Feral cat dazed and 3 days no food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can do that. I'll try the Feliway for her and check with the vet. I'm not sure how to keep both ok for 2 weeks. we will though Also not sure she can go back outside after time in? I'm going to do everything possible to make this work but must admit my epileptic cat has to be able to make peace. He already gets 3 meds a day. Has a neurologist and frequent visits to the house from vet for crystal issues. Were finally on combo that works ( including him going in the backyard as often as I can supervise) I didn't think this through I just knew I had to help Lilly

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can do that. I'll try the Feliway for her and check with the vet. I'm not sure how to keep both ok for 2 weeks. we will though Also not sure she can go back outside after time in? I'm going to do everything possible to make this work but must admit my epileptic cat has to be able to make peace. He already gets 3 meds a day. Has a neurologist and frequent visits to the house from vet for crystal issues. Were finally on combo that works ( including him going in the backyard as often as I can supervise) I didn't think this through I just knew I had to help Lilly

Keep them separated from each other if you are able to. When I brought Inky in from the outside he had to stay in my bathroom for a couple of months while my cats got use to his scent from under the door. The key is to have patience and go slowly.

Introducing a New Cat

Most outdoor cats that I have brought into my home usually prefer to stay indoors. Jeff was my exception.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is in the downstairs bathroom. When I go in he gets very upset. I'm trying to give him more Lovin and pets etc but then he has seizures and he isn't with it for a while. will she be ok in the powder room for extended period? Minimum 2 weeks?

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep them separated from each other if you are able to. When I brought Inky in from the outside he had to stay in my bathroom for a couple of months while my cats got use to his scent from under the door. The key is to have patience and go slowly.

Introducing a New Cat

Most outdoor cats that I have brought into my home usually prefer to stay indoors. Jeff was my exception.
What happened with Jeff?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened with Jeff?

Jeff is my best friend and I have written a few posts about her. :)

I met Jeff by accident when I was trying to feed another outdoor cat. Twice a day, for one month, I faithfully put out some dry food, accompanied by a dish of skim milk. I then found out that the kitty I was feeding actually belonged to a family on the other side of the woods that separated our homes. However, the food was still going down. I was about to stop putting food out altogether because I thought raccoons or skunks were probably eating it. The one night, when the sun was almost down, I spotted an extremely large, wild looking, tabby cat, who was just polishing off the Purina Cat Chow that I had put out earlier. I watched her from my car, not making a sound. When she had finished she warily looked around and then slowly proceeded to walk away, in the direction of my back yard. I found out later that she had made my shed her home. That was eight years ago and the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

As much as she trusted me, Jeff always needed an escape route. If she heard a loud noise outside, instead of staying inside where she was safe, she would immediately go to the door and start clawing at it, begging me to let her back out. Honoring her feelings, I always obliged. When outside, she would sprint towards that shed, it was sanctuary to her. Her trust in me only grew stronger with each year and the need to run to the door every time she became frighten started to fade.

Jeff passed away on March 29th, 2019 of natural causes. I found her two days later, lying peacefully in the back shed.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is in the downstairs bathroom. When I go in he gets very upset. I'm trying to give him more Lovin and pets etc but then he has seizures and he isn't with it for a while. will she be ok in the powder room for extended period? Minimum 2 weeks?

I would say that he is going through typical jealous cat behavior, except for those awful seizures. Can you alert the vet as to what is going on with him?

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went and got her homeo anxiety drops. Gave had 3 drops with tuna water and she's completely chill. Better for her, Max and me. The vet said to remove stressor( can't do) for Maxs seizures.I have been washing hands neck and face after time with her. He's stopped eating since she arrived and he can only eat 2 types of food due to his extreme crystal issue.plus meds 2xs day for that with seizure meds. Prayer is all I can do..unless you guys have other thoughts. ?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are giving him extra attention after being with her, it could be over stimulation. That can trigger seizures in human or cat. I would wear some shirt or loose clothing over your regular clothes when with Lily. Shed those before stepping out the door and walk away from the room. Your other baby is likely to follow you. A few little head pats and then go about daily routine to see if that is a calmer procedure. Acting as though overly concerned can spread the feelings to the kitty.
Lily can stay in the room for an extended period. My Wanda Heart has to be isolated in recovery for over a month. The thing about returning Lily to outside is that if she drank bad water, it could be a repeat activity. Bad food as well. She is compromised right now, a couple of weeks just isn’t enough to be sure she is strong again. Returning her outside may be something she won’t be able to handle. I would not attempt it if at all possible. Not unless you could provide a catio or somewhere safe for her to live. Let’s see if there is a way to keep both kitties safe and happy.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't done scent swapping. Lilly has been a daily fixture in the yard going on a year. It's Max's yard so I give him the freedom to defend or allow anyone he wants. Some days she spends all day lounging etc some days he chases her over the fence. I had a hardscape yard and I ended up digging down a foot getting all roots rocks etc then hauling in dirt 1 wheelbarrow a time planted grass all to help Max have a place to engage his mind. He's been a challenge. We've spent 24/7 together for 4 years now. I've had him 5. He's 8 yrs old. He's my shadow best friend. He even sits with me showering. I know we are too close. I probably need to chill...thank you for advice on Lilly. Helps me plan

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night I spent the entire night in the ER with my house cat Max. It's been advised to remove Lilly. She is not ready to be released. My fear is that I'll never be able to return her to her sisters. I don't know anyone that can take her. She also is afraid of all other people. For now, I'm giving Max anti-anxiety meds as Feliway is a few days to 2 weeks before it's effective. She is meowing constantly now. Help!

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you make a catio outside for Lily? Even two large dog crates tied together work as a temporary fix.Cover one end,heating pad or box of straw and a litter box. It would do for now and give you and the forum a chance to come up with a workable solution.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's in a hard large dog carrier. I took her outside in carrier but she continued to meow incessantly. So on Wednesday temps will be high 40s and not freezing at night. So I will release her in the morning after her breakfast and watch for her all day. Hopefully, she will be with the other 2. ( her sister and sisters kitten that she hangs with) if she doesn't come back for dinner and next day I'm not sure what to do. For now, the vet gave me a sedative for Max but still needing to dbl seizure med. We all are extremely stressed. If I release her Wed she will have 8 days of antibiotics that I'll continue God willing when she comes 2xs a day. I'm so worried about both. Financially I'm way beyond stretched between 300 for her and 800 for him.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am pricing dog crates cheapest is $25-31. I'm financially bad so going to look for homemade similar options that I can use starting Tuesday or wed

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on where you live, you might find good prices for catio building materials at a repurposing store or better yet, at a junkman's place. If you have a local 4-H club, you might get some help there, especially from kids who are keeping a chicken project; I use my coop building skills learned as a child for making catios. Your local VFW may have some suggestions for retired people who would love to help. Helping strays and ferals can be challenging but fortunately, cats seem to know that we want to help them and they are smart enough to accept that help.