Feral Cat Aggression with each other

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been taking care of 3 feral cats this past year, and 1 addtional cat since this past October, 4 in total. 2 males and 2 females, none are neutered. My problem is with the 2 females. The aggressor is a Siamese, the other is a smaller, but full grown Bombay. Both are about the same age, around 20 months. I have been caring for the 3 since the middle of January of last year about 2 weeks after my elderly dog had passed. These 3 "cat teenagers" appeared out of no where, and have filled the pet loving gap of my heart. They all got along beautifully, all would eat together and were no problem.

The picture changed this past fall, when both of the females who had kittens last spring had left home, out on their own, or given to loving homes. The Siamese had made the front yard her territory while raising her kittens and the Bombay made the back yard her territory with her kittens. The spring and summer went along peacefully. When the kittens were weaned and are gone and it was just the adult females, the larger Siamese had decided that both the back and front yards are now hers and will attack the smaller Bombay when she enters the back yard for morning and evening feedings. It has gotten so bad that the Bombay will run up a tree and onto the roof to get away from the larger female. I am at my wit's end. When the smaller female feels safe and proceeds to get down from the roof, she will jump back onto the tree and I am deathly afraid that one of these times she will miss judge and fall onto the ground. (It's a long ways down) If anyone has any advice, please, please speak. thanks

The 2 males have never been part of the problem, they are both just happy to be!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Mazie,

Welcome to The Cat Site. Thank you for trying to help these cats. I think that by feeding them and allowing them to have kittens you are actually making the problem a lot worse. Female cats are very territorial and naturally want to protect their kittens, so this is why they are being aggressive with each other. Also, if you continue to feed them and allow them to breed the number of cats will keep increasing until you have more than you can cope with. There are already a lot of unwanted stray cats in the world, so lets try not to make the problem worse.

Is it possible for you to pet these cats? If you can pick them up or maybe coax them into a carrier you should take them to a vet and get them fixed before any more kittens are born. If not, you could use a humane trap to catch them with. You should get the male cats fixed too because even if they don't fight with each other there is a good chance that they'll get into serious fights with other feral cats. They could be badly injured and will probably end up with FIV or FIL, both of which are fatal.

Check to see if there are any vets in your area that deal with feral cats. they'll be cheaper than your regular vet and will be able to treat the cats for fleas and worms and vaccinate them at the same time. All very important if you want them to stay healthy.

Check out Alley Cat Allies, they might be able to help you with trapping.

http://www.alleycat.org/Trap-Neuter-Return

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, spaying and neutering is the key.  Both in overall, and also here in this especial situation. The siamese-look alike will be less territorial when spayed, and thus, less hostile.

Spayed females can still be territorial, but the territory will be smaller.  Probably just the front perch.

Use a trap if you can not yourself coax them to a carrier.   If you have some rescue or TNR group nearby, they can surely help you with advice and perhaps even active help, perhaps even including the vet fees...

Tx a lot for caring!

Good luck!

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you said, these animals have filled a gap in your heart. They need your care, for sure. And that care includes making sure they stay healthy. Spaying and neutering them is the best way to insure that. They won't fight, won't wander (and potentially be hurt ) and most importantly of all, won't make new babies.

You've done a good job so far. Finding homes for some of the kittens was nice. However, you've probably realized there aren't enough homes for them all. I can't imagine you want more cats and I know you don't want to be the reason those wandering kittens either get killed by cars or don't find a compassionate human like you to feed them.

Alley Cat Allies is a great resource for info about free and low cost spay and neutering programs. Good luck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELCOME and thank you so much for caring for these feral cats but as the other's have said, they need to be fixed. My motto is this; IF you feed, don't let them breed. Then you will be responsible for more and more kittens being born into the wild. We are here to help and support you in anyway possible throughout this process of trapping these cats and getting them TNRd. We don't want to bombard you all at once here! We have all been in your shoes before and this is the way we have all learned the right way to help feral cats too. It will be very rewarding for you to help these female feral cats so they stop having kittens and lead a much more fulfilling, peaceful and healthful life. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Some more reading and helpful links.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/16045/h...ng-and-low-cost-or-free-spay-neuter-resources

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/saving-feral-cats
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/handling-feral-cats
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-abc-of-tnr
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/keeping-feral-cats-safe-during-winter-months

Last edited: