Feral cat behavior is confusing and painful. Help.

Kimberley73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! New member, thanks for any insight. A male cat (unneutered), seemingly feral, came to our home and didn’t leave (we were adopted); that was 7+ months ago. I started feeding him after he’d been on our deck a couple days. He was extremely skittish, appeared young and was thin. He swiped at us, a lot. Fast forward:: he hangs out on/under our deck all the time, day and night, (he has 2 boxes, toys, fresh food and water.) He meows, WILL let you pet him and lays down and rolls over, seemingly being playful and comfortable. He hisses if we speak to him from the other side of the door - him outside, us in. The issue: every time we walk away from him, he swipes/attacks, drawing blood. Why? Are our feet threatening? Is it a “please don’t leave” type issue? Or is he angry? I had indoor cats years ago but never a cat who wasn’t socialized. I only want what’s best for him and am lost. (We also have 2 indoor dogs but they are separated. Cat “lives” on the back deck and dogs only go out in fenced front yard.)

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this could be a fear reaction. When you move, he isn't sure if you are going to hurt him or not, so his flight or fight reaction kicks in. Lots of cats, especially toms, who have had to fend for themselves, will choose fight over flight, and that's why he attacks you, to fend you off before you can hurt him, so to speak. Make sure you move very slowly whenever you are around him, and try backing away before you walk away from him. Avoid eye contact where you can as well.

If you can, getting him neutered would be a great way to help prevent more cats like him without a home, and can help settle him down :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimberley73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this could be a fear reaction. When you move, he isn't sure if you are going to hurt him or not, so his flight or fight reaction kicks in. Lots of cats, especially toms, who have had to fend for themselves, will choose fight over flight, and that's why he attacks you, to fend you off before you can hurt him, so to speak. Make sure you move very slowly whenever you are around him, and try backing away before you walk away from him. Avoid eye contact where you can as well.

If you can, getting him neutered would be a great way to help prevent more cats like him without a home, and can help settle him down :)
[/QUOTE

Thank you. I will try backing away slowly. I didn’t realize eye contact was a trigger; will keep that in mind, as well. I definitely want to have him neutered. Working toward that for sure!

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! New member, thanks for any insight. A male cat (unneutered), seemingly feral, came to our home and didn’t leave (we were adopted); that was 7+ months ago. I started feeding him after he’d been on our deck a couple days. He was extremely skittish, appeared young and was thin. He swiped at us, a lot. Fast forward:: he hangs out on/under our deck all the time, day and night, (he has 2 boxes, toys, fresh food and water.) He meows, WILL let you pet him and lays down and rolls over, seemingly being playful and comfortable. He hisses if we speak to him from the other side of the door - him outside, us in. The issue: every time we walk away from him, he swipes/attacks, drawing blood. Why? Are our feet threatening? Is it a “please don’t leave” type issue? Or is he angry? I had indoor cats years ago but never a cat who wasn’t socialized. I only want what’s best for him and am lost. (We also have 2 indoor dogs but they are separated. Cat “lives” on the back deck and dogs only go out in fenced front yard.)
thank u for feeding him. i have 2 ferals in my back yard. i have trapped them and had them neutered. it is the right thing to do. after 10 yrs for one and 6 for the other, i have learned to be slow and cautious. they will swipe.i do think your cat never learned how to interact with humans and he may be just playing. but i also think it wont change. i think it is a "please dont leave yet" cats dont get angry unless u harm them. he just doesnt know. pet him when u can and b grateful! btw-one of my ferals does that rolling and flirting but my older one. never has. u r doing your best! bless u! i have learned a lot abt cats observing my two ferals!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worked with a lot of ferals socializing them. You are doing great with him and thank you for giving him love and help! Swatting can be many things but I do think he wants to be close to you and have more of your attention. My ( previous ferals) are not afraid but do this sometimes to hold me near or get more play/ pet time. Ferals can do this as play since they don’t know human rules and it is possible that he has some concern about movement. Just keep loving him and working with him. You might consider putting a shelter for him on the deck and letting him get used to seeing you inside the house. Maybe put something that carries your scent near the door and in the shelter ( like a shirt you wore) because he probably picks up the scent of the dogs. He may think the movement he sees inside is the dogs. Any chance you could let him be an inside kitty? Would your dogs harm him? If he could be inside, there are ways to introduce him to the dogs after he gets socialized to inside and more to you. All the advice from others is good! Getting him neutered will help to ease some of his stress and nervousness. I would advise keeping him confined after the new experience of going to the vet. He will probably be a bit nervous afterwards and may go into hiding for a little while if you just release him back outside. They don’t usually go far but if that would worry you, setting up a catio or other space can solve a lot of concerns. A small bathroom inside or garage space can work well too. Even a large cage can work. When you reach that point, if you have any questions, please post back. There are many people here who have worked a lot with ferals who will be very happy to offer help. You have my gratitude for helping this cat. I wish everyone would do what you are doing! You are a kitty hero!

Kimberley73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have worked with a lot of ferals socializing them. You are doing great with him and thank you for giving him love and help! Swatting can be many things but I do think he wants to be close to you and have more of your attention. My ( previous ferals) are not afraid but do this sometimes to hold me near or get more play/ pet time. Ferals can do this as play since they don’t know human rules and it is possible that he has some concern about movement. Just keep loving him and working with him. You might consider putting a shelter for him on the deck and letting him get used to seeing you inside the house. Maybe put something that carries your scent near the door and in the shelter ( like a shirt you wore) because he probably picks up the scent of the dogs. He may think the movement he sees inside is the dogs. Any chance you could let him be an inside kitty? Would your dogs harm him? If he could be inside, there are ways to introduce him to the dogs after he gets socialized to inside and more to you. All the advice from others is good! Getting him neutered will help to ease some of his stress and nervousness. I would advise keeping him confined after the new experience of going to the vet. He will probably be a bit nervous afterwards and may go into hiding for a little while if you just release him back outside. They don’t usually go far but if that would worry you, setting up a catio or other space can solve a lot of concerns. A small bathroom inside or garage space can work well too. Even a large cage can work. When you reach that point, if you have any questions, please post back. There are many people here who have worked a lot with ferals who will be very happy to offer help. You have my gratitude for helping this cat. I wish everyone would do what you are doing! You are a kitty hero!
Thanks for the reply and kind words. I didn’t word my post very well but our back deck is enclosed. Has a roof and is completely screened. We leave the door open and that’s how he got in. There is also furniture there, which he makes use of😁. Backyard is also fenced, though a gate separates the back and front. I am open to letting him in, when I feel safer- when I can (somewhat) predict his behavior and responses. My dogs are each 90 pounds + and are 11. I wouldn’t do anything to make them feel uncomfortable. It’s a balancing act right now. I just wanted to know if I’m doing a disservice to him, by not accurately decoding his needs. 🐱

Kimberley73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank u for feeding him. i have 2 ferals in my back yard. i have trapped them and had them neutered. it is the right thing to do. after 10 yrs for one and 6 for the other, i have learned to be slow and cautious. they will swipe.i do think your cat never learned how to interact with humans and he may be just playing. but i also think it wont change. i think it is a "please dont leave yet" cats dont get angry unless u harm them. he just doesnt know. pet him when u can and b grateful! btw-one of my ferals does that rolling and flirting but my older one. never has. u r doing your best! bless u! i have learned a lot abt cats observing my two ferals!
Thank you. I 100% agree with everything you stated. I appreciate the advice.