Feral cat dazed and 3 days no food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the nonstop meowing about? I know she's safe fed and warm. What does she need? She only stops when I sit with her so I've stopped rewarding the behavior and am trying just to acknowledge her at meals today. But wow this is heartbreaking. Do you guys think when weather is warmer to start reacclimating in catio? Or as soon as possible? I did just fill out a waggle app. But I'm still quite ill and am starting back to college after 30 years Tuesday so I am wearing thin

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my vet gave me gabapentin to calm her. It's working. He said it may affect her appetite but she was too upset to eat much. Max has been zonked due to his extra meds. I'm sure you all are so over this but it's been really difficult for all. I'll take it day by day with her. But clearly, she is scared stressed and away from familiar things.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
So my vet gave me gabapentin to calm her. It's working. He said it may affect her appetite but she was too upset to eat much. Max has been zonked due to his extra meds. I'm sure you all are so over this but it's been really difficult for all. I'll take it day by day with her. But clearly, she is scared stressed and away from familiar things.

I am still not a big fan of letting her go back outside, her scent is different now, something I am sure her sisters will let her know. She just doesn't seem to be hardy enough of a cat to make it outside, and now she thinks your house is her home. Is there any other room that will be farther away from Max? Have they sniffed one another through the carrier?

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, they have. Neither has any aggression but he is clearly affected as he is having seizures to the point of near hospital stay. The emergency vet said any stressors need to be removed. It's beyond a real issue. Not sure how to move forward. I understand the issue of releasing her. My counter to that is her sister was gone 5 days for her tnr as she injured herself thrashing.Nobody seemed worse for wear. Upon her return.Her sister has been hanging near Lilys winter shelter. .Either way, I can't win.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe that the nonstop meowing is loneliness. It is so sad that there are too few people out there to help out with cats in need. It tends to inundate a few loving, courageous individuals to shoulder what should be a community concern. And sadly, I often see cat caregivers get called upon to help people and dogs as well; I, myself, am suffering from compassion fatigue. If she goes out with her sisters, she will have pretty much completed her antibiotics, if I recall correctly. I know Max's health is a very grave concern so your options are limited. While it is too bad that she must go back outside, maybe you can provide extra amenities such as a heated outdoor pet pad and warm water. You can supplement their food with L-lysine for immune support. I also add Homeopet Nose Relief in the water bowl at 10 drops per pint. I also use bovine colostrum powder once a week for my ferals. While it isn't ideal, it seems to work because my ferals are 10 - 16+ years.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do believe that the nonstop meowing is loneliness. It is so sad that there are too few people out there to help out with cats in need. It tends to inundate a few loving, courageous individuals to shoulder what should be a community concern. And sadly, I often see cat caregivers get called upon to help people and dogs as well; I, myself, am suffering from compassion fatigue. If she goes out with her sisters, she will have pretty much completed her antibiotics, if I recall correctly. I know Max's health is a very grave concern so your options are limited. While it is too bad that she must go back outside, maybe you can provide extra amenities such as a heated outdoor pet pad and warm water. You can supplement their food with L-lysine for immune support. I also add Homeopet Nose Relief in the water bowl at 10 drops per pint. I also use bovine colostrum powder once a week for my ferals. While it isn't ideal, it seems to work because my ferals are 10 - 16+ years.
9 hours she meowed nonstop. I snuggled her and it would stop and she would lay on her back and make air biscuits but she started again. This morning after she finished her breakfast (with antibiotics) I took her outside and she didn't want to leave my side. Then I opened sliding door and I thought she was coming back in but she opted for her sister and nephew when she saw them. After they ate off they went. , She showed for dinner with her sister and nephew. Chatty and seemingly happy and reached for her nightly kiss on the head. I didn't want to let her go until it warmed up but she needed companionship and Max needed solitude. I will continue antibiotics for 3 more days. Hard decision but it was too hard on her. Harder than being outside. I'm grateful she was well enough to return to her sister.
I will try the l lysine and look into others mentioned as I would like to learn more. I love that little girl as much as I've ever loved a cat but her happiness is out there. If she needs me my door will open wide. But it seems she just needed to get better. Thankfully she trusts me
Thank God for this site and loving people
Max has returned to himself mostly. Crystals this morning while pottying ( crying) but I believe now stress is gone they will subside. Seizure are gone
Thank you All. I have so much gratitude for the advice, concern, and love you all offered