Feral cat dazed and 3 days no food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that info. Was not aware. She showed for breakfast and ate maybe 3 tbl spoon with the antibiotic. She drank water and sat with on the ground for for continuous pets for an hour. Tonight major wind and rain are forecasted so I will try to get her this evening to e.r.. She wasn't as dazed. Bordering on alert. But it makes sense what you've said and I will follow your advice. Thank you so very much!!

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just returned from er with Lilly. They said to continue with doxycycline. Blood levels( cbc )shows normal levels. Ears eyes we're fine. Gums good. She's now in my downstairs bathroom. Hasn't left carrier. It's covered with towel and has thick cushioned pad. I put out wet and dry food with doxycycline and water with a litter tray. I hope getting her out of the cold will outweigh the trauma of car and first time inside a house sounds? The wind is up to 40 mph and freezing temps. Did I do the right thing? Or maybe she will not eat and get worse? What do I do?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just returned from er with Lilly. They said to continue with doxycycline. Blood levels( cbc )shows normal levels. Ears eyes we're fine. Gums good. She's now in my downstairs bathroom. Hasn't left carrier. It's covered with towel and has thick cushioned pad. I put out wet and dry food with doxycycline and water with a litter tray. I hope getting her out of the cold will outweigh the trauma of car and first time inside a house sounds? The wind is up to 40 mph and freezing temps. Did I do the right thing? Or maybe she will not eat and get worse? What do I do?
Do they know what caused her to become ill?

I think getting her medical attention was the best thing you could do for Lilly. Can you get a syringe of doxcycline down her? Your house will be a safe haven for her- she will be protected from the weather elements, predators, having to compete for food, and you can closely monitor her.

I would give her some space and let her proceed at her own pace. I am so happy for the both of you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We'll have to wait and see, but YOU did the right thing. And your very best for her. THAT is what counts. She has a chance now, a fairly good one, thanks to you!

This is something my gran told me after a very hard thing happened that I tried and failed to prevent, "Darlin, someday we will stand before our Maker and be judged. But this is what I know, we will be judged on the finest ideal our souls aspired to, not on those failures that are part of our human natures."

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No he said bad food or stagnant water, tick. He's not really sure. Wants 14 days of doxy. If she doesn't eat by Sunday ill take her back

When she calms down a bit can you burrito her up and get some doxy down her?I agree with shadowsrescue- try some tuna water and maybe some warmed up lactose-free whole milk.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll have to wait and see, but YOU did the right thing. And your very best for her. THAT is what counts. She has a chance now, a fairly good one, thanks to you!

This is something my gran told me after a very hard thing happened that I tried and failed to prevent, "Darlin, someday we will stand before our Maker and be judged. But this is what I know, we will be judged on the finest ideal our souls aspired to, not on those failures that are part of our human natures."

Beautifully said.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, that made me cry! Is there anyone that has brought a precious feral in? My mind is full of fear. Since she is feral he said best way was in food. But now I will call and see if i can do that. I do have clavamox powder liquid. I'llcall now

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If by chance she becomes reluctant to eat, Meowmee Meowmee in post #9 gave a good resource and this might also be helpful;

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that made me cry! Is there anyone that has brought a precious feral in? My mind is full of fear. Since she is feral he said best way was in food. But now I will call and see if i can do that. I do have clavamox powder liquid. I'llcall now

I have brought a few ferals and more than my share of strays in. He is probably right, as long as she is actually eating her food. Gypsy was too weak from sickness to put up any kind of fight when I medicated her.

Last edited:

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She hasn't left the carrier and is just staring. What do I do? Leave her be for the night? I can't bring myself to let her go outside. Is that me just being selfish trying to sooth my own fear? This is so sad!!! Dr said can pick up liquid doxycycline tomorrow morning if she hasn't eaten

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She hasn't left the carrier and is just staring. What do I do? Leave her be for the night? I can't bring myself to let her go outside. Is that me just being selfish trying to sooth my own fear? This is so sad!!! Dr said can pick up liquid doxycycline tomorrow morning if she hasn't eaten

Please do not put her outside- that is what started this whole dilemma in the first place- she was outside, got sick, and you couldn't find her,... all because she was outside.

If you put her outside now, she will most likely bolt and you may never see her again. At least with her being inside, you are able to monitor her.

This is all very new to her and she doesn't feel the best, so please ,let her be and allow her to calm down at her own pace. It will be okay.

Last edited:

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. I will stop going in to check on her. Being nearly catatonic will hopefully pass. The whole day has been traumatic for her. The woman that she trusts betrayed her. Wow! This is not easy. But I won't let her outside. Ok deep breath and I'm going to leave her be and go about my evening.
Much gratitude in helping Lilly and me through this🤗😇

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I will stop going in to check on her. Being nearly catatonic will hopefully pass. The whole day has been traumatic for her. The woman that she trusts betrayed her. Wow! This is not easy. But I won't let her outside. Ok deep breath and I'm going to leave her be and go about my evening.
Much gratitude in helping Lilly and me through this🤗😇

Yes, don't hover over her, that is not doing either one of you any good. Yes she is traumatized, but she is in a secure, safe, and warm place now- and that is more than any kitty could ask for. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She hasn't left the carrier and is just staring. What do I do? Leave her be for the night? I can't bring myself to let her go outside. Is that me just being selfish trying to sooth my own fear?
Yes, leave her as she is. As long as she's not struggling and trying to escape by banging against the carrier. Turn down the lights or have a night light in the room and play some soft classical music for her and whenever you enter the room, announce your arrival with a soft loving voice calling out her name and say 'Mummy's here'.

Don't forget to keep doing the slow blinks with her.

Agree with jefferd18 jefferd18 , do not let her out again.

The whole day has been traumatic for her. The woman that she trusts betrayed her. Wow! This is not easy
Yes again for this as we have to go through this with the cats and if we don't, no one else would and they may not have the best of life. We only act villain for a moment and after the ordeal is over, rest assure that Lily would be the most thankful and appreciated cat to you for what you are doing for her.

Just don't give up and keep assuming her and we are here to help :agree:

Last edited: