Feral adult male missing front paw

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Johney has joined the group of ferals that I'm taking care of.  He's missing his front paw and I'm assuming that he had a run in with a trap somewhere along the line before he came here.  It appears to be healed, not leaving any blood marks on the porch decking, and he looks healthy.  He's eating and drinking.  He does use it somewhat for walking and running.  Yeah, he runs.  I'm trying to get him used to me so that i can approach him and get a closer look.  Has anyone else run into this kind of situation?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow!  Haven't had any experience with this but I did once have a feral whose claws had grown back into his paw pads.  He could barely walk.  It took a lot to fix that but I was lucky to find him a barn home, where he happy reigns today.

This guy sounds really tough - and smart, too.  He's found you!

Do you plan to trap him/take him for a vet visit?  It certainly won't hurt to have him checked out.  (And neutered, if he needs it)

Fingers crossed things work out for the poor guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At this time , I'm afraid that if I did anything with or to him he would leave.  At least here he has catfood and water and shelter and with his missing front paw he would never have a chance to survive.  As I said in my first post he appears to be healthy and unless I see something change I would just as soon leave him alone until I get him more socialized with me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

At this time , I'm afraid that if I did anything with or to him he would leave.  At least here he has catfood and water and shelter and with his missing front paw he would never have a chance to survive.  As I said in my first post he appears to be healthy and unless I see something change I would just as soon leave him alone until I get him more socialized with me.
Three legged cats do manage nicely surprising often, if the dont have other  damages too.  Some even manage to hunt, gallopping on only three of the legs.

I know of cases, both in Sweden and here on this forum, where the cat got "amputaded" where he was being homeless, survived this and  healed on his own, and was found and rescued really afterwards, when the worst was already over.

Probably something similiar with yours.   As yours seems healthy, he must either got some help, OR exactly the fact he was healthy and robust, helped him manage and survive.

Also, succesfull semiferales tend to have a good healing meat and good immune system.  Otherwise they would perish, they wouldnt never become succesfull homeless...

Anyway.  He is a natural candidate for trying to trap him, take him in, and trying to foster him.  Even if he probably can survive on his own, especielly if he has some help from you, being de facto your outside kitty.

Tx a lot for caring!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ   Not to sound heartless but I already have 6 cats in the household and one of them has terminal cancer so fostering a feral at this time is just not  possibility.  I do want to tnr but as I said until we have established some kind of bond I just don't want to see him run off because of the trauma physically and mentally.  You know how cats are.  They have to have some kind of trust in you or you have nothing.