Feral cat dazed and 3 days no food

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
~❓Could it be Lilly is being fed elsewhere ...
I hope she did not eat a sick bird or rodent ! 🐁🐈

Good point, it is so hard to know with an outdoor cat.

I took in a feral a few years back that was completely gold in coloring, his ears, throat, eyes, body, etc... and by the time I got him to my vet. he was comatose. My vet thought the cat was having liver failure and didn't think he would last the night. I convinced him to give the kitty an antibiotic shot and to show me how to properly administer fluids.

Every 15 minutes I had to inject fluids under his skin and by two the next morning he was sitting up and alert. The vet concluded that he must have ingested some kind of poison (antifreeze?), and that we finally had flushed it out of his system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went in and she seems to be sleeping. I've got a very soft night light and quiet classical music.
I feel better already. Saw weather forecast and she's going to be in at least 2 weeks and hoping forever.with prayers and luck, also that she will eat on her own and begin healing
As usual, I cannot thank every last one! Lilly wouldn't be here without you guys😘

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~❓Could it be Lilly is being fed elsewhere ...
I hope she did not eat a sick bird or rodent ! 🐁🐈
Anything is possible but clearly she is very ill. Dr thought bird or rodent too. She leaves me mice frequently and a few weeks back I found a head on sidewalk and a body in grasa

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I went in and she seems to be sleeping. I've got a very soft night light and quiet classical music.
I feel better already. Saw weather forecast and she's going to be in at least 2 weeks and hoping forever.with prayers and luck, also that she will eat on her own and begin healing
As usual, I cannot thank every last one! Lilly wouldn't be here without you guys😘

You are so welcome, glad we could help and lend some support. However, in reality, Lilly would not be here, safe and sound, without YOU.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
she's going to be in at least 2 weeks and hoping forever
I'll go with after two weeks in and then and forever and ever and ever. You have made an impact on her life and she is meant to be indoors and she has put all her trust and hope in you. Please never let her out again or maybe this time, you'll never get to see her again.

With all your love and care, in time she'll be eating well as proper care is given to help her heal as compared to if she's left outside to fend for her own with one to take care of her and only coming back weaker than before.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off.....you did NOT betray her. You did the right thing! Whatever you do, don’t let her back outside! I have brought in and socialized a very large number of feral cats. She is just sick and unsure of her surroundings. You need to let her recover and adjust to a world that is new to her. I just wish you could jump ahead a bit. Ferals that are sick need your help to survive. Outside is hard and a kitty can’t relax. They have to be vigilant. As soon as she understands that she can truly rest in safety, she will sleep well and have a much easier time working on getting well. Outside she would still be likely to drink bad water or eat bad food as the vet suspected she was doing. The ferals I have brought in are now so content and look so much healthier! They truly seem grateful to be where they can snuggle a warm blanket on a wet, cold night. They don’t have to gobble their food now because they know there is time to eat and more food will be coming. There is no reason to be afraid of cars, humans or predators anymore. You need to remember that she knows your heart and trusts you. That’s why she came to you. Although she needs time to learn that inside is great, she will still love you.
Give her time, peace, love and let her know you are her rock. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food can be used to tempt her to eat. The liquid from canned tuna in water or canned chicken in water is something my sick or scared kitties are good about taking. Check the label and makes sure there isn’t anything like garlic or onions added. Dollar stores have canned white meat chicken breast that is affordable as well as tuna. These may be used to lure her to eating more. Treats! You’ve been given great tips about letting her be quiet but leave a night light and check on her but always announce you are entering the room. You can put a shirt or towel with your scent on it in the room to reassure her too. Make sure she is comfortable, and can stay warm with water, litter box and food. You might want to put some leaves or straw (or whatever was present where she went potty) from outside into the litter box so she understands the box is a bathroom. The scent of outdoors will help. Just be calm, happy and keep doing what you have been doing. You’ve done a great job with her! She knows it too! Bravo! Please do post back with updates. Many here will be around to offer tips and support. :clap2::redheartpump:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating rodents can be very risky as they are frequently full of parasites. Please, keep her in. I thought you might like to see before and after pictures of a feral. She looked okay at first glance. Then I got a close look. She was covered in scratches, thin and very sick. At first she was scared but with patience and care, she made a full recovery. Cats are tough but they respond greatly to love and affection.
3B3D9DCD-68FD-46AF-B2D4-AE3C459AC374.jpeg
15492295-D4CD-4DBF-8537-265DFF8CD3F8.jpeg
70AF2D4D-1E4D-4934-80C3-ABC6C96797E7.jpeg
A49FBB99-8B9D-4ABF-8C03-F60342F26DB8.jpeg

This is Wanda Heart after receiving regular good food, vet care, spending time in a safe ,comfortable place and learning it was fun to play with a human. It took time but she’s not scared anymore. If we give them our love and care, we have given the best we have to offer. I will not be putting her back outside.
2065404A-0204-4D7F-8F85-A07C29FC315E.jpeg
B9E19F7E-B6D1-4E1C-8F95-EF288DD0C67D.jpeg
04275251-3DE8-4DC1-9CD6-D66441369A17.jpeg

We send you all the best we have to offer.
14BA1075-9E86-4675-A7B8-EF0C0643A8FB.jpeg

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off.....you did NOT betray her. You did the right thing! Whatever you do, don’t let her back outside! I have brought in and socialized a very large number of feral cats. She is just sick and unsure of her surroundings. You need to let her recover and adjust to a world that is new to her. I just wish you could jump ahead a bit. Ferals that are sick need your help to survive. Outside is hard and a kitty can’t relax. They have to be vigilant. As soon as she understands that she can truly rest in safety, she will sleep well and have a much easier time working on getting well. Outside she would still be likely to drink bad water or eat bad food as the vet suspected she was doing. The ferals I have brought in are now so content and look so much healthier! They truly seem grateful to be where they can snuggle a warm blanket on a wet, cold night. They don’t have to gobble their food now because they know there is time to eat and more food will be coming. There is no reason to be afraid of cars, humans or predators anymore. You need to remember that she knows your heart and trusts you. That’s why she came to you. Although she needs time to learn that inside is great, she will still love you.
Give her time, peace, love and let her know you are her rock. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food can be used to tempt her to eat. The liquid from canned tuna in water or canned chicken in water is something my sick or scared kitties are good about taking. Check the label and makes sure there isn’t anything like garlic or onions added. Dollar stores have canned white meat chicken breast that is affordable as well as tuna. These may be used to lure her to eating more. Treats! You’ve been given great tips about letting her be quiet but leave a night light and check on her but always announce you are entering the room. You can put a shirt or towel with your scent on it in the room to reassure her too. Make sure she is comfortable, and can stay warm with water, litter box and food. You might want to put some leaves or straw (or whatever was present where she went potty) from outside into the litter box so she understands the box is a bathroom. The scent of outdoors will help. Just be calm, happy and keep doing what you have been doing. You’ve done a great job with her! She knows it too! Bravo! Please do post back with updates. Many here will be around to offer tips and support. :clap2::redheartpump:
Wow! Such great words and advice. I'm it itching like crazy. Hoping we don't have flees as I sat on ground yesterday and this morning a long time. My cat has advantage 2 and I treated lilly with revolution plus last week but the other 2 are not treated. And wondering if I actually got meds on her as I didn't see any wet I think the bottle looked empty. but now I'm wondering should I treat her with something else? Did I possibly get them and brought them in? Or is it probably mental? Yikes I have soapy water by bed. This is bananas.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eating rodents can be very risky as they are frequently full of parasites. Please, keep her in. I thought you might like to see before and after pictures of a feral. She looked okay at first glance. Then I got a close look. She was covered in scratches, thin and very sick. At first she was scared but with patience and care, she made a full recovery. Cats are tough but they respond greatly to love and affection. View attachment 317986View attachment 317987View attachment 317988View attachment 317989
This is Wanda Heart after receiving regular good food, vet care, spending time in a safe ,comfortable place and learning it was fun to play with a human. It took time but she’s not scared anymore. If we give them our love and care, we have given the best we have to offer. I will not be putting her back outside.
View attachment 317990View attachment 317991View attachment 317992
We send you all the best we have to offer.
View attachment 317993
How cute! Great encouragement!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all you have been stressing about, it could just be itching. Don’t double dose her with a topical flea medicine. The package should tell you how soon you can dose again. With most you must wait 4weeks. There is a pill that you might be able to use that will kill fleas for 24 hours but you need to ask the vet if she is up to that. Not sure if it would be good right now since she is feeling bad and in other medicine. A phone call to ask the vet about a Capstar would be necessary. One pill is only a few dollars but will only kill adult fleas on her for a day. Hopefully you are just itchy after having some nerve wracking days. There are flea combs and you can get those at Dollar General or most any pet supply place. If you can comb her on a white towel, you’ll be able to see if she has fleas. Dipping the comb in a dish of Dawn dish liquid to drown the fleas as you comb will help a lot if she has any on her. The vet would probably have checked her for them too. After she settles some, she might find being combed very relaxing. For now, just be sure to wash her bedding often and keep the area clean. I don’t know what type of flooring you have but if you can mop, you can get the floor very wet with Dawn dish liquid and then go back to soak up the water and soap. That helps to rid the floor of fleas too. If you vacuum, dump the bag or canister immediately after into a plastic bag you can seal and take out to the trash right away.I dump mine into a plastic garbage bag with soapy water too. Drown those fleas. Lol They are the most irritating little bugs! You can also make a flea trap out of a dish of Dawn dish liquid and water and sit the dish beneath a night light. The fleas are attracted to the light and land in the dish. Don’t put the dish where the kitties might drink the water. I often put a flea trap inside the cat carrier so I can shut it away from kitties until I know they won’t drink the water. Hang in there!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
The ferals I have brought in are now so content and look so much healthier! They truly seem grateful to be where they can snuggle a warm blanket on a wet, cold night. They don’t have to gobble their food now because they know there is time to eat and more food will be coming. There is no reason to be afraid of cars, humans or predators anymore.
👌😏 ~ Yes that must be a good feeling. One of the "niceties" of life for folks like us ... :catlove:

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great Progress...she called out to me! I went in for her breakfast and she only stuck but her sweet little head out but she wanted head kisses!!! Then after a few minutes of kisses and eye and breath smelling she ate a dozen or so mouthfuls! Im beyond excited and grateful! I'll will head back in soon. I need the Dr now. So I can get better to continue helping my babies! I think it must be nerves as I see no flee bites. I'll vacuum and use a natural spray for the rest of the house. I had a soapy water dish near bed all night and saw nothing this morning. Every bit of info you guys have given has worked! God bless all of you!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Great Progress...she called out to me! I went in for her breakfast and she only stuck but her sweet little head out but she wanted head kisses!!! Then after a few minutes of kisses and eye and breath smelling she ate a dozen or so mouthfuls! Im beyond excited and grateful! I'll will head back in soon. I need the Dr now. So I can get better to continue helping my babies! I think it must be nerves as I see no flee bites. I'll vacuum and use a natural spray for the rest of the house. I had a soapy water dish near bed all night and saw nothing this morning. Every bit of info you guys have given has worked! God bless all of you!
I am so happy for both of you! It sounds like you two have a long road of friendship ahead. :)

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She makes me cry I love her so much! She's the sweetest cat I've ever encountered and I've had amazing cats my entire life. She is just putting her head out enough to reach her dishes but stands on the lip of the carrier to reach to my face and literally kiss me. Stinky breath but it's the sweetest smell to me!
She hasn't pottied yet and it's been 24 hrs since she got home but really only sipped liquid till tonight. In the morning hopefully, she'll use the litter that I have leaves and bits of grass topping real litter.
Thank you all! From mourning her death to ecstatic about her life!