Female mother constipated??

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth 2 weeks ago and I have noticed that she has been "gassy" lately, but this evening I noticed that it has gotten worse.  I think she may be constipated.  What can I do to help her?  thanks

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been eating solid food regularly?  Do you have her on canned food or only dry?  While she is nursing, she needs the extra water in canned food although if she is used to kibble, you can leave that down for her all the time.  I am not sure about the gas problem but it may have to do with the food she is eating.  She would do best on a quality food with meat the #1 ingredient and no wheat, soy or corn.  If she is truly constipated, MiraLax is recommended by many cat owners on this site, but I would watch her litter box carefully to make sure she isn't goin before trying anything like that.  Do read the labels on her food, because many commercial foods are really not good for nursing cats.  If the first ingredient is "ground yellow corn," you definitely need to be changing her food.  We can be more helpful when you tell us a little more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. I have always been feeding her Friskies wet canned food, have been for the past 1.5 years, the lenght of time I have had her and she loves this brand. I also keep some cat kibble to munch on the side. Since she is nursing, I make sure she has 2 full cans of wet food available to her while I am away at work, along with the kibble on the side. I have been sticking with Friskies because it is affordable. She always has had several bowls of cold (ice in the summer) water available to her. I will read the label carefully on the can when I get home from work to see what the top, main ingredients are on the can. I know she is hydrated plenty, always make sure she has plenty of water. She has had 2 other litters, (promise, this is her last) and never had this problem before and I have been feeding her the same for all three pregnancies/lactating periods. I of course will continue to keep an eye on her problem, read that label for Friskies when I get home, consider a change to another wet food, at least while lactating, and the Miralax as a back up. What about a teaspoon of canned pumpkin? I read somewhere that can be used for constipation or was is diahhrea?? Can't remember which. Please advise. Thanks again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pumpkin is for diarrhea.

We recommend a small amount of olive or vegetable oil mixed in with her wet food to soften things up and get her moving. Her system may be sluggish for whatever reason this go round.

Fancy Feast is an affordable wet food alternative with the first ingredient being meat or fish. My cats love it.

Since you are planning to spay your cat, please do not let her outside before then. She can be spayed when her kittens are eight weeks old, but she may go into heat prior to that.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Friskies as well, although I try to stick with the Loaf varieties because the others (shreds, filets, flaked) all have wheat gluten in them an the loaf varieties do not.  Fancy Feast is the same, actually made by the same company that makes Friskies, and I use that for anyone who is old or infirm.  I'm feeding 15 cats at the moment so economical is important.  Unless you got a bad can, that food shouldn't cause gas.  Pumpkin is a fine additive as it contains lots of soluable fiber and most of them like it. My vet advised me to use it for a cat with megacolon and it kept him from getting constipated.  It seems to work for both constipation and diarrhea.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for your help. I have always been feeding her Friskies wet canned food, have been for the past 1.5 years, the lenght of time I have had her and she loves this brand. I also keep some cat kibble to munch on the side. Since she is nursing, I make sure she has 2 full cans of wet food available to her while I am away at work, along with the kibble on the side. I have been sticking with Friskies because it is affordable. She always has had several bowls of cold (ice in the summer) water available to her. I will read the label carefully on the can when I get home from work to see what the top, main ingredients are on the can. I know she is hydrated plenty, always make sure she has plenty of water. She has had 2 other litters, (promise, this is her last) and never had this problem before and I have been feeding her the same for all three pregnancies/lactating periods. I of course will continue to keep an eye on her problem, read that label for Friskies when I get home, consider a change to another wet food, at least while lactating, and the Miralax as a back up. What about a teaspoon of canned pumpkin? I read somewhere that can be used for constipation or was is diahhrea?? Can't remember which. Please advise. Thanks again.
Funny enough, it may work for both.   :)   Lets say, it regulates the bowels "straightens them up".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One way to find out, I will give it a whirl, thanks StefanZ, will let you know.

I got lots of good advice on this problem as always from you experts, I can tackle this now. thanks