Female in heat refuses to eat if my boyfriend is around

QueerCatThad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat, an unknown breed, went into heat for the first time a few months ago, and we moved 2 months ago. She has been in heat for a few days and as I have found problems, my partner usual feeds her(we don't freefeed, it's not good for many reasons imo) and she's been eating the same thing for a while now, ⅔ cups dry kibble with a splash of water and a topper, usually 2 tablespoons of plain tuna morning and night) But yesterday she just, ignored the food. Eventually my partner moved her into the bathroom to see if she'd eat and sure enough she had finished eating within 10 minutes. She's not starving. She'll eat s little with me, which is weird. Anyone got any insight?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may come under the heading of "who knows from cats???" So many things do. On the other hand, cats in heat really are slaves to their hormones, which isn't helping at all. I'd highly recommend you take her for spaying as soon as she is out of heat again. Repeated heat cycles are MURDER on their little bodies, and they run a much higher risk of mammary cancer when they are intact, as well as pyometra, a uterine infection that is fatal if not caught in time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueerCatThad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may come under the heading of "who knows from cats???" So many things do. On the other hand, cats in heat really are slaves to their hormones, which isn't helping at all. I'd highly recommend you take her for spaying as soon as she is out of heat again. Repeated heat cycles are MURDER on their little bodies, and they run a much higher risk of mammary cancer when they are intact, as well as pyometra, a uterine infection that is fatal if not caught in time.
She is actually scheduled for Wednesday, I looked it up and a heat cycle lasts about 6 days. She's been in heat for about 4 days so I hope she's out by then. I had to schedule it months out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueerCatThad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No real insight from me either. Heat cycles can 'rile' up some cats. It could just be that the confined bathroom space had a calming effect on her, and she settled down enough to eat.
Alright, guess this works for everyone then. I'll keep doing it till her heat is over.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't think her being in heat is the reason but I wholeheartedly agree that she needs to be spayed ASAP. It's the best thing for all involved.

I think she's doing that because she's a cat and cats do weird stuff. I have two cats, both female and both spayed. Lilith does not like it if I watch her drink. The water dish is in the kitchen next to the short hallway that leads to the living room. I can clearly see it from where I sit. Before she drinks she will look over her shoulder to see if I'm watching. If I am, I get a withering look until I stop. :rolleyes2: