now, between food and all the shelters I make for them. But this has to all work around my schedule and the cats cooperation. Plus my health is a problem and trying to do this is so stressful for me. Plus I have an inside cat that is constantly sick. Also because of these two being hooked at the hips I'm not sure what is going to happen when I trap this cat. I'm hoping maybe I can, if the other one will cooperate put them both on my enclosed porch. One will be in a trap and hoping the other one will just follow, me onto the porch, but I don't think this is going to happen that easily. I will leave the one on the porch and take the other one to the vets. Then when I bring him back he will be with him again, until he is ok to release, then I will release both at the same time. I can put food and a litter box there. But I will try again. Sending some picture to show how close this white cat who's name is Jinx, gets so close to the other gray cat who's name is patches. I'm not sure if he just tolerates it, or is happy with it now, or is stressed out with it. Both are neutered males. Jinx keeps rubbing up against Patches non stop. Two very healthy looking cats and nice, not really mean. So I do hope nothing is really wrong with Patches. I have trapped both of them once already to get them shots and neutered, and they weren't mean at all. I also have a female cat outside who's name is oreo. she has been her the longest now, everyone else has disappeared, and now the two males are here. One came about 3-4 years ago and Jinx has been here going on almost two years now also.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is unlikely that two adult cats will go into the trap together, although I have had mother cats and kittens or two kitten go in at the same time if they were closely bonded. It is possible that Jinx might go into the covered patio with Patches but the logistics could be tricky as you don't want Patches to escape. Hopefully this is not anything serious and everyone will go back to normal. Take it one step at a time and let us know what you find out from the vet

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is unlikely that two adult cats will go into the trap together, although I have had mother cats and kittens or two kitten go in at the same time if they were closely bonded. It is possible that Jinx might go into the covered patio with Patches but the logistics could be tricky as you don't want Patches to escape. Hopefully this is not anything serious and everyone will go back to normal. Take it one step at a time and let us know what you find out from the vet

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will reply as soon as I can and as soon as I catch him. Right now I have another inside cat that is very sick. I never know what to do for her. I have asked for suggestions on her problems. But when it comes down to it, my vet only wants me to feed her a little bit of food and be consistant with it. She she won't eat food for the pancreas. She has a pancreas problem. But when I had her at an emergecny clinic they gave me predisone and this vet I have now doesn't want me to give it to her. Maybe because they didn't issue it. I am just crushed she is always hurting. We as adults can go get a pepcid or something so there has to be something I can give her before this always comes to a head. It is so horrible when this happens to her, she poops and throws up on the floor. She knows its wrong because she kind of walks away but I don't holler at her. I just feel sad because she never feels good and isn't happy. She went threw a situation with hyperthroydism. I finally got her the one time iodine shot to resolve this. Now its this mostly all the time. She had about 2 months feeling good and now back to this. This takes a lot out of her. She has a hard time holding her weight when this happens. This is what is kind of holding me from trapping the outside cat right at this moment, but I will get around to it.