Feral cat dazed and 3 days no food

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My precious feral cat that was born in my front bushes 2 1/2 years ago hasn't eaten in 3 days. She's only not eaten 2 other times. After spay/abortion. Then last summer during a heatwave. I give her revolution plus so she's flea tick earmite worm and parasite free. Tonight she came from the wooded area behind my home at dinner time. Very chatty with tail up with her sister. I sat and pet her for 5 minutes continually then went to get their dinner. She wouldn't eat. Tried everything in past 6 meals. Tuna, sardines, mackerel, baby food, Turkey chicken and fish broth. Clearly, I'm worried. The not eating I can keep trying and praying she eating somewhere/something else. But while other 2 cats ate and I was sitting on the ground with her she curled up on haunches and dropped her head and seemed dazed. She's seems to be getting boney after having a good solid winter weight. after a few minutes of her not responding to me she went in her winter shelter. I would go through the trauma of the vet but I'm unemployed and am just grateful I'm able to feed them plus care/meds for my epileptic /struvite crystal making cat
PLEASE HELP!!!
I also gave her llyscene and doxycycline over past 2 1/2 weeks as she was acting strangely and looking ill. I'm beside myself with the thought of finding her dead. I love this cat so much. Any ideas or similar experience?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give her some medication to stimulate her appetite?- is she acting like she is nauseated? To be honest, I think you need a vet intervention now. If a cat doesn't eat their system will start to shut down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you give her some medication to stimulate her appetite?- is she acting like she is nauseated? To be honest, I think you need a vet intervention now. If a cat doesn't eat their system will start to shut down.
I know fatty liver is a fear but I can barely afford their food while unemployed. I'm not sure what else to do to stimulate her appetite? I've tried all recommendation but please if you know of one i didn't list please share

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know fatty liver is a fear but I can barely afford their food while unemployed. I'm not sure what else to do to stimulate her appetite? I've tried all recommendation but please if you know of one i didn't list please share

I understand about costs- it can be staggering. Will the vet help you that fixed her?

Mirtazapine is a good medication to both treat nausea and stimulate a cat's appetite. It is not an expensive medication.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing is to get some liquids down her, please try to get a syringe from your vet, and squirt some water or lactose free whole milk down her throat, if she will not drink on her own.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Allyocean, are you still here?- please respond.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She freaks if I pick her up. Biting twisting anal secretion but I will go buy the meds and try to get a syringe to do sub q. The spay-neuter clinic is something hadn't considered so will call in morning. In summer when she stopped eating i took to local vet and 350.00 later no answers. Thank you thank you! Praying she's still there in the morning

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
She freaks if I pick her up. Biting twisting anal secretion but I will go buy the meds and try to get a syringe to do sub q. The spay-neuter clinic is something hadn't considered so will call in morning. In summer when she stopped eating i took to local vet and 350.00 later no answers. Thank you thank you! Praying she's still there in the morning
Try things like warm fast food hamburger, fried chicken (skin off, KFC original formula if possible), grocery store meats (deli, raw, etc), hot dog, French fries, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, goat cheese, plain full fat yogurt, unsalted butter, eggs (raw, scrambled, Sunny side) etc.

Without a vet, you’re going to need to get creative. Go for as plain as possible as far as salt, spices, oil, and so on, rinse and wipe off what you can.

Try anything that is relatively nontoxic to cats in small amounts, even if it’s not “healthy” or generally cat-appropriate.

Many times, just getting them to eat something is enough to stop the cycle of inappetence. Days 3 and 4 are going to be critical in accomplishing this, as that is when side effects of Hepatic Lipidosis will begin to set in for a non-overweight cat, and the cycle will be more difficult to break even with vet intervention.

I would also try Purebites chicken treats, too. Even cheap foods like Meow Mix, or lickable treats at the grocery store.

Is she drinking at all? If so, add some unflavored Pedialyte to the water.

I know finances are limited, so just do what you can. Remember, no matter what happens, they’ve made it this far because of you. Don’t be discouraged, just try to do your due diligence, it’s all we can do sometimes. You’re still doing far more than most.

The only OTC I can think of that might help (big night though) is SEB/Slippery Elm Bark, and that only even has a chance of nausea or particularly stomach acid are a cause or major factor. But she’d have to be syringed or eat something first in order to get it in her :/

Have you Googled for low cost clinics in your area? Call up rescues and spay/neuter clinics and ask if they know of any. Do the same with Facebook pages and groups for pets/animals/cats/private stray rescuers, etc, as well as posting on Nextdoor.

With rescues, keep in mind that you’re not asking their direct help - be specific about wanting a referral/resources so they don’t tune you out (rescues often get upwards of 30 calls a day for hands-on help, so you need to make it clear that’s not what you’re asking - if they want and are able to help you, they will offer).

Have you attempted to see if you’re eligible for CareCredit?

Is crowd funding an option for you?

Thank you so much for caring for these guys - the immense love you have for them is evident in your posts.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My precious feral cat that was born in my front bushes 2 1/2 years ago hasn't eaten in 3 days. She's only not eaten 2 other times. After spay/abortion. Then last summer during a heatwave. I give her revolution plus so she's flea tick earmite worm and parasite free. Tonight she came from the wooded area behind my home at dinner time. Very chatty with tail up with her sister. I sat and pet her for 5 minutes continually then went to get their dinner. She wouldn't eat. Tried everything in past 6 meals. Tuna, sardines, mackerel, baby food, Turkey chicken and fish broth. Clearly, I'm worried. The not eating I can keep trying and praying she eating somewhere/something else. But while other 2 cats ate and I was sitting on the ground with her she curled up on haunches and dropped her head and seemed dazed. She's seems to be getting boney after having a good solid winter weight. after a few minutes of her not responding to me she went in her winter shelter. I would go through the trauma of the vet but I'm unemployed and am just grateful I'm able to feed them plus care/meds for my epileptic /struvite crystal making cat
PLEASE HELP!!!
I also gave her llyscene and doxycycline over past 2 1/2 weeks as she was acting strangely and looking ill. I'm beside myself with the thought of finding her dead. I love this cat so much. Any ideas or similar experience?
So sorry she is ill. I hope you can find a way to get her eat and even maybe get her to the dvm. She was already ill since you decided to medicate obviously. It seems she is at the point where a dvm is needed. Maybe a friend can help? I would try baby food. Yucca is supposed to be a natural appetite stimulant for cats but I don’t know if it is really safe.

My Cat Won’t Eat! How to Stimulate Your Cat’s Appetite

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She didn't show this morning. 8th meal she's not eaten to my knowledge. She always comes when I call yet nothing. I'm heartbroken and in immense pain thinking about her not here. If I'm able to see her again I'll scoop her up and take her to Emergency and forgo bills of my own. Who knew a feral cat could bring so much joy to my life...I pray God will see fit for more time with her.
Thanks all for ideas! Hopefully will get to try them

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending good thoughts your way. I do hope the best for this sweet feral. They do find a way to get into your hearts. Please keep us updated.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn't show this morning. 8th meal she's not eaten to my knowledge. She always comes when I call yet nothing. I'm heartbroken and in immense pain thinking about her not here. If I'm able to see her again I'll scoop her up and take her to Emergency and forgo bills of my own. Who knew a feral cat could bring so much joy to my life...I pray God will see fit for more time with her.
Thanks all for ideas! Hopefully will get to try them

I had a cat this last summer who was battling some kind of nasal infection and could not smell her food. She would lick at it but that was all she could manage. This went on for two weeks and she was getting weaker and staggering all over the place, she also was not a cat that could be picked up. Finally, one night she staggered over to me and I was able to reach down and gently grab her by the ruff. I literally had to force the syringe between clench teeth to get antibiotics and warm milk down her throat.

Thank you for saving these guys, and I pray that she comes back. Sending nothing but good vibes your way. Please keep us posted.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe my sweet Lilly has died. After reflecting on recent behaviors I dismissed I now believe I failed her. She used all her strength to come to say goodbye last night. Because I couldn't make a decision to put her above my financial needs I don't believe I'll be able to forgive myself. Why did I ignore all the times she did things that were out of character? I'm so grief-stricken breathing is even painful. For goodness sake, I need to be present for my very health-challenged rescue, Max.
You see Lilly was brought to me whilst her mom was still nursing her litter. The mom left all 3 kittens in my front bushes. One I became fond of immediately had a huge personality and I was able to get her to a woman known for socializing and homing Ferals. So that left 2. The runt Lilly was very bonded to the one that left and I began slowly building trust and a very special love with her. Her sister remained very wild but I fed her every meal too. Lilly would come looking for me meowing constantly. Almost to the point of " please be quiet you're beginning to irritate me" ( what was wrong with me) She had no cat stealth. She announced herself from across the woods meowing the entire trip to see me! . She just loved chatting. She began to enjoy pets smelling my breath and hanging out while I was gardening. We have spent 1 1/2 years having a special love. Occasionally my 15 lb long hair boy would clean her head as she was about 5lbs so he dwarfed her. Then promptly chase her over the fence but it never deterred her. A few minutes later she'd start talking and coming over the fence again. So much love for me!
Recently she was less chatty. I would see her from my upstairs window sitting atop the fence for some time just watching. Then she started sitting on the seat of my patio chairs. Then 1 day she was sitting in the drizzle in the loaf position and I felt she wasn't right yet dismissed it. I noticed whenever she heard my voice ( through closed doors ) she was close. Until I went to bed at night then she disappeared into her winter shelter or the woods until breakfast. Then she started to not greet me at my car. Her very feral sister started doing so while she sat by the side where I feed them. Next, her eyes began to look unusually large even buggy, at times. But never lasted so I dismissed it as my eyes are getting old and I wasn't seeing that or maybe I she was just grown and looking so now. She became more subdued, not chatty. All these things occurred in the last month. Finally, I noticed she didn't eat very much of her food for some days. Again I dismissed this. Lastly, she missed dinner Saturday night. Sunday morning she came but did not eat so I began all the usual bribes. Tuna boiled chicken sardines mackerel. Nothing. Ahe only showed up for pets and attention. Last night she came from the woods behind my home and over the fence talking and my heart soared! She's fine!!! I ran to get supper for the 3 of them. She didn't eat. couldn't eat. She sniffed all my offerings while I pet her and begged her to eat. Telling her over and over I loved her. Finally, she had enough and went in the winter shelter. The only time she left while I was sitting there. The night before she had left my side and bathed but stayed close. I came to bed with information from this group determined to get her vet care and damn my bills. I woke today and she wasn't there. I believe last night I received a gift from her saying goodbye. Tonight I fed the 2 other ferals and as I was calling for Lilly and sobbing they sat patiently and watched. Then when I composed myself they ate. I know I need to continue caring for them and I certainly will. I MISS HER. In my bones, I believe she's gone. It did not stop me from calling over the fence every 20 minutes.
If anyone actually reads this...thank you!!!
Hopefully, sleep will come now that I've put this to words and maybe just maybe I'm wrong and she will return from she feels safe and is healing. Maybe hoping that will get me through this pain

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe my sweet Lilly has died. After reflecting on recent behaviors I dismissed I now believe I failed her. She used all her strength to come to say goodbye last night. Because I couldn't make a decision to put her above my financial needs I don't believe I'll be able to forgive myself. Why did I ignore all the times she did things that were out of character? I'm so grief-stricken breathing is even painful. For goodness sake, I need to be present for my very health-challenged rescue, Max.
You see Lilly was brought to me whilst her mom was still nursing her litter. The mom left all 3 kittens in my front bushes. One I became fond of immediately had a huge personality and I was able to get her to a woman known for socializing and homing Ferals. So that left 2. The runt Lilly was very bonded to the one that left and I began slowly building trust and a very special love with her. Her sister remained very wild but I fed her every meal too. Lilly would come looking for me meowing constantly. Almost to the point of " please be quiet you're beginning to irritate me" ( what was wrong with me) She had no cat stealth. She announced herself from across the woods meowing the entire trip to see me! . She just loved chatting. She began to enjoy pets smelling my breath and hanging out while I was gardening. We have spent 1 1/2 years having a special love. Occasionally my 15 lb long hair boy would clean her head as she was about 5lbs so he dwarfed her. Then promptly chase her over the fence but it never deterred her. A few minutes later she'd start talking and coming over the fence again. So much love for me!
Recently she was less chatty. I would see her from my upstairs window sitting atop the fence for some time just watching. Then she started sitting on the seat of my patio chairs. Then 1 day she was sitting in the drizzle in the loaf position and I felt she wasn't right yet dismissed it. I noticed whenever she heard my voice ( through closed doors ) she was close. Until I went to bed at night then she disappeared into her winter shelter or the woods until breakfast. Then she started to not greet me at my car. Her very feral sister started doing so while she sat by the side where I feed them. Next, her eyes began to look unusually large even buggy, at times. But never lasted so I dismissed it as my eyes are getting old and I wasn't seeing that or maybe I she was just grown and looking so now. She became more subdued, not chatty. All these things occurred in the last month. Finally, I noticed she didn't eat very much of her food for some days. Again I dismissed this. Lastly, she missed dinner Saturday night. Sunday morning she came but did not eat so I began all the usual bribes. Tuna boiled chicken sardines mackerel. Nothing. Ahe only showed up for pets and attention. Last night she came from the woods behind my home and over the fence talking and my heart soared! She's fine!!! I ran to get supper for the 3 of them. She didn't eat. couldn't eat. She sniffed all my offerings while I pet her and begged her to eat. Telling her over and over I loved her. Finally, she had enough and went in the winter shelter. The only time she left while I was sitting there. The night before she had left my side and bathed but stayed close. I came to bed with information from this group determined to get her vet care and damn my bills. I woke today and she wasn't there. I believe last night I received a gift from her saying goodbye. Tonight I fed the 2 other ferals and as I was calling for Lilly and sobbing they sat patiently and watched. Then when I composed myself they ate. I know I need to continue caring for them and I certainly will. I MISS HER. In my bones, I believe she's gone. It did not stop me from calling over the fence every 20 minutes.
Hopefully, sleep will come now that I've put this to words and maybe just maybe I'm wrong and she will return from she feels safe and is healing. Maybe hoping that will get me through this pain

Do not be hard on yourself, nobody could love that cat more than you do. You are not the mind reader of cats and cats can hide their illnesses very well. I too have put off medical treatments for animals due to fiances- most of us have..

Okay, let's look at this in a proactive way- is there any place that you know of where she could have gone?- sick cats quite often go somewhere before they either get better or pass away. Looking for her might be very constructive and it would help you out immensely.

When I spoke of my sick girl over on your thread- I forgot to tell you that she would disapear for as long as five days at a time, for over three weeks, before I finally managed to catch her. And as I mentioned, she was not eating or drinking anything.

Lets not give up on her so soon.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do not be hard on yourself, nobody could love that cat more than you do. You are not the mind reader of cats and cats can hide their illnesses very well. I too have put off medical treatments for animals due to fiances- most of us have..

Okay, let's look at this in a proactive way- is there any place that you know of where she could have gone?- sick cats quite often go somewhere before they either get better or pass away. Looking for her might be very constructive and it would help you out immensely.

When I spoke of my sick girl over on your thread- I forgot to tell you that she would disapear for as long as five days at a time, for over three weeks, before I finally managed to catch her. And as I mentioned, she was not eating or drinking anything.

Lets not give up on her so soon.
Ohhh that was so good to see! Thank you! Unfortunately, my house butts up against think wooded brambles with extremely sharp spines so exploring for her is virtually impossible. In the best of conditions, I can't get in more than 10 feet before I stop covered in rose stem type thorns stuck to all my clothing.. That is the only place I've ever seen them coming and going from that's why i call over the fence as I have no other way to get to them.
Thank you for the hope! When she was tnr she got loose first night in 30-degree temps when she was 6 months old 4 days later she returned. Thank you so very much for your thoughts! It means more than I express. Hopefully she will return.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not give up. Hope remains and cats are very tough. Just keep calling. I’ve had them seem to vanish for long periods of time and think that I had lost them. One was in dire shape after something happened to her. I just could not imagine that she had survived. A few months later she returned. I did manage to get her after that. She knows you love her. That is the most important thing you can ever give. Don’t give up. Continue to love the others and keep looking. You’ve done a wonderful thing by helping them.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Let's hope for the best that Lily is ok and hope she returns. Our hearts go out to you and if Lily does not return at the end, she knew that you did the best for her. And in remembrance of her, you may want to pay a tribute to her here in crossing-the-bridge.19 but we are hoping that she returns.

Hugs for you
ce1b691477378727c6483b5d15914b96.jpg

Last edited:

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you seem to know it's not a choice with cats. It's just like breathing for some of us. Cats seem to be my reason for being. Might sound sad but I am humbled by them daily. Thank you sincerely for understanding. No one I know will understand so this support feels like hugs