Fencing (Purrfect Fence) Worth the Money?

lalita-g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on if you have fence currently or not, I checked out catfencein.com and got a better deal.  The owners even found me a person that had installed it in my city and I went to the home and viewed it myself.  They also have a one year money back guarantee.

I also looked at Purrfect fence, and I am fine with buying the catfencein.  Let me know what happened?

Thank you,  Ameobia
I spent £1350 last month on fencing in my new kittens, purrfect fence have not sent me all the bits, instructions are missing, screws that were promised were not included, and a broken arm has not been replaced, I am in dispute now with paypal mediating, wish I had never bought from this company.

Last edited by a moderator:

lalita-g

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would add to my previous disgruntled post that I have now received the missing parts, I have had to make numerous calls and a claim on paypal to get it all, and then the screws I w as promised don't fit my width of fence. The guy seemed really nice to talk to, and I think the product is good, but customer service is bad, maybe it's a one man business and if he's ill a lot as he claims and its not intentional, but if you run a business you have to get help or do something, not ignore unhappy customers.

cw2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so grateful for these posts! My husband I are relocating (against our will) from the country to a subdivision with our 8 cats (mostly strays we rescued) and we are trying to decide between Purrfect Fence or Cat Fence In. These cats are accustomed to roaming the outdoors and I'd like for them to be safely contained in our new backyard. We have installed a 6' privacy fence so I think either system would work. It seems cat fence in has been used by more people here. Does anyone have any updates (as I noticed some of these posts are many years ago)? Thank you all that posted with advice! It has been very helpful so far.

char318

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wondering if you installed the fence from Purrfect Fence and if it's working?  I've got quite a large yard (1/2 acre) that I want to use this on.  So glad for this thread so I know which ones to stay away from.  I've got two kittens almost 6 months old.. that at some point I would love to give a save yard to play in. I just have to make sure they can't jump over the fence or that stray cats or other wildlife (i.e. Coyote) can't jump in

char318

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
leaning toward Cat Fence In based on this thread's reviews.... 

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will be my 5th year with the purrrfect cat fence. Maine here so harsh winters.. It has held up great not one problem with it.. My cats love going out one system was a good size ..Mine is attached to the side of the house I have a window that I leave open so they can come and go as they please.. I have 6 cats 4 siamese so 4 of my cats are very agile and good climbers. not one has really even attempted to climb the fence.. It wiggles enough so they don't like it so don't try.. even if they did they could not get out.. I love it and would purchase one again. its worth it for the piece of mind knowing they are safe.. I do shut them in at night...

Last edited:

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been dealing with our cat for 2 years trying to keep him in the back yard.

A little history about Watson. He lived his first 2 years in a one room apartment with his sister Zoe. Both cats have all 4 paws declawed by the previous owner. She is 7 lbs and he is 17 lbs.
The second summer I was out with the cats watching them and right in front of me he leaped over the 6 foot fence without even touching the top!! I was shocked By the time I got to the other side of the fence he was back in our yard. Then with me standing there, he did it again!!

To make a long story a little shorter, we tried 3 other methods of securing the fence. He managed to figure out how to get out every time!
So we broke down and spent a huge amount on a PurrFect Fence and put it up according to all the instructions which you have to go to the site for because none are included.

I bet you are expecting this to turn out positive. Well no . After only 3 months once again he managed to LEAP over the fence without tripping the arms!. It took 2 hours to finally get him home.

So we have ordered a GPS unit for his collar so we can at least find him quickly and are once again putting up additional netting
I am sure that for most cats the fence is fine. But if you have a large determined cat don't trust ANYTHING short of a yard sized cage. Yes he is neutered.
I was assured by the company that there was no way he could jump over this and that a cat can only jump 5 feet?!

Yea right. Well, tell our cat that, because apparently no one told Watson.
This is the morning after his prison break.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Your story really made me laugh @Elody21  I have a large enclosure for my cats made of wooden fence posts and deer netting. It's over 5 feet tall and has the top angled inwards, which cats are supposed to be unable climb over.

One of my cats, Button Moon, gets out no matter what we do. I've modified the fence several times but it makes no difference to him, he hangs upside down and hauls himself over the overhang. I live in the middle of a forest far from any roads or people, but all the same........

I looked at Purrfect Fence but it was just to expensive to buy over here, having read your story I'm glad I didn't bother.

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Watson again. 

Yes, It has been quite a production

I have never seen a cat jump so high so easily.

Both he and his sister have beautiful personalities. With all 4 paws declawed he can't run free. We did not declaw them. They are adopted at 2 years old.

We are in the process of raising the brackets, and also adding an extension to the bar again raising it higher.

My husband thinks this will do it and I think it will probably take him a couple months to figure out how to get out  again.

SO.............................

He has a chip in his shoulder, a locator for close up, he now has a real GPS on his collar , a large bell as an early warning for birds,( he has become quite a hunter), and the new thing for only out side at night, a red flashing collar. I know it sounds like a lot but he is very clever.

When we first got him. he figured out how to open the porch door by pulling on a tiny rip. We had to put guards on the screens and locks on the doors.

Our cats usually live to around 18 years so we have a long way to go.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Watson looks like quite a character. Amazing that he can hunt even without his claws.

I think if a cat is really determined to get out he'll find a way. One of our TCS members works at a shelter. Their feral cat's enclosure has a 2 meter high electric fence but some cats have managed to get over it

Here's my home made fence.

And here's Button Moon, using it as a hammock.

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Button Moon is really cute and not spoiled at all!! Ha! Ha! he loves his hammock!

It is said, There are no spoiled cats,   just well trained owners!

My husband and I say it is nice of them to let us live in their house!

Great fence!The one we have is attached to the wooden fence. It does not come out into the yard as far as yours does.

I'll post a photo when we get the modifications done.

Watson is the first cat we have had that brings everything in ALIVE.

The bell has pretty much taken care of him catching birds but I still have to watch him very closely because he loves to catch voles and mice. I even have bells strung under the pine trees where he would sit and wait for the birds.

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we took Watson out in the yard supervised. By the house we have a 6 foot fence with another 2 feet of lattice.

After checking out the entire fence he sprinted and climbed up 8 feet of fence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has NO claws at all.
Not even back claws!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He looks at everything we do as a challenge.

I think the vet is right. He thinks he must have some Savannah blood.
17 lbs and no fat !

Watson - 4            Us - 0

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

He probably looks at your fence as some kind of climbing frame you've built for him. Putting an over hang on it might work, some people have attached chicken mesh to the top of their fences. Something like this would be easy enough to do.

Do you have any outdoor cat trees for them? Something else he could climb and scan his territory from the top of?

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only place in the yard that does not have the Purfect fence is that one place.

Before he goes out again we are going to put an overhang on that section too. We didn't think that a cat with no claws could climb an 8 foot fence. With a running start he actually climbed it!

The Purfect Fence has an overhang but he has managed to jump the height and the depth of the fence anyway. We have plans to raise it up even higher.

Any form of cat tree that could be higher than the fence so he could see would just enable him to leap right over. We have had to cut the lower branches off of the trees close to the fence because he would just in the tree climb up higher than the fence and then leap over the fence. That was one of the previous problems. We also today put netting around the one tree left that he has been eyeing.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Please post some pictures of whatever you do. I'm always interested in how other people keep their cats in. It's an ongoing battle keeping my cats inside the enclosure, they're constantly trying to find new ways to climb over or tunnel under the fence.

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just realized you are in Japan! Wow! My son and husband both have been to Japan.

elody21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband was in Tokyo for business , My son was in Tokyo and then went other places for site seeing. he went for  vacation.

We live in Illinois about 45 miles west of Chicago.