Fencing (Purrfect Fence) Worth the Money?

jvdelv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask how did the Purrfect Fence is working for you and your cats? We have three recuses, two boys a girl, one of the boys is a main coon, the other one a short hair cat but very bold and fearless. Our Main Coon want to go out so badly, but after he didn't came home for one night and was injured when he came back the next morning we kept him indoors. That was a year ago.... We feel we should prep the yard so he can go out. The Purrfect Fence looks promising... 

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think for a normal cat the fence would work fine. Our boy cat (neutered at an early age) managed to jump over the fence without tripping the arm! The company said that that is impossible and I told them tell that to watson our cat! so we had to get piping at the hardware store and raise the height up another 11 inches. we also put netting under the canopy of the tree close to the fence. we had already cut the bottom limbs off, but this cat can really jump!  A cat can jump 6 times his length! The previous owners declawed all 4 paws so it is really important for him not to get out.

It is pretty expensive but if it works it is worth the peace of mind and cats need to be cats. Some really need to be outside and are so much happier!

I am not sure how high your Maine coon can jump. Our guy is lean and long!

So Watson has an actual GPS on his  collar, a distance locator, an owner chip in his shoulder and at night and early in the morning we have a flashing collar for him so I can look out and see him right away.

Good luck with your decision!

alice

10kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I installed the Purrfect Fence for my 10 cats when we moved into our house 5 years ago. I live in the northwest and we can get some nasty winds. The fence was so easy to put up after I layed out where each pole went. One person can do it but two makes it go faster and probably a better installation. I put up about 300 feet of fence. When I opened the cat door and the cats went out they were first surprised and then just ran the fence line. Two tried to climb out but I made sure the fabric was not overly tight and it actually relaxed a bit more overtime but none of my cats can climb it. They jump pretty high but I cannot see a cat jumping over without hitting the upper arm. One post here says her cat can and did several times and all I can say about that is she must have a Maine Coon or other large breed. My 2 20 lb cats aren't fat but are big and they have tried to climb the fence and my young 5 lb cat tried too but there was too much slack in the fencing they couldn't get higher than 3 feet. Expensive yes. I paid close to $2200. But I sold a horse for $4000 and used those funds. Other than that it is high price but the fact my cats spend most of the day outside, it was worth it to me. After 5 years there has been no maintenance except replacing a couple worn out wire ties. If you put the fencing up snug between the posts it will stay that way. I put enough slack to make it really tough to climb but not enough to look weird. If you are a really crazy cat person like me the cost was minimal considering the enjoyment I and the cats have. Not to mention my cats safety. They can't get out and other animals can't get in. If you are real handy with tools and materials you could probably create one yourself. I was in a hurry and just wanted it up.

Calcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking to find out currently what peoples experience is with purrfect fencing. I'm considering it in front of our house out in mid California on a ranch for our 4 cats. Any feedback about this product now would be appreciated!

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I needed to put a sturdy, long lasting cat proof fence around a large area, as cheaply as possible, and this is the system that is working for us. Probably not something people would want in an urban backyard, but in a rural situation it blends in well, keeps cats in and most other critters out.
(Sp2021) SAVANNAHGANS® - THE International Savannah Cat Magazine

Last edited:

Calcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

LouisTheCatster22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread seems very dated but thought I'd give some insight into my recent experience!

After extensive research (kicked off by some mixed reviews in here) and speaking with their customer success team, it appeared the brand and product have improved drastically over the years. I got comfortable and decided to make the investment - I've had a delightful experience from start to finish (see picture for the finished product). So far no escapes! You can barely even tell there is a fence from a distance (blends right in). Yes, it was an investment but it actually ended up being significantly cheaper than a local fencing contractor quote I received to have a full-size fence installed from another company without any cat-proof netting (also impressed with the quality - this thing is sturdy built). I definitely recommend this product to my cat friends.

Attachments