Feral and Stray Felines Are Too Precious To Be Considered Disposable

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over the last four decades I've observed callous disregard, and sometimes even contempt, exhibited by individual people and the collective community toward these often-suffering sentient beings.

I grew up knowing a few cat-haters willing to procure sick satisfaction from torturing to death those naively-trusting thus likely sweet-natured cats whose owners had recklessly allowed them to wander the neighbourhood at night.

Also worrisome are the unfavourable attitudes toward cats openly expressed by news-media commentators, whose views, however reckless, can be influential.

When the editor of a community newspaper wrote a column about courthouse protestors demanding justice in 2014 for a Sarnia, Ontario cat shot in the head 17 times with a pellet gun, destroying an eye, she declared: “Hey crazy people, it’s [just] a cat.”

Maybe the court also perceived it so, as the charges against the two adult perpetrators were dropped.

Elsewhere, an otherwise liberal-minded national columnist twice (of which I know) openly stated her dislike for cats.

In an Oct.30, 2017 opinion (“How to silence heckling MPs in the animal House”) she wrote that Canadian politicians should replace their traditional rude heckling with caterwauling: “My vote is for meowing because I don’t like cats and I’d like to sabotage their brand as much as possible. So if our elected politicians are going to be disrespectful in our House of Commons, they might as well channel the animal that holds us all in contempt.”

I search-engined the Internet but found nothing to even hint as to why she so publicly dislikes felines. I know their reptilian vertical slit pupils and defensive fanged hisses don’t help their cause.

(As for my own house cat, Simon, I feel he appreciates me as much as I show mine for him.)

The above comments and criticisms about cats might reflect on why feral-cat Trap/Neuter/Release programs, regardless of their documented success in reducing needless suffering, are typically underfunded by governments as well as private donors.

There are staggering numbers of these distressed souls in some B.C. municipalities, where well-known old-problem rampant feral and stray cat populations are allowed to suffer severe malnourishment, debilitating injury and/or infection.

Could there be a subconscious human perception that the value, or lack thereof, of such animal life (if not even human life in regularly war-torn or overpopulated famine-stricken global regions) is reflected by its overabundance and the protracted conditions under which it suffers?

I fear a possible presumption of feline disposability, i.e. ‘there is a lot more whence they came’.

Only when over-populations of unwanted cats are greatly reduced in number by responsible owners consistently spaying/neutering their felines, will this beautiful animal’s presence be truly appreciated, especially for the symbiotic-like healthy relationships (contrary to common misinformation) they offer their loving owners.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Off the topic of what you intended, I would imagine - but, this goes on with not only cats, but all wildlife in general. Loss of preservation lands due to over-construction...animals vilified because they are chased from their natural habitat and feed off of anything they can, which is the nature of animals. A lot going on, my friend, not just cats, but all animals in general.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unlike other, naturally wild animals, the cats about which I’m talking are in their dire situation due to callous humans acquiring cats/kittens, not spaying/neutering them before eventually disowning (e.g. very cruelly intentionally leaving the pet cat behind to fend for itself when its owner moves) or just recklessly allowing them to wander the neighbourhood (even at night) to procreatively copulate.

It’s much too inexcusably common for this (in)human(e) conduct in this day and age of our supposedly advanced Western civilization—especially in Surrey (B.C.), which, the last I heard, had about 36,000 of these sentient beautiful feral and stray cats.

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
—Immanuel Kant

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There was recently a post on my neighborhood app with someone complaining about what to do with all these stray cats! I tend not to bite peoples heads off but just couldn’t take this one. By the time I finished and posted my Lengthy response I was happy to see many others had posted also. Compassion, empathy, TNR, colony caretakers and local laws had all been brought up. The original poster was clearly unmoved but at least all the information on what a person can do to help these suffering creatures is now on there to see. I will just never understand I loved on my two boys a little longer that night. They give me so much more than I could ever repay

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ignorance is a sad thing. Cruelty is inexcusable. To any creature. I actually fight against the very things you mention. It may seem imosdibke but one person, like you, can start a tidal wave of change. One voice crying out can be heard by others. Advocate to everyone you meet. Educate. Never give up. I had a colony of over a hundred right by my land. They were being tortured and abused in the worst ways. When I saw, I started my personal battle. I called in authorities but in these days of technology, Video evidence is the only thing that seems to carry weight in court. Even we’ll known and established good citizens have doubt cast upon them by attorneys who are paid to save criminals. So, I started rescuing them myself. As fast as I could I pulled in cats and kittens to Spay/neuter and socialize for adoption. It seemed impossible at the beginning but I guarded them until I finally managed to pull in the last cat. In spite of the myths about Ferals being untameable, ferals can be socialized to be loving and happy companions. 78 found loving homes. If one person can do that, then all cats have a chance if we all work to battle for them. Be their voice. Call, text, write and email anyone and everyone. When buying food for your cat, talk to others doing the same thing. Any shelters there? Go help. If you can’t go, call and ask if there is anything you can do. I was first helpful by writing our local politicians. TNR was illegal here at that time. I joined with others and together our voices made enough outcry to get TNR and to save lives. A barn cat program places many of the ferals into the shelter of barns, wharehouses and storage facilities and feeds them. The cats are protected and vet care given and in return, the cats protect their surroundings. If ignorance or hatred goes unchecked it will continue. I assure you that there are others near you who also want to stop the abuse. Their is strength in numbers. Join hands and raise the veil of those blinded to what is happening. Even those who don’t especially like cats are not okay with suffering or abuse. Cat haters are a bit different. They have either developed a fear of them or they are just sort of bitter humans. Maybe even sick individuals. If they are public servants/employees, they have no place voicing a personal opinion in the public. They should desist or be removed from that position. If enough people complain, it can be stopped. Take heart though, public opinion is shifting. People have become tired of all abuse and are no longer willing to support politicians who don’t care. Look for groups who help and join one. For those who tell you that it’s not their problem, tell them that if they are not part of the solution, THEY are part of the problem. Never give up. If you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero.

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ignorance is a sad thing. Cruelty is inexcusable. To any creature. I actually fight against the very things you mention. It may seem imosdibke but one person, like you, can start a tidal wave of change. One voice crying out can be heard by others. Advocate to everyone you meet. Educate. Never give up. I had a colony of over a hundred right by my land. They were being tortured and abused in the worst ways. When I saw, I started my personal battle. I called in authorities but in these days of technology, Video evidence is the only thing that seems to carry weight in court. Even we’ll known and established good citizens have doubt cast upon them by attorneys who are paid to save criminals. So, I started rescuing them myself. As fast as I could I pulled in cats and kittens to Spay/neuter and socialize for adoption. It seemed impossible at the beginning but I guarded them until I finally managed to pull in the last cat. In spite of the myths about Ferals being untameable, ferals can be socialized to be loving and happy companions. 78 found loving homes. If one person can do that, then all cats have a chance if we all work to battle for them. Be their voice. Call, text, write and email anyone and everyone. When buying food for your cat, talk to others doing the same thing. Any shelters there? Go help. If you can’t go, call and ask if there is anything you can do. I was first helpful by writing our local politicians. TNR was illegal here at that time. I joined with others and together our voices made enough outcry to get TNR and to save lives. A barn cat program places many of the ferals into the shelter of barns, wharehouses and storage facilities and feeds them. The cats are protected and vet care given and in return, the cats protect their surroundings. If ignorance or hatred goes unchecked it will continue. I assure you that there are others near you who also want to stop the abuse. Their is strength in numbers. Join hands and raise the veil of those blinded to what is happening. Even those who don’t especially like cats are not okay with suffering or abuse. Cat haters are a bit different. They have either developed a fear of them or they are just sort of bitter humans. Maybe even sick individuals. If they are public servants/employees, they have no place voicing a personal opinion in the public. They should desist or be removed from that position. If enough people complain, it can be stopped. Take heart though, public opinion is shifting. People have become tired of all abuse and are no longer willing to support politicians who don’t care. Look for groups who help and join one. For those who tell you that it’s not their problem, tell them that if they are not part of the solution, THEY are part of the problem. Never give up. If you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero.
Yet, the otherwise quite liberal-minded national commentator I mentioned fails to at all elaborate WHY she dislikes cats; she simply states in one piece that “I never liked cats”, and in another she penned: "I don’t like cats and I’d like to sabotage their brand as much as possible."
I'm always temped to name-and-shame her for those remarks, but I doubt doing so would serve a practical purpose.

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to live in a country where such callous comments (and other hate speeches against any animal) are not allowed and cannot be spread publicly.
As an adult I noticed that people who said they were ‘not an animal person’ held a particular dislike for cats, regardless of their incapacity, unlike humans, for committing vicious acts out of plain malice. I, now 52, believe that along with human intelligence comes the proportionate reprehensible potential for evil behavior simply for its sake.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet, the otherwise quite liberal-minded national commentator I mentioned fails to at all elaborate WHY she dislikes cats; she simply states in one piece that “I never liked cats”, and in another she penned: "I don’t like cats and I’d like to sabotage their brand as much as possible."
I'm always temped to name-and-shame her for those remarks, but I doubt doing so would serve a practical purpose.
I’m not sure how often shaming actually works. I think that causes an equal and opposite reaction. I find that getting an answer to a resonable question can lead to an enlightenment. Why do you hate cats? Their answer could be that something traumatic happened and if you point out that their fear may be real but the conclusion that all cats will bite everyone is illogical, you have a better chance to form a conversation. I have managed to convert a couple of “cat haters” who were actually , seriously fearful. For some reason admitting fear is less acceptable or maybe just confused for hate. That is not to say that true haters don’t exist. They do. Some humans are so sick and twisted they do horrible things. I think that we cannot change them. It takes something far stronger than education to change them. If someone holds an influential office then I think it is wise to ask them to set a good example for those who view them and for those they represent. If they speak in a way that does not represent you and others, then they should be given a chance to know that. If they still refuse to represent, working to enact change is important. Otherwise the fear , ignorance and illness can be spread. We can only try.

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure how often shaming actually works. I think that causes an equal and opposite reaction. I find that getting an answer to a resonable question can lead to an enlightenment. Why do you hate cats? Their answer could be that something traumatic happened and if you point out that their fear may be real but the conclusion that all cats will bite everyone is illogical, you have a better chance to form a conversation. I have managed to convert a couple of “cat haters” who were actually , seriously fearful. For some reason admitting fear is less acceptable or maybe just confused for hate. That is not to say that true haters don’t exist. They do. Some humans are so sick and twisted they do horrible things. I think that we cannot change them. It takes something far stronger than education to change them. If someone holds an influential office then I think it is wise to ask them to set a good example for those who view them and for those they represent. If they speak in a way that does not represent you and others, then they should be given a chance to know that. If they still refuse to represent, working to enact change is important. Otherwise the fear , ignorance and illness can be spread. We can only try.
I did ask the writer (if I recall correctly) via 2 Facebook messages why she feels the way she does about cats, but I received no reply.
One theory I have is that she may have been repulsed by the sight of a male cat biting/holding onto the back of a female's neck (skin) during mating. It may be misperceived as the male forcing himself onto (or sexually assaulting?) the female cat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sad all the way. If you got no response then you just need to figure out if anything can be done to stop publicly trying to destroy helpless animals. I do believe in trying to educate but if the person has a closed mind or cannot overcome fear then voting is your best option. Instead of speaking against her, try being vocal in a positive way to help the cats. If public opinion is for cats, she’ll be less likely to be vocal against them.

frankgsterlejr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recall upon reading her anti-cat comments worrying somewhat that if this independent-minded columnist who’s a contentedly-single young woman of colour—a demographic that to me (albeit perhaps stereotypically) is likely to appreciate independent-minded felines, or at least not so publicly dislike them—actually dislikes cats that much, many of her avid readers/fans may take her proclaimed sentiment as a strong indication that cats’ true nature must be seriously flawed.