Feral barely eating

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last month the two ferals I've been caring for since they could walk ( 3 years) started only showing up for breakfast. They have looked fine and eat a very big breakfast so I've not been too concerned. Even though I miss seeing them. Last week the one I'm very close to started leaving food in her bowls. First eating less wet and more dry. Than only dry and the last two days It doesn't look like she's eating more than a few bites. She waits till I come back for the dishes to get pets and have a chat though. She is starting to look thin. Not horrible but it doesn't seem like she's catching enough of her own food as I thought might be the case or is suffering from parasites, flees or ticks. I use to apply revolution plus but the last time I tried it (May) she really freaked her out so I haven't done it again. I've tried to just "mock apply " but when I touch the back of her neck she runs. Even if I'm only petting she is frightened of the meds being applied there. I really think she needs the revolution but don't think I can get it on her.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her through this? I know about the stinky foods etc. and will try if she stops eating altogether. It has been really hot too so I thought that might be a factor. My house is backed up to dense woods where it is much cooler so I know they have a good place to be in the heat but I think she's suffering from all the things the revolution prevents and kills. I only apply it in the summer months . I've been giving them L lyscene. I don't know if I need to let her be and just watch and see or ???
Does anyone have any wisdom or experience with similar feral issues?
I always get support and understanding here so I'm very hopeful y'all have info that might help!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try to get a de wormer such as dontral. It has a very very nasty taste and is really hard to disguise. I have broken the tablet in half and placed in a gel capsule and then into a pill pocket. I believe there are some dewormers that are liquid that might work too. They can be mixed into wet food. If you have a vet you use, call them and ask for help.

Is there any chance the cats are getting food elsewhere? From another caregiver? Are the cats spayed/neutered?

Over the years the feral cats that I have cared for would ebb and flow with eating. In the hot summer months, they would often be less visible and not as much. Be sure they have access to fresh cool water at all times. Gerber stage 2 baby food ( turkey or chicken) is often a winner and most cats just love it. Try it if you think they are not eating much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The temperature dropped nearly 30 degrees oovernight and she ate like a champ this morning so it would seem to me she is affected by the heat. I will get the get her stage 2 to have on hand. They are spayed. It is totally possible they are eating at another caregivers. When I call into the woods she often comes running but not interested in food. I will try a dewomer. Thanks for the tips!